IGNORED

Political Correctness is out of control....

SilvrT

Read an article in today's newspaper where a TV news anchor got herself in hot water over her choice of words. She was talking about "recent criticism" for casting white actors "in what one might assume should be a role reserved for colored people". It was the reference to "colored people" ... well, apparently you can't use that as it's deemed as a racial slur. Instead, you must now use "people of color" .... DOH!!

:Avatars_Gee_George:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read an article in today's newspaper where a TV news anchor got herself in hot water over her choice of words. She was talking about "recent criticism" for casting white actors "in what one might assume should be a role reserved for colored people". It was the reference to "colored people" ... well, apparently you can't use that as it's deemed as a racial slur. Instead, you must now use "people of color" .... DOH!!

:Avatars_Gee_George:

I wonder if they'd take issue with Canadians of Color??

I guess it should now be NAAPC.

Now that so many things have English/Spanish descriptions, I read where an African American threw a fit when in Walmart when he was looking for some black paint and saw that it also said negro. He took offense to the word negro being used even tho the word for black in Spanish is negro.

Randy

I take offence at what you said...Canadians are people of COLOUR !

Eh???
Even though he misspelled it, I think perhaps he meant we are colourful.

Now that so many things have English/Spanish descriptions, I read where an African American threw a fit when in Walmart when he was looking for some black paint and saw that it also said negro. He took offense to the word negro being used even tho the word for black in Spanish is negro.

Randy

Since we are on the subject, I have often wondered about the term African American and Latin American and all the other permutations available. Seems to me those terms are racist or at least some kind of "ist". What is wrong with just using American? Everyone is from somewhere else at some point in their history including the aboriginals.

Regretfully, the PC boneheads are starting to talk that way here in Canada as well. You either is or you isn't. I don't like conditional citizenship which smacks of racism, or at least prejudice although somewhat hidden.

Seriously, can someone justify this usage? Am I the only one who thinks this way.

Randy

That would have to be African American paint... Crayola Crayons are next!! :doh:

So.... I learned sometime ago that black is the lack of color, and white is the presence of all color. Maybe this is what the good folks are trying to recterfy for the rest of the propulation.

I got a feeling we'll have to keep a close eye on this thread, so that the language doesn't get colorful.

Just call me Joe Cokamoe

Actually, the term American, when referring to a nation, is not correct. Canadians, Mexicans, Panamanians and all the way to the tip of South America all Americans. We are of the nation of the "UNITED STATES" of America. So, to actually be correct, it would be "African United States of American" or African United Statesian as it would be African Canadian for those up north,

To me, for those of us from the United States to take the term Americans and think it only applies to us is somewhat arrogant, or at least ignorant.

Randy

Actually, the term American, when referring to a nation, is not correct. Canadians, Mexicans, Panamanians and all the way to the tip of South America all Americans. We are of the nation of the "UNITED STATES" of America. So, to actually be correct, it would be "African United States of American" or African United Statesian as it would be African Canadian for those up north,

To me, for those of us from the United States to take the term Americans and think it only applies to us is somewhat arrogant, or at least ignorant.

Randy

Actually if you look at what the peoples of the various nations are called, the nations that have a bunch of words making up their name are called by the most prominent or distinctive part of the name. Hence we are called Americans, people from the United Arab Emirates are called Emirates and the list goes on.

There is only one country on the planet that has the word America in its name, (that I know of) so there is really no ambiguity as to who is being referred to by the term American.

The United States of America is also the oldest country of the American continent.

The whole thing was called America before it was carved up into all of the different countries that now make up the Americas. So it is appropriate and makes sense that the name stuck, we had it first.

OK I'll go put my soapbox back in the corner now................

And we Red men ain't got no color no more. I am about 3/4s Native American. We don't complain much so we get nothing!! Maybe we should go on the Warpath again!! No wait a minute I went to war...for the white man!!! And they wouldn't let me take Scalps! Had to collect Ears!!

Anything I thought about saying on this subject would be considered politically incorrect by someone. So I guess it might be best for me to not say anything.

Yeah just sit there and be quiet Bob!!! Ya know I will!!!:Avatars_Gee_George: It has become such a mess we are hesitant to talk about it!! Had a buddy in the Army that called me nothing Chief. Have to whup him now I guess. Humm...he was a big old Wop!!

Randy

I think you are being a bit hard on Americans and would agree more with FF's take on it.

The United States of America is also the oldest country of the American continent.

The whole thing was called America before it was carved up into all of the different countries that now make up the Americas. So it is appropriate and makes sense that the name stuck, we had it first.

That is very colonial of you. The oldest "countries" would be Inca, Maya or some of the First Peoples that progressed beyond tribalism.

And we Red men ain't got no color no more. I am about 3/4s Native American. We don't complain much so we get nothing!! Maybe we should go on the Warpath again!! No wait a minute I went to war...for the white man!!! And they wouldn't let me take Scalps! Had to collect Ears!!
The controversy regarding sports teams such as The Redskins is a very good example of PC gone ridiculous. While redskins is an example of racial profiling they were also, collectively, an example of fearsome warriors who fought valiantly against the colonial powers. What could be a more appropriate name for a sports team?

It is important to remember we humans are all related and basically want the same things. To raise a family and have a decent life. There are only seven distinct strains of DNA that have been discovered and they all came out of Africa which makes all of us related and probably, initially black.

Getting back to the original concept of Politically Correct, isn't it just foolish to allow or encourage or accept labeling of any kind? Being PC is too stupid to understand they are being stupid.

Seems to be the "Redskins" football team got their name because they wanted to honor a Native American coach or somebody. It was intended as an honor not an insult. As I remember?
That does not appear to be correct. There is an ongoing controversy with regard to The Redskins club. It does appear to be a good example of PC going extreme. Sports teams are generally loved by their fans and I find it hard to believe that the name of a team could be considered in any negative way.