IGNORED

Need some measurements or recommendations:

Rob Swallows

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty. It's starting to go together. The box materials are cut to be built and weigh 97 pounds. To this will be the addition of the structural wood glue and stainless nails which will be used w/the air nailer so "almost" all inclusive. The axle weighs 124#'s as it has 7" brakes installed. The tires and wheels are right at 29#'s each when the lugs and center caps are figured in. The swivel hitch for the front weighs right at 12#'s so most everything is there except the perimeter frame both the box, and torsion axle assembly will bolt to. I need to figure how much of an offset for weight vs. cost for the frame and tongue being aluminum which I've not done yet. My brake controller will apply the brakes lightly enough I can still spin the tire(s) by hand, (albeit difficult) when turned almost all the way down, or it can be allowed to free wheel. Regardless, it's not going to lock the wheels on an empty trailer unless I don't turn the controller down.

Appears with the inverter generator, small microwave, place set for four, ice chest, clothing, tent, etc., I'm going to be right at 600 pounds of trailer weight ready to travel figuring a steel perimeter frame. This should allow us four days of fresh clothing of which by then we'll be ready for a break anyway. As mentioned earlier my wife and I are not really large at about 300 pounds, so I'm hoping to not punish the clutch too bad.....

Looks like our first trip out is going to be relatively close to home. I'm foregoing retirement till the end of this year citing two out of three new hires quit amid training so short handed once again. My tower climbing certification is expired and need to attend another three day session in Kansas City to recertify on September 13-16. My wife has elected to go with on the bike. This is good as it's close enough that any troubles can be easily handled.

Nice little genset as it starts remotely from well over 100' distant and is very quiet. Weighs right at 100 pounds with a full bag of fuel but rolls easily. 3400 starting watts, and 3100 running out of 192cc engine so should provide enough power for any campsite we are at. Good airflow across the cylinder fins and I'll fabricate an exhaust extension utilizing a quick disconnect plumbed under the trailer.

Was going to purchase a Honda as the Yamaha is too blasted heavy. This one I can pick up and carry by my lonesome but the comparable Yamaha would put you in the hospital and most likely as would the Honda. Good warranty with a full two years and it runs very well. It powers my wife's 1800 watt hair dryer are slow idle. Literature states it will start a 13,500BTU air conditioner and I may test that theory in the future with my roof air unit.

Inverter.jpgInverter1.jpg

I have a 3,000W geny and it has no problem starting my 13,500 rooftop AC even with the microwave running and all the lights on in the camper.

Part of that tonnage in the Yamaha and Honda generators is the insulation and huge muffler to make them so quiet. Mine is a Baldor that is just a bit louder but still weighs about 135 lbs. It is a HD commercial grade Generator. A lot of the volume of the generator is a huge muffler.

600 lbs is a lot of weight behind a bike. The clutch will not care as long as it is working correctly. stopping the electric brakes will help. I am still thinking of adding electric brakes to my trailer.

Tongue weight will your critical issue. The rule of thumb is 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. 60Lbs is way to much tongue weight for the bike, especially if 2 up with the bikes luggage full to. The number I have always heard was no more that 30 lbs on the tongue to avoid handling issues. It is going to be a close balance of tongue weight, between bike handling and trailer sway. A longer tongue will help both issues. Due to your higher total weight, I would shoot for the distance from trailer axle to ball of 2 times the track width of the trailer. the normal is 1.5 times.

Don't forget progress pics..................

I have a 3,000W geny and it has no problem starting my 13,500 rooftop AC even with the microwave running and all the lights on in the camper.

Part of that tonnage in the Yamaha and Honda generators is the insulation and huge muffler to make them so quiet. Mine is a Baldor that is just a bit louder but still weighs about 135 lbs. It is a HD commercial grade Generator. A lot of the volume of the generator is a huge muffler.

600 lbs is a lot of weight behind a bike. The clutch will not care as long as it is working correctly. stopping the electric brakes will help. I am still thinking of adding electric brakes to my trailer.

Tongue weight will your critical issue. The rule of thumb is 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue. 60Lbs is way to much tongue weight for the bike, especially if 2 up with the bikes luggage full to. The number I have always heard was no more that 30 lbs on the tongue to avoid handling issues. It is going to be a close balance of tongue weight, between bike handling and trailer sway. A longer tongue will help both issues. Due to your higher total weight, I would shoot for the distance from trailer axle to ball of 2 times the track width of the trailer. the normal is 1.5 times.

Don't forget progress pics..................

Thanks Jeff;

Yes 60 pounds would be far to heavy on the bike hitch so the axle will slide under this trailer much like a semi trailer does. I should be able to come to a 30 pound tongue weight by trial and error but can reposition the generator if need be. Part of the weight will be offset by the microwave and convection oven mounted in the rear behind an opening tail panel. It will take experimentation to drill down for final results. I plan to lock the axle with spring plungers but may rigidly bolt it into position once all variables are accounted for. I'm an engineer by trade so inherently take little at face value or "close enough" as something can usually be bettered. This is not a production unit so time is on my side.

This genset is quiet really. My Honda 2kw inverter is 58db at 21 feet and this one is just a bit louder at 59db at the same distance. The inner panels are lined with closed cell foam but there is room for additional. This one being remote start is really nice in that it's going to be hidden and pulling a rope start would be difficult. I have a battery isolator for the trailer to run the campsite illuminator LED fixtures from a storage battery which will recharge from the generator. There is a 12VDC receptacle on the genset front panel and could use that, but the isolator will be a permanent install. Kind of a secondary precaution having rope start backup but I'm getting lazy with old age.

I'll have to do better with photos if the interest is there but I really don't see a lot of participation other than yours and I's.

Rob while not in the market myself for a trailer like you're building I do enjoy following your build. Same for the hitch you just built. As you know there's always differences in opinions and ways of getting a job done.

Anyhow well done so far, Larry

Had to go looking for the post counter as I'd never seen or more likely paid attention to it. I'm certainly not one that's into the inherent "drama" of any website and try to participate in more of a technical exchange which is of my interest. I really don't expect other's to approve this design/build on the fly, and readily open myself up for constructive criticism if I'm incorrect in any assumption. I feel we all learn that way. It's gonna be heavily built for certain but the parameters are set to be met. This trailer is a prototype only. Should I like and it be proven feasible, a lightweight monocoque construction will take it's place in tooled aluminum sheet. At this stage plywood is much easier to work with and a lot less expensive per square foot.

Appreciate the comments and feedback.

Rob