IGNORED

TCI Question Ignetch and other parts.

It appears that Dingy is not selling the Ignitech TCI Kits. I'm sure for a good reason and respect and appreciate your efforts on this Dingy. I am traveling and want to check out my TCI when I get back and I will have the 1N400* resistors in hand before I open it up.

My question is, how do we go about getting one of these Ignitech TCI kits on our on. I may consider going ahead and ordering it so I don't have to wait if it takes too long. With travel/schedule, may be worth just plugging and playing.

Also, is there something about the glass transistors that go bad and replacing them while I'm at it.

I am hoping to compile this info into a thread for the tech library to save in one spot. ( I've been searching but not so much finding)

Thanks again any help is appreciated.

The 1N400* parts are diodes, not transisitors or resistors. The asterisk refers to a group diodes that are identical except for their peak inverse (backwards) voltage rating. Any of them would be fine to replace the glass diodes in your TCI. You may want to use 1N4002 for example if you can find them easily. If you found a 1N4005, that'd be fine also, but it'd probably cost a few pennies more. I think that most of the diodes that corrode were in the first years (83, 84 etc) and by the time they got the ones in the 1989's there was no more problem with these. Now that doesn't mean that the later TCI's didn't go bad, just that it isn't caused by corroded diodes. When the TCI in my 83 went out, the diodes were fine.

As for the Ignitech, you can buy them direct from Ignitech, but you'll have to make up your adapter cables yourself. I've got the latest version of Dingy's software so if you buy one, let me know and I'll send it to you. The nice thing about Dingy's kits were that they contained everything you need to install the units. You will also need a new MAP sensor, but Dingy does talk about which one to use in his posts about the Ignitech. It is comforting to know that you have a 'spare' when you're far away from home.

Are you positive he's out of the Ignitech game?

The reason I ask is I recently bought a used Ignitech from another member (it was set up for an '89, I think)...it needed to be reprogrammed for my '84 (multi-pickup and different connector...plus it also needed a MAP sensor as well). I emailed Gary and he responded right away....he was very helpful...did everything to prepare it for my bike and only charged me $50 (MAP sensor was like $20-$30, and it included shipping...he also tested the unit as well). This was less than a month ago.

So, I would contact him directly....very cool guy

Are you positive he's out of the Ignitech game?

The reason I ask is I recently bought a used Ignitech from another member (it was set up for an '89, I think)...it needed to be reprogrammed for my '84 (multi-pickup and different connector...plus it also needed a MAP sensor as well). I emailed Gary and he responded right away....he was very helpful...did everything to prepare it for my bike and only charged me $50 (MAP sensor was like $20-$30, and it included shipping...he also tested the unit as well). This was less than a month ago.

So, I would contact him directly....very cool guy

He's not presently selling the kits. And yes he is a very cool guy.

There ya go Newbee MC9, as indicated in that thread, you want to replace those blue and white doobies! The silver stripe on the replacement diodes go on the side that the blue is on. I count 6 in the picture (one of the three together is missing it's entire body) but for some reason I thought there was 8.

The stuff on the boards that looks like upchuck is actually a "conformal" coating to aid in waterproofing, and is quite normal and belongs there...