IGNORED

Trailering RSV and proper placement/tongue weight

jryan

I hauled my RSV 300 miles last week during a storm (then rode it 2000 miles). It's the 1st time I've trailered the 2006 RSV on this trailer, but I previously trailered my 1989 VR many times with no problems.

Apparently the RSV center of gravity is different than the VR. The RSV center of gravity is located exactly over the axle (at least the center stand holes are)...giving a tongue weight of only about 25# according to my scale. The trailer probably weights 400#, the bike is probably 850#...so 25# tongue weight seems way too low...which would explain why the trailer was weaving back & forth while driving unless I was either on the gas or on the brake.

So my question is...does anyone know where the RSV center of gravity should reside in relation to the trailer axle? or what the tongue weight when loaded should be?

I'm thinking of modifying trailer so the bike moves forward about a foot...but who knows if that's enough or too much? Any "good" advice?

Attached is photo of the loaded bike/trailer...

20160612_200344_resized.jpg

First off I think the trailer is too short for the RSV. A 10' will give you enough room to get the engine ahead of the trailer axle and increase the tongue weight. I run a 10' with an HD Harbor Freight chock bolted to the bed. Rides perfect. The only way you're going to get more weight forward is move the axle back about 6". Rule of thumb is the tongue weight should be about 10% of the GVW.

I'm thinking of modifying the trailer so bike moves forward 1 foot in relation to the axle. Not sure if I can have axle moved back, or cut front of trailer & add a foot on there.

So at 10%, I should probably see a tongue weight of 100# or so...which is 75#+ away from what I have now.

I don't see where you could move the axle. You're going to have to move the fenders as well. Cutting a slot the width of the tire in the front cross member and reinforcing the area under the bed might work?? Some of things that do come to mind. The tongue looks smaller than 2" square, and there isn't any bike protection from junk flying off the rear truck tires. Check both the tire load rate, and the axle to make sure there's enough rating to handle the bike after tare weight. Personally I think the trailer would be great for a smaller lighter bike, but I think you're pushing the envelope using this one for an RSV...

On a less technical note..... just add a cooler full of beer on the A-Frame in front of the winch...............

Heck yeah... Pitch the scoot. I cooler of bear. Some chairs. A Red Neck Patio!!!!!!! :clap2::beer::beer::beer:

On a serious note. A full cooler up in front might give enough ballast to keep things from wagging around.... Worth a try??

Totally agree with Condor. You are way too light on tongue. I always go 15% or more. Slightly higher tongue weight gives better wind handling when dealing with 18 wheelers @ 65mph.

Get the axle rating, bearing rating and tire loaded rating. This should give you an idea on the trailer capacities. If all is good, then I would look into moving the front trailer bracing forward in a "V" configuration so you can easily move the wheel chock or build one in to the bracing. One foot forward should put the driver saddle directly over the axle which would be perfect. Throw your spare tire on its tongue mount and you should be good to go.

Adding the cooler in front is an added bonus!!

• 7 months later...

Your tongue weight should be 10% to 15% percent of your gross trailer weight. I haul my 07 Goldwing on an Aluma MC10 trailer. My trailer weighs 380 lbs. and the wing is about 930 lbs. My tongue weight is about 190 lbs. The trailer pulls nice and straight even at interstate speeds.

I hauled my RSV 300 miles last week during a storm (then rode it 2000 miles). It's the 1st time I've trailered the 2006 RSV on this trailer, but I previously trailered my 1989 VR many times with no problems.

Apparently the RSV center of gravity is different than the VR. The RSV center of gravity is located exactly over the axle (at least the center stand holes are)...giving a tongue weight of only about 25# according to my scale. The trailer probably weights 400#, the bike is probably 850#...so 25# tongue weight seems way too low...which would explain why the trailer was weaving back & forth while driving unless I was either on the gas or on the brake.

So my question is...does anyone know where the RSV center of gravity should reside in relation to the trailer axle? or what the tongue weight when loaded should be?

I'm thinking of modifying trailer so the bike moves forward about a foot...but who knows if that's enough or too much? Any "good" advice?

Attached is photo of the loaded bike/trailer...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=105814

Hete is a pic of mine on a U Haul20170126_094926.jpg

If this helps any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at your pic and that is a weird looking trailer. It has be by far the longest tongue I've ever seen and thanks to the hitch bar you've got in the truck's receiver, it looks like it's sitting at a downward angle. That alone might be part of what's causing it to wiggle around at speed. It's one reason why I have an adjustable height hitch on my F350. My truck sits so high that while some of my trailers sit level and others don't, I can change the hitch to where the trailer sits level. I haul my bikes on a 6x10 flatbed and I don't have the fish-tailing problem you mentioned.

When your bike/trailer comes out of hibernation, let us know what you get figured out.

Like others have said, get the rear tire over the trailer axle. I also haul on a 10 ft with no problems, but my rear tire sits over the axle. Also the tongue looks like its below level, that could cause some problems also. Good luck and let us know how things go when it thaws out.

Gil

Like others have said, get the rear tire over the trailer axle. I also haul on a 10 ft with no problems, but my rear tire sits over the axle. Also the tongue looks like its below level, that could cause some problems also. Good luck and let us know how things go when it thaws out.

Gil

With the rear tire over the axle you're placing way too much weight on the tongue. Too much is just as bad as not enough. Remember we're dealing with an 850# bike here. I trailer in a 10'er also, and the engine sits slightly ahead of the axle. The trailer doesn't even wiggle when underway. In the pic the chock sits about 8" off the forward bulkhead behind the spare. It's a great set-up.

trailerchock.1.jpg

trailerchock.2.jpg

2014-06-18 06.05.40.jpg

Edited by Condor

You also have a heavier trailer with metal sides. That will make a difference also. Your tongue weight is heavier even before the bike is loaded.

With nothing on the trailer I can pick up the tongue and move it around, and I'm no spring chicken any longer..:backinmyday: So it's pretty well balanced and not that heavy..... Just enough to keep it tracking when empty..