IGNORED

cellphone usage in canada

Cowboy

Need advice on getting my cell phone to work in Canada. I plan on being in different parts of Canada from Ontario to British Columbia for 3 weeks. I have an I-phone thru Straight Talk. Wondering if anyone had any good options. I am not retired so it will be a working / riding vacation.

Thanks

Brian

Best bet, check their web site and see if it has any information about that. I'm on Verizon and if I read it right I get signal and can text, but voice calls and data have to be "turned on" so to speak. It's like 10 bucks to activate plus whatever the calls cost per minute. You may have to call their help line for info.

Need advice on getting my cell phone to work in Canada. I plan on being in different parts of Canada from Ontario to British Columbia for 3 weeks. I have an I-phone thru Straight Talk. Wondering if anyone had any good options. I am not retired so it will be a working / riding vacation.

Thanks

Brian

If your Straight Talk phone is unlocked you can buy a SIM at 7-11 Speakout for $10 Cdn and purchase time for it separately. Minimum $25 for 100 minutes. The talk time is relatively expensive at $.25/min but the time is good for a year and unused time can be rolled over to another year by a minimum purchase of $25. Speakout uses the Rogers Network which is a major provider and Canada wide.

If you don't need cell coverage ALL THE TIME you might want to look into Google Voice. It is a FREE internet based phone number with an app that allow you to send & receive calls or text messages when you have an internet signal. You can set up voicemail for the account and get e-mail transcriptions of the message. Turn off your phone while your on the road, then find a free Wi-Fi signal when your stopped for lunch or dinner and do your business.

If you don't need cell coverage ALL THE TIME you might want to look into Google Voice. It is a FREE internet based phone number with an app that allow you to send & receive calls or text messages when you have an internet signal. You can set up voicemail for the account and get e-mail transcriptions of the message. Turn off your phone while your on the road, then find a free Wi-Fi signal when your stopped for lunch or dinner and do your business.
There are also a number of similar apps such as Skype and WhatsApp that do the same. Some, if not all will connect directly to any phone number for a price otherwise they all require both parties to have the same app for their free service. Works great among friends and families though.

Is this just an issue with Straight Talk? My Verizon phone has always worked when I've been in Canada.
Don't you get roaming charges and or long distance charges when using a service outside the network? There is an issue in the Victoria area and probably other close to the border areas where a call can be picked up by a cell service across the border which results in a huge bill. Apparently, calls can also be picked up by satellite service which results in a bigger than huge bill.

Good info.

Freebird It seems to be Straight Talk from what I can get from them. Verizon does charge high fees but I think you can pay for a different plan that allows calling from canada.

I can call canada friends now it is just when I get up there and try calling home or customers that I will have a problem.

Camos Thanks for the info. I do have a unlocked phone so that should work.

Bratmanxj As long as the camp grounds we camp in have the Wifi I will be using that. Thanks

Anyone else have any knowledge

Thanks