IGNORED

Muffler dilema

I was looking to increase the flow through the exhaust system of my 99 RSTC, by slipping on a Road King muffler (pre-1998). With the help of a mirror, and by crawling partly under the bike, I found to my horror that the "Y" which connects the front and rear exhaust headers is welded to the muffler, as are the cosmetic heat shields. AAARRRGGGHHH! Suggestions, Please...:crying:

I was looking to increase the flow through the exhaust system of my 99 RSTC, by slipping on a Road King muffler (pre-1998). With the help of a mirror, and by crawling partly under the bike, I found to my horror that the "Y" which connects the front and rear exhaust headers is welded to the muffler, as are the cosmetic heat shields. AAARRRGGGHHH! Suggestions, Please...:crying:

Looking at the OEM parts breakdown. A 99 RSTC came with a 4 into 4 muffler setup. Some one has changed it to the RSV setup. In the process they must have welded everything. There should be clamps holding the mufflers and heat shields.

http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/500441cff8700209bc78e9e3/exhaust

Thanks, Toyodie. That is true of a TF, but mine is an ATL. I just looked the ATL exhaust system up on Partshark.com and it definitely shows the rear header, muffler and all of the heat shields are welded from the factory. Man, Mama Yamaha sure did hobble these poor bikes from the get-go, between the puny carbs and the restrictive exhaust. It'd be like one of us trying to run while breathing through a drinking straw. Sheesh! Anyone have some Gen 2 headers for sale...?

The rear header pipe appears to be crimped on to the "Y". The straight pipe from the front header is welded to the "Y", and the "Y" itself is welded unto the muffler. In addition, looking at the Partshark diagram, there is some sort of very restrictive looking flange piece that fits into the rear head pipes at the point where they fasten the the exhaust port.

Hmmm SAw a thread where a fellow installed the old round thrush or "cherry bomb" type mufflers on a earlier RTC. I think he visited a local muffler shop and the made the parts for him to fit.

• 5 weeks later...
So what is the best way of increasing HP on these things. Mine is a 96 RSTC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really dont get much more power out of exhaust, My 97 had 32MM carb swap, Mufflers, KN Flter, Dynatec 3000, and a Vmax rear end. It was pretty quick and was noticeably faster than stock, however the fastest one that I was on was Starfan here on the forum. He had all of my mods plus V Max Cams. That thing just came to life on the top end. Could not believe how quick that thing was!