IGNORED

Engine Clacking after bad start...

Started the bike this morning, turned over twice then stopped with a loud CLACK. Press the starter again and it fired right up but now has a loud CLACK on every revolution while running. It runs fine but something definitely bad happened. Hydro lock? What moving part could break yet still allow the engine to run fine? Bummed......

Is noise coming from top end or bottom end of the motor?

If coming top end it could be a valve out of adjustment (slapping). If noise is coming from the bottom end, that could be serious.

I know you said it runs fine, but check to see if you can see any smoke coming out the exhaust when you rev it up a little. DONT rev it up real high now.

If you do see any type of smoke what color is it? (white or grey?) ... No smoke can be seen I hope!

I wouldn't run it for even a second. If you bent or broke a rod the next revolution could damage the crankcase. That would take you from a major repair to an excruciating repair.

I'd drain the oil and inspect for debris, pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand until I had a good idea what was going on.

I wouldn't run it for even a second. If you bent or broke a rod the next revolution could damage the crankcase. That would take you from a major repair to an excruciating repair.

I'd drain the oil and inspect for debris, pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand until I had a good idea what was going on.

I'd go with this option first. Expect the worst and narrow it down. Thinking you are lucky with something minor, starting it (clunks are usually not a good thing) could do a lot of damage.