IGNORED

Replacing Clutch Slave

Canadian Gunner

I'm replacing the clutch slave on my 2001 RSV.

Looking to see if anyone has any step by step instructions, pics, or just general points to make it less painful.

My parts should be here by Friday , so I'm looking to remove the old one before that.

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated

Pretty straight forward...but very tight confines to work. The link provided (short of rebuilding, I replaced with new as well) are exactly what I followed when doing my '99.

Go to this web address for your answer, http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002006&id=397 Good luck

While you are in there you may as well replace the shift shaft seal too. It's not a bad job to do, when you get the slave at the right angle it will slip out and in easily. Check the little rubber boots on the ends of the shift rod, they were both split on my "01 RSV. Perfect time to replace them.

Kind of tricky to get out. Just keep turning.

Yup!! Kinda like a Chinese puzzle!! Ya twist it and turn it and shake it, swear at it, etc, and just when you're ready to give up, it falls out...

The reason the slave is so hard to remove is the shift linkage rod blocks the bottom mounting ear to just pull straight out. I've found that if you rotate the slave upside down the top mounting ear will pass over the rod and the thing slips right out. Same thing when putting the new one in. Put it in upside down and then rotate it and the bottom ear will move behind the rod... I'd have a lot more hair if I'd figured that out sooner..... :confused24:

Thanks all for the tips and links to the other info. I started last night by bleeding the clutch line and cleaning the gunk out of the clutch master.

The middle gear cover is off and cleaned up.

Tackling the removal of slave tonight and finish cleaning all parts tomorrow night.

Hopefully my parts get here tomorrow so I can put "humpty dumpty" back together again on Saturday.

Edited by Canadian Gunner