IGNORED

Help --- internet connection problem

Ok today logging in on my desktop all seemed normal but no internet connection when trying to open a web site. Keep in mind the desktop is showing connections at the task bar. The router shows connection with a No Internet above that.

Opening my network settings I'm seeing the router connected for my wireless network. Scrolling down to Ethernet network shows no internet. I did a troubleshooting service and got 3 possible fixes to follow.

Driver(s) for Ethernet adapter, local area connection adapter, & wireless network connection.

I checked all of my pc, router connections. Both mine & Joyce's laptops work fine.

Clues anyone?

Larry

Looking at my network adapters. Will disabling the nic card work as well as removing it? My pc shows 3 cards--- 802.11n wireless lan card, AARIS touchstone device, & Realties PCle GBE family controller. Clicking on them shows drivers up to date .

I have DSL and have had very similar - matter of fact EXACTLY that problem on lots of occasions. Does the "Internet" light on the router appear on with a little green light or is it red? Most times turning off the router and unplugging it for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in and turning it back on reboots the router and takes care of the problem Lar. If that doesnt do it, it is entirely possible that your internet connection between the router and the provider could be interrupted. I am currently having those problems and have been told it has to do with the current rains - I have a tech coming in a week or so to check ours..

Anyway,, I would try the old turning the router off and then back on again - worth a shot..

All the best!

Puc

Check your IP addresses on each computer ... maybe a conflict?

Turn off your Windows firewall and see if anything changes (although it shouldn't cause this)

Which NIC do you normally use ... wireless? Disable the ones you don't use and see what happens.

If it's the wireless, is it trying to connect to a different router other than yours?

Do you use a USB wireless dongle? If so, unplug it and plug it back in. Mine started losing connections and I'd have to do that... I went and bought a new one.

Have you changed the location of your PC? Maybe something within your home is interrupting the signal?

On the routers I did unplug all cables including the power cable while checking their connections. Even hit their reset buttons a couple times. All nice green lights as they should be. Same at back of desktop.

well it could be your card and trying to reinstall may fix but something you should try is if your hard wired and go wireless and see if it connects or if your wireless try going to hard wired if you can.. it can also be somehow if your wired that ethernet cord went bad i have had that happen several times... and here is something else do you by chance have a netgear router it could either be parental controls or the access control and it will happen even if you didnt hit to turn it on and lastly one more thing this is weird cause i had connections on my laptop but none on anything else never did figure it out but after i factory reset my router it fixed the issue and it happened after the storm we had a couple weeks ago it was about the oddest thing i had ever seen happen...

Haven't had a chance to hard wire the desktop yet but wouldn't the router be ok since the two laptops are functioning normally?

Yes

Try direct wire connection ... if you can get to internet that way then something amuss with your wireless device on the PC.

Haven't had a chance to hard wire the desktop yet but wouldn't the router be ok since the two laptops are functioning normally?

Yep,, your right Larry - I missed that point when I first read your post. If the laptops are working fine than its probably not your router. If you click on Control Panel in your program menu - then click on Device Manager and then click on Modem you should see your wireless adapter listed there. Click on the wireless adapter and you should see a window that will tell you if the adapter is working properly.. Maybe your adapter somehow got disabled.

Bypassed the router. No connection for Ethernet shows on screen. Doing a diagnosis results in a driver problem. No results on auto fix. Where is the driver located? In router or desktop?

You mean bypassed the wireless and hard wired the network card to the router?

Drivers for network cards are generally on a CD that comes with your computer or within a folder on the C: drive.

You should delete the Realties PCle GBE family controller, reboot your computer and let Windows find it and install the appropriate driver.

If it can't find the driver on the hard drive, then have it locate it on the CD if you have one. If not, use one of your other computers to find the drivers on the internet and download them to a USB stick and transfer them to your PC and try again.

Yep,, your right Larry - I missed that point when I first read your post. If the laptops are working fine than its probably not your router. If you click on Control Panel in your program menu - then click on Device Manager and then click on Modem you should see your wireless adapter listed there. Click on the wireless adapter and you should see a window that will tell you if the adapter is working properly.. Maybe your adapter somehow got disabled.

Bypassed the router. No connection for Ethernet shows on screen. Doing a diagnosis results in a driver problem. No results on auto fix. Where is the driver located? In router or desktop?

Larry, if you follow the above pathway you will eventually come to a window that tells all about your "modem" - in that window will also be a "driver folder"..

Also, I wonder if you may have gotten some kind of a virus.. You may find doing a system restore will help or maybe even reinstall your operating system.. Speaking of virus stuff - might not be a bad idea to back up all your pics and documents before you get to involved here.. Loosing all that stuff is NEVER fun!!

I have a good pc system again. The solution was to replace the router.

Thanks again everyone, Larry

Glad to hear you're up and running again however, I'm puzzled.

If your other two computers were connecting to the router and accessing the internet, why was it necessary to replace the router just so your computer could connect? Simply doesn't make sense to me so would appreciate some enlightenment ... being a 30 year IT guy I'm always looking to learn something new.