IGNORED

Bike is back firing like crazy

My 96 Royal Star is back firing like crazy. It also feels like it's pulling and wants to go. I'm ridding this weekend in rolling thunder this weekend and don't want to be embarrassed during the ride.

By "feels like its pulling" do you mean it feels like it wants to start if you press the start button or it feels like it wants to run right when your riding it and run the rpms up? Has it been running good recently up to this point - or is it fresh out of storage? Did you recently wash it or get caught in the rain with it? Noticed any small puddles of fuel under it or have you been smelling gas (sticky float)..

If it will start = start it up, let it idle best it will for 30 seconds, wet your finger tip with spit and touch each header (like checking a hot iron). See if 1 cylinder is cold and others are hot. If you find a cold one pull and replace that plug and try again. If it works replace all plugs. Could also be high ohms on the plug caps - thinking 8 ohms is good - maybe wrong going by memory on an 83 here.. Also possible you lost a diaphram or have a sticking slide..

Quick check things with info supplied so far would be spit check pipes, drain the carbs in a glass jar and check for water, .

• 2 weeks later...
My 96 Royal Star is back firing like crazy. It also feels like it's pulling and wants to go. I'm ridding this weekend in rolling thunder this weekend and don't want to be embarrassed during the ride.

Had a back fire issue, tried everything, looked for hole in exhaust, changed pilot jets to rich the condition, cleaned carbs.

Anyway turned out to be the air filters in the AIS system, 1 in front 1 in rear.

No more backfire.

Had a back fire issue, tried everything, looked for hole in exhaust, changed pilot jets to rich the condition, cleaned carbs.

Anyway turned out to be the air filters in the AIS system, 1 in front 1 in rear.

No more backfire.

Thanks. I ended up changing the plugs and fixing a broke wire. The plugs were really grimy and one wire was broken. Runs smooth as hell now.