IGNORED

Shifting problems?

My 06 RSTD is having shifting issues. I've done all the general quick fixes, changed the oil, new clutch fluid and greased the linkage. It shifts hard, mostly downshifting. Any thoughts?

Hi Bill - nice to meet you and :welcome1::2YELLOW: to VR!!

Never owned an RSTD but have fired a few shots with your bikes sister bikes = MK1 Ventures and other hydraulic clutch scoots.. Have experienced similar things of which you speak..

Couple questions,,,, does you scoot tend to want to creep when your in gear with the clutch in at a stop light? Does it tend to worsen as the bike gets warm? Do you ever have to pump your clutch lever to get good clutch? Is it hard to find neutral? Have you fallen on the shift lever or found the need to stomp hard on it to get it into gear?

First thing that comes to mind is making sure you dont have air in the clutch system.. That can result in the clutch not fully disengaging and cause tranny drag if you will.. Also along that line would be an issue with the Master Cylinder issue - possible you have a bad spot on the seal on the piston which is allowing fluid to sneak past resulting in some loss in push on the rod that presses against the pressure plate.. Another possibility could be saw toothing on the clutch basket where the plates ride - what happens in that case is the plates get caught in little wear grooves and this keeps them for being able to move fully. Another possibility is you have some kind of an issue with the little arm that contacts the pins located at the end of the shift drum - a little bit of wear there or something coming loose there could cause it.. Could also be some looseness in the connection where the shifter connects to the splines on the shift shaft - look down by your shifter - find the shift shaft sticking out of the left side of the motor - watch that area closely and see if you see any loosness in connector on that shaft as you move the shifter up and down a little... Maybe take some spray lubricant and lube into the area where the shift shaft enters the motor and lube up any other obvious pivot points..

Wow, that's alot of info. Thank you! I don't get any creep with the clutch pulled in. I just put new fluid in for the clutch and bled it. It does seem to get worse as it warms up. I sprayed the pivot points on the shifter but I'll look closer, maybe I missed one. I haven't needed to pump the clutch. I have had to push pretty hard a few times to switch gears. Everything else you mentioned seems like alot. Where do I start? Thanks again for the help.

I'm not sure if your bike is like the 1st gen Ventures. On them there is a shaft going back from the the shift pedal. I let my nephew ride my bike once and after that it was hard to shift. Guy has size 13 boots and feet and legs to match. He bent the shaft.

Is the problem limited to standing still and trying to shift into 1st? Or is the problem the same while rolling? Is it the same up-shifting or down-shifting?

The clutch is not needed for shifting up or down while the bike is in motion, even going into neutral and first. Up-shifting would feel pretty much the same with or without the clutch. Down shifting requires a bit of rpm finesse and the clutch tends to smooth out down-shifts.

So, if hard shifting is limited to shifting through the gears while standing still, but shifts smoothly while rolling then it could very well be clutch related. Otherwise, it may be more involved.

Heather

It's mostly down shifting but I am noticing more and more while upshifting also. I have no problems shifting standing still. I tried upshifting with no clutch and the shifter won't budge. Thanks!

While standing still I can go through all gears smoothly.

The engine was running, I tried up shifting in all gears while driving and I had to pull the clutch. The shifter won't move at all without the clutch.

It is beginning to sound like the clutch is not the problem. It sounds like the transmission is wanting clutch disengagement in order to shift, which probably indicates resistance within the transmission... perhaps something to do with the shift segment, cam, forks.

Off to work for me.

Heather

Couple questions,,,, does you scoot tend to want to creep when your in gear with the clutch in at a stop light? Does it tend to worsen as the bike gets warm? Do you ever have to pump your clutch lever to get good clutch? Is it hard to find neutral? Have you fallen on the shift lever or found the need to stomp hard on it to get it into gear?

First thing that comes to mind is making sure you dont have air in the clutch system.. That can result in the clutch not fully disengaging and cause tranny drag if you will.. Also along that line would be an issue with the Master Cylinder issue - possible you have a bad spot on the seal on the piston which is allowing fluid to sneak past resulting in some loss in push on the rod that presses against the pressure plate.. Another possibility could be saw toothing on the clutch basket where the plates ride - what happens in that case is the plates get caught in little wear grooves and this keeps them for being able to move fully.

Another possibility is you have some kind of an issue with the little arm that contacts the pins located at the end of the shift drum - a little bit of wear there or something coming loose there could cause it.. Could also be some looseness in the connection where the shifter connects to the splines on the shift shaft - look down by your shifter - find the shift shaft sticking out of the left side of the motor - watch that area closely and see if you see any loosness in connector on that shaft as you move the shifter up and down a little... Maybe take some spray lubricant and lube into the area where the shift shaft enters the motor and lube up any other obvious pivot points..

Puc has covered most of possible faults that are easily accessible. If you are pretty sure the clutch is functioning properly run through his other suggestions and let us know.

Do you have the service manual. Here is a link to the manual http://www.yamahaventure.nl/pdf/servicemanualxvz13tf.pdf

99.9% of the time the clutch bleed was not done properly and you have air in the lines. Bleeding the clutch on a Venture is a PITA. Specially for someone who's never done it before. I my case reverse bleeding is the only way I can get it done, and a Speed-Bleeder to keep it that way. The DOT should be changed every two years, and with the Speed yearly is a piece of cake..... PM on it's way...

99.9% of the time the clutch bleed was not done properly and you have air in the lines. Bleeding the clutch on a Venture is a PITA. Specially for someone who's never done it before. I my case reverse bleeding is the only way I can get it done, and a Speed-Bleeder to keep it that way. The DOT should be changed every two years, and with the Speed yearly is a piece of cake..... PM on it's way...

While standing still I can go through all gears smoothly.

The engine was running, I tried up shifting in all gears while driving and I had to pull the clutch. The shifter won't move at all without the clutch.

Condor,

Bill states that the shifter won't move without the clutch and he can't upshift without the clutch. It sounds like the clutch is not the hindrance to shifting. That is not to say the clutch doesn't need attention also.

What's your take on the linkage, the shiftshaft and the segment and pins?

Heather