IGNORED

varmint rifle question

bj66

Question.....

I won a Savage BMag .17 WSM on a benefit raffle the other day. After doing some reading on the net, I'm not so sure I shouldn't get a different gun. I go in to the dealer and fill out paperwork, so I can switch to a different gun and pay the difference if I want. The savage seems to have some problems and I already have a .17HMR as well.

Do any of you have a .204 Ruger, and if so, how do you like it. I already have a .223 but it isn't set up to be a good varmint gun. I don't know many guys that shoot a .204 so any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, the 17 in just about any configuration isn't doing too good. Lots of neg feedback. Since you already own a 223, I'd opt for a V configuration in the same caliber... A Remington 700VS and a decent scope would be my choice. No sense complicating things.

If you are going to spend some extra cash on a different gun. Living in the area that you do I would go for a Rem.22-250 with a good scope then be good for at least 800 yards.

I thought about the 22-250 as well. My dad had one growing up, and I shot it a lot. My son already has one from his other grandpa who passed away. and we already have at least 3 .243s which is basically a step up from the 22-250. I already have a 25-.06 as well. We use the .243s and 25.06 on deer and they work well. I figured the .204 would be a nice fit between the .243 and the .17 hmr, and if I need a 22-.250 I can always borrow my sons.

It is not an assault platform. It might be an AR platform but lets get assault out of our terminology.

Mike

But I like assault rifles:95:!! Matter of fact, if it weren't so dog gone expensive to get and maintain one of those Class,, what ever they are, licenses to own and operate fully automatic assault rifles and so blasted expensive to buy the hardware - I would have a garage full of em :big-grin-emoticon:,, I'd have Uzi's, AK's, FN's, Thompson's, Colt's, CZ's, Heckler's and even a nice collection of Sig's!! I like em and if I were rich - I would have em all and maybe even change my name to Assault Rifle Puc:big-grin-emoticon:

Whoever mentioned the .22-.250 beat me to the bunch as far as varmint artillery.. I had 700 Remington Bow Barrel in a 22 twofiddy years ago that was deadly accurate.. Seems how ya got that covered though BJ - maybe think about a .222.. Had a Savage in that caliber too that I used for Turkey Shoots and shooting dynamite at our gun range years ago and it did a fine job for a less expensive shooting iron. It was not heavy barreled though and did require some cooling off between rounds to maintain accuracy but still a really good shooter for what it was..

What ever you choose - CONGRATS on winning the raffle Bernie - THAT is AWESOME!!:thumbsup:

G'day mate, what are you shooting? Varmints here are called "small game" rabbits, hares etc... They are very light skinned and 98% of us (kiwis) use a .22 calibre, however we have some enthusiasts that like longer range hunting of these "varmints, .17hmr is a great calibre, super accurate as I am sure you know, I have a mate that has a savage, he loves it and has had no problems whatsoever. I use a ruger 10/22 and would not go past it.

I am (as per) with Puc on a 22-250, it is probably the most versatile calibre you can buy, a huge range of applications due to the projectile-velocity from this brilliant calibre.

.204 is not so popular in my land a it doesn't really "fit" with any of our game, to large for small game and not large enough for big game I am talking projectile. "knock down" power here, oh and "big game in NZ is our red deer, fallow deer, we do have the much larger Wapiti, elk not far from my home however they can only be hunted during the rut (March/April) and large calibres can only be used, I hunt with a 7mm08 Sako Finnlight topped with a Swarvoski scope and a suppressor, I have literally just walked in from hunting today, a nice wee surprise to see this post!!! I use Federal Premium 139g ammo, I can get 3/4" Moa at 400 yards, which is way more than I need, i predominantly bush hunt.

Sorry long winded on a favourite subject!!

Firstly decide WHAT type of shooting you are after, then try some calibres out, and remember this question is like asking what type of oil to use in your Venture!!!!!!

Kiwi

But I like assault rifles!! Matter of fact, if it weren't so dog gone expensive to get and maintain one of those Class,, what ever they are, licenses to own and operate fully automatic assault rifles and so blasted expensive to buy the hardware - I would have a garage full of em ,, I'd have Uzi's, AK's, FN's, Thompson's, Colt's, CZ's, Heckler's and even a nice collection of Sig's!! I like em and if I were rich - I would have em all and maybe even change my name to Assault Rifle Puc:big-grin-emoticon:

Whoever mentioned the .22-.250 beat me to the bunch as far as varmint artillery.. I had 700 Remington Bow Barrel in a 22 twofiddy years ago that was deadly accurate.. Seems how ya got that covered though BJ - maybe think about a .222.. Had a Savage in that caliber too that I used for Turkey Shoots and shooting dynamite at our gun range years ago and it did a fine job for a less expensive shooting iron. It was not heavy barreled though and did require some cooling off between rounds to maintain accuracy but still a really good shooter for what it was..

What ever you choose - CONGRATS on winning the raffle Bernie - THAT is AWESOME!!

I'd own one too Puc.... if'n they weren't so cotton pickin' ugly.... :whistling: :icon_lurker:

I'm disappointed... I thought this thread was about Bernie Sanders supporters.... :doh:

Hey ..lighten up...just kidding..it's Monday and I'm bored.... :rasberry:

The preceding comment is not advocating for any type of violent act or solicitation for any type of act and I am not an attorney or an attorney spokesperson...

Edited by KIC

204 is an very good varmint round. In 1986 my Dad and I started prairie dog hunting in North and South Dakota and in the last 30 years I have loaded and shot just over 23,000 rounds in these centerfire calibers 204, 222, 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 243, 6mm, 25-06, and 308. The 204 is accurate, inexpensive to shoot if you make your own bullets, and minimum recoil so you can see what you hit in the scope. So get a good quality rifle with a high quality scope and shoot straight.

G'day mate, what are you shooting? Varmints here are called "small game" rabbits, hares etc... They are very light skinned and 98% of us (kiwis) use a .22 calibre, however we have some enthusiasts that like longer range hunting of these "varmints, .17hmr is a great calibre, super accurate as I am sure you know, I have a mate that has a savage, he loves it and has had no problems whatsoever. I use a ruger 10/22 and would not go past it.

I am (as per) with Puc on a 22-250, it is probably the most versatile calibre you can buy, a huge range of applications due to the projectile-velocity from this brilliant calibre.

.204 is not so popular in my land a it doesn't really "fit" with any of our game, to large for small game and not large enough for big game I am talking projectile. "knock down" power here, oh and "big game in NZ is our red deer, fallow deer, we do have the much larger Wapiti, elk not far from my home however they can only be hunted during the rut (March/April) and large calibres can only be used, I hunt with a 7mm08 Sako Finnlight topped with a Swarvoski scope and a suppressor, I have literally just walked in from hunting today, a nice wee surprise to see this post!!! I use Federal Premium 139g ammo, I can get 3/4" Moa at 400 yards, which is way more than I need, i predominantly bush hunt.

Sorry long winded on a favourite subject!!

Firstly decide WHAT type of shooting you are after, then try some calibres out, and remember this question is like asking what type of oil to use in your Venture!!!!!!

Kiwi[/quote

It would be used on small game, mostly woodchucks, skunks, and the like. Maybe an occasional coyote.

I think the biggest draw for me would be that I don't have a .204 yet! Gun safe is pretty full, but I can make room.......

.204 Ruger.jpg

This is what I ended up with. Ruger American in .204, Weaver 3x9x40 scope, bipod, and sling. All the extras I had laying around. I won the bipod as a door prize at a fire dept. raffle last winter. So if tomorrow works out, I'll try and get it sighted in. The Weaver might have to get changed out later, but for now it will work.....