IGNORED

curious if anyone has tried these lights and if they are very bright at all

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for responding, I appreciate any advise. I am also looking at changing the 4 inches ones as well. it seems like you gotta spend a small fortune to get all three of any decent quality, plus I'm trying to free up the electric system for a fairing with radio and gauges. so anywhere I can get the same or better light with less draw it is a bonus. Unless someone knows of a way to boost the output on charging system.

If part of your goal is to reduce power draw, and get more light, the Daymaker is advertised as 70 watts, your stock headlight is 55/60 watts. So the LED will draw MORE power than the stock bulb.

A 35Watt HID will put out way more light than a stock halogen or Silver Star and use less power in the process. Some of the LED headlights are catching up to the HID in light output, but all the ones that I have seen that are close in light output also draw twice the power of the HID to do it.

I do understand that LED is the new easy, modern and cool thing to do. But the higher amp draw is hard on your switches, connectors, wires and charging system. My HID is now 6 years old and 30K miles and all still original. I am currently looking to upgrade my new truck to HID also.

If part of your goal is to reduce power draw, and get more light, the Daymaker is advertised as 70 watts, your stock headlight is 55/60 watts. So the LED will draw MORE power than the stock bulb.

A 35Watt HID will put out way more light than a stock halogen or Silver Star and use less power in the process. Some of the LED headlights are catching up to the HID in light output, but all the ones that I have seen that are close in light output also draw twice the power of the HID to do it.

I do understand that LED is the new easy, modern and cool thing to do. But the higher amp draw is hard on your switches, connectors, wires and charging system. My HID is now 6 years old and 30K miles and all still original. I am currently looking to upgrade my new truck to HID also.

All true and good info with the exception of (30W for low beam); however, where does one mount an HID ballast on a Royal Star ... or any bike without a fairing? This is one of the reason's I went with the LED ... I could not envision a decent place to mount the ballast of the HID.

All true and good info with the exception of (30W for low beam); however, where does one mount an HID ballast on a Royal Star ... or any bike without a fairing? This is one of the reason's I went with the LED ... I could not envision a decent place to mount the ballast of the HID.

I forget what the bike was, but basicly like a Roadstar. the guy mounted it to the frame by tank and steering head. Painted black to blend in. Heck until he told me where it was I didnt even see it. Look for "slim"ballasts they are less then 1/2" thick and maybe 3x3

Look for "slim"ballasts they are less then 1/2" thick and maybe 3x3

I had 2 of those mounted inside the fairing of my XCT. Not long before I sold it, I replaced the headlight with an LED.

the guy mounted it to the frame by tank and steering head. Painted black to blend in.

I'd considered that for my Roady but opted for the LED instead. Simple plug 'n play and nothing else to mount, no wires to route, and at 30w on low beam it's fine. With the driving lights I installed, and that I almost never ride at night, high beam practically never gets used.

I kind of went the other way. For whatever reason the XCT light seems better than the RSV did with a halogen bulb. I dunno maybe the way the reflector is made better or something. So I went with Silver Star Ultras in hi and low beams. Then the other day I got to thinking about maybe putting the modulator back in. So the one I had I was working with ah uhm I dunno what went south but magic smoke started to come out. So I found a signal dynamic one on ebay for like $25 bucks and installed it. Have LED driving lights mounted down by floorboards.

Edited by djh3

For whatever reason the XCT light seems better than the RSV did with a halogen bulb. I dunno maybe the way the reflector is made or something. .

The RSV headlight was using technology from the 60's headlights (well, maybe not quite that far back) .... what's on the XCT is today's technology so that's a 'no-brainer'.

(I'm sure I'll get blasted for that LOL)