IGNORED

What does your forum Name mean or represent?

VanRiver

Hello Guys and Gals, I have noticed that so many of you have very creative Forum names, and I know there is probably a reason, hidden meaning, or story behind that nickname and I thought it would be neat to hear about them.

So to get the ball rolling, I will start. My forum name is "VanRiver" and here is my story.

I have been a "big dreamer" and entrepreneur all my life. I have started and run several companies over the years....and as most people know, starting and making a business successful is hard work and very risky. And it was something that my parents could never relate to when I was first starting out, as they were of the mind set that I should get a safe and steady job, work there for 30 years and retire.....which did not fit with my way of thinking. So when Saturday Night Live had a skit with Chris Farley as an out of work "Motivational speaker" that would always say that kids would fail at their dreams and would "have a steady diet of government cheese and live in a Van Down By the River" that resonated with me and always became my joke with my wife, family, and friends that if my latest venture failed we could always live in a "Van down by the river". That is still my "Back-up plan" today, it would just be a very nice 45' diesel pusher Van on a beautiful river lot! :cool10:

So that is how I became VanRiver on the forum. Here is the late Mr. Farley in the classic SNL skit:

Now enough about me, I would love to hear about all the rest of you and how you came up with your forum names! Looking forward to hearing from you all!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VanRiver,

When I first saw your nickname, I was wondering if you were referring to the famous Chris Farley SNL skit. Absolutely one of my favorites!

My my nickname is simple. I am 6'6", and my name is Lynn. My friends and family have been calling Big Lenny for years.

BL

My entire life, I have loved riding horses and motorcycles. So you could say I loved spending time in the saddle one way or the other. Also like the drifters in the old cowboy movies (still my favorite shows), I have hard time sitting still, always needing to be on the move or doing something. When email 1st started and we used nicknames instead of our real names, for so called security reasons, I chose the nickname "Saddlebum". After a while some of my friends started calling me Saddlebum and so it stuck. It just seemed Natural to choose it as a site name especially since now that I have made so many friends on this site, I spend more time than ever in the saddle, riding to visit or meet those friends and even less time at home.

SilvrT

To make a long story short, a lady I was dating years ago used to call me a Silver Tongue Devil hence the abbreviation. No further details on that one will be forthcoming :smile5: LOL

I'd originally thought to use STD but that has other implications :Bunny2: :Laugh:

OK several years ago there was a thread just like this one, but I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll have to type the whole story out again. Back in the mid 70's I worked for a gentleman by the name of Bob Moog, the guy who invented the Moog synthesizer! While working at Moog Music, Inc. I met this very good friend of mine Ron Mruczek. We hit it off from the get go, and I ended up being his roadie for his band. (I also hung out with another band that two brothers who also worked at Moog Music were part of, but that's a different story).

Anyway, being the 70's, a continuation of the 60's, usually while Ron was playing in the club I would drink several beers (and indulge in "other" activities common for that era) and have a good time listening to the music. Well, one such night I was "playing drums" rather loudly with my hands on the table, and my buddy Ron introduced me as "Bongo Bob" to the audience. The name stuck! Actually it was very funny, rumors started that I actually practiced the bongos for hours daily. One night someone brought in a set of bongos and I actually had to play those things on stage that night...

Anyway, waaaay back when I got my first computer and went to set up my email account I tried using bongobob@ only to find out it was already in use!! Not sure who has it, but I did find out there is a "Bongo" Bob Smith who produces a few Contemporary Christian groups and has been mentioned more than once on album liners. Anyway, seeing as I live in New York State (near Buffalo) I added the ny to bongobobny for my email, and screen names...

As Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you have the rest of the story, good DAY!"

Larry1963 first name and year born, I got it when we first had to setup emails.

over the years I have been called Doogie, since my last name is Hauser i.e. Doogie Howser

Lately I have done a lot of work with the Hellfighters, and everyone of them has a beard but me, at 53 I still cannot grow a proper beard, so they call me babyface

Side note, A buddy of mine uses Argve on one of the Diesel Forums, How he got his screen name is a great story,..

Way back when AOL was popular he was signing up, and every name he wanted was taken, After trying for half hour to come up with something he SLAMMED his hands down on the keyboard in frustration,... he looked up and saw that he typed "Argve", he hit Enter, it took and he has been using it everywhere ever since,

MASTROTUCCI = Mastro, Mast, Maestro, Pizza Man, Tuu-chi, Tooch, S---head, etc....etc....etc.....

All throughout my early school years I had all kinds of different versions of my name used by friends, classmates and the teachers.

One year, grade six there was 6 guys in the class named David. The teacher Mr. Steel decided that he would call the Dave's by there last names, David STREET, David MANN, David BIRD, David WITTINGTON, David ALLEN and ah, you ah, ya??! OK you can be DAVE.......but the rest of you guys go by your last name.

In the early 80's when I first started policing "Hill Street Blues" was running on TV and I walked into the guardroom for my 1st parade before my 1st shift. They used to do roll-call and inspection still back then and the old grumpy Scottish Staff/Sgt. came in and we all stood at attention. He looked us up and down and noticed the fresh shinny new rookie at the end of the line. He immediately started flipping through the roster he was carrying and then stopped and looked at the page and then at me, then back to the page, then at me, this went on for what seemed like a good minute. He finally looked up at me and said, "What kind of *%#¥ing name is that?! We got us a dam Pizza Man!" So on that shift for a few years, till I got transferred to another division, I was "Pizza Man."

After that it settled in for most of the guys to call me "Tooch." Then in the mid-90's the department bought a helicopter and started an Air Support Unit. Well before I joined the police department I had tryed to get my helicopter pilots licence privately and I was $12,000. in debt. I was still just short of having my licence and needed a job and policing was a way to pay the bills. So years later when they started asking for officers with any experience, I was one of only 3 that had some. I was lucky enough to get one of the spots. After we finished training up and went operational, the question on the ground for the guys would always be, "Who's up in the chopper tonight?" For some reason when it was me, the answer would always be, it's "The Tooch." After that I'd walk into a room and the guys and gals would say, hey it's "The Tooch." I used to have to go to a lot of lectures and courses to teach the officers on the ground what we needed them to do and explain the tactics we were using in the air. I would alway get introduced to the class as "The Tooch."

So a short story.....long.

It's my name! :banana:

My real name is ECK........My father said a bird pooped on a rock and the sun hatched me, and my mother yelled ..... Eeeeeecccccckkkk! :stickpoke:

:scared:,,, lucky they didnt name you Eweee or Peeuuuy or,,, :lightbulb:BIRDPUC ... :big-grin-emoticon:

Many years and 5 1st Gen Ventures ago, my 2nd born daughter and I were crossing the country on our 1st MK1 - a gorgeous Blonde Royale that the kids named "Beej".. After several days of chasing the front wheel, we had popped the tent up - while laying in the tent staring at the western star covered sky my little girl asked about the strange biker names she had heard while we were playing around at the Sturgis Rally:doh:.. I explained to her how important nick-names were to bikers,, did so eloquently so I didnt have to explain the true meaning behind some she inquired about :sign67:.. My little girl leaned up on her elbow and declared that her and I BOTH needed biker names cause we were bikers too:bighug:..

I agreed and told her we would ponder it during our trip and that biker names were things that had to be earned and were something "given" not something you do for yourself - thats what makes em special.. My daughters hair was VERY fine (small in diameter) and almost white blonde at that early age.. Her hair would rat up in the wind really bad and I finally figured out by putting my riding cap on her head backwards and adjusting it to the smallest setting it would stay on her head and had plenty of room inside to stuff her hair in.. She earned the name "Cappy" out of all that..

One of things I always had a problem with throughout my life of biking/tenting was the uncanny ability to find Cow manure to step in when setting up the tent.. My daughter noticed that during this 1st adventure and commented on it.. One of the things my wife and I always maintained when raising our children was their language,, we allowed no swearing and were even careful about "slang" words with the kids - I know,, old school way of life but thats how we chose to raise em.. I remember vividly my little girl looking at me with a confused look on her face as she wanted to say something about me stepping in the Manure for the umpteenth time and struggling with exactly what verbage to use :think:,,, all of a sudden she blurts out - Daddy, you always seem to step in Cow Pucky = that particular batch of Cow Puc must of been really sticky cause it has been with me ever since...

When I started looking into the Royal Star line up and decided that touring is my passion I purchased the Venture. Then with the idea of going on great adventures with the wife and my bike, the NJ based theme park named Great Adventure, we settled on Great adVENTURE. A perfect blend of our area, what we are set out doing, and the motorcycle we have.

When I was in the Air Force and while I worked in Saudi Arabia I had the privilege of being a mechanic on the 20 mm Vulcan cannon used on the F-15, that model Vulcan was the M61A1, so when I needed a screen name I created M61A1MECH for myself.

M61A1 SYSTEM.jpg

Here it goes, started in NYC, Long Island, USAF Florida, Trumbull Connecticut, back to Florida and finally Pumpkin S.C. When my wife and I was building our house we would put up a few pcs. of plywood and sit in lounge chairs, we would look out of a window to be some day and look at the Blue Ridge Mountains. Now we all have had a few other nick names in our life so here is a couple more. I was tall growing up and my friends took the name from a jumbo loaf of bread and called me Jimbo. Then as those who have been in the service know that everybody is called by your last name, well they could not pronounce my last name DuBois ( french ) so I was named Dubie. That name did fit me well being the late 60's and early 70's and that is enough said about that!!!. So out of nowhere I picked Blue Mountain Jim to use on the Ventures.org. Jimbo has stuck with me for over 50 years. I had another name overseas, but we will not go there either!! This was a great idea, thanks Jim