IGNORED

Riding shirt or light jacket?

cwhite123174

What do you guys use for riding shirts? I am looking for a long sleeve to protect from the sun better than sunscreen. My trip is coming up next month and I want to be prepared. Light, breathable material. I was thing like a rayon polyester blend. Just curious what you all use. Even a light jacket would be fine but my Fieldsheer is just to hot to wear in the summer.

http://www.coolibar.com/

I have one of these (look at the fishing shirt if you want lots of pockets or the sun shirt) and it's great. Very lightweight and never hot, even with the long sleeves. You can sometimes find knock-offs at Sam's Club or Costco.

The link didn't work. It only took me to the website. What kind of shirt is it? Thanks for your reply!

I have had good luck with a long sleeve cotton shirts for hot sunny days. Cotton is good at keeping you cool, you can wet it and almost be cold while it is drying. Cotton is good in the summer for the very reasons it is not recommended in the winter.

There may be modern fibers that work better than cotton at keeping you cool, but I have not found one yet.

On the down side, cotton has very little abrasion resistance to pavement if you are sliding down the road. It will only help you out for the first 2 or 3 inches of the slide.

Second Flyinfool about long sleeved cotton shirt to keep cool and not get a sunburn. Choose a light colour. Wear a mesh jacket for impact protection over the shirt. That's for your basic summer setup but for extreme heat there is specialized gear available that will help to keep you cool and hydrated.

I like the new "weather wicker" kind of like under Armour. I like the long sleeve ones for the very reason you mention. I have had some issues with skin cancer already and I hate having greasy feeling stuff on my arms. Plus on long trips even using sun screen at end of the day it attracts a lot of dirt. Target has some good knock offs as does Wally World. I got a couple for the wife and I from Target that are the brite hi vis green. They were in kind of the sports wear side of dept. If its a little cooler out I will use regular long sleeve t-shirt. The loose fitting fishing type shirts I have a couple. But on the bike I dont care for the flapping they do. I dont care for the "compression" type shirts, the slightly looser fitting ones is what I like. I do have a couple compression ones though I will wear as under layers when needed.

Alot of you may laugh at this but here it goes..... I have a sweating problem. I am a bigger guy. 5'9, 290 lbs. Under Armor isn't an option for me. I may not EVER see these people that will see me but come on... I can't give us bikers a bad name with an image of me in Under Armor now can I? 😆

I did a little research and come up with sleeves. I bought a set of sleeves to try. I figure if they suck, I will throw them away or cram them in the luggage somewhere. I did buy a moisture wicking type material shirt just in case. NOT Under Armor material but kind of like that. That will be my back up plan.

They do make the under armor shirts in a different style besides the "compression" ones is which is the ones that fit really tight. But yea I get what you mean. I have also been thinking about the sleeve things.

I usually like to wear white or a light color....I really like the Under Armour type products as a long sleeve under shirt, they wick well and have good UV protection. On top of that I like to wear a button down shirt...if you have some extra $$$ Columbia make some terrific fishing shirts....light weight and lots of vents.