IGNORED

Clutch problem

I have a 96 Royal Star that has a finicky clutch. I have bleed it several times and it gets better at first and then goes back to what it was once it gets hot. It won't go into neutral and once to pull in first gear and has stalled a couple of times. I have installed speed bleeders, used a vacuum pump and even a power bleeder. Any thoughts?

So I tested it today. Once I started it it shifted fine, once it got warmed up it would not hit neutral . Is there an adjustment like a cable clutch. I know it a wet clutch. Will changing the oil help?

WOW....you are opening up a can of worms. You'll get every opinion imaginable. A lot of people here use Rotella, some use Amsoil, some use just about everything else. The main thing is that you don't use a regular automotive oil with friction modifiers. They can cause your clutch to slip. I personally use nothing but Mobil 1 Racing 4T motorcycle specific but it's about $9.00 per quart and some think that is a waste of money. I love Mobil 1 though and use one version or another in everything I own.

So I changed the oil and it shifted fine at first but after a quick trip around the block it wouldn't shift into neutral. I put 20W-50 in it. It doesn't slip it just won't shift into neutral once you have put it in gear when it gets hot. Oil was really dirty.

I honestly don't know. I have read of others using the 20W/50 but I never have. The Mobil 1 4T Racing tat I use is 10W/40 if I remember correctly. Some people like the heavier weight but it's not what is recommended for these bikes. That being said, I've not heard anybody complain about the heavier oil causing the problem that you are having.

Replaced the master cylinder first thing, so yeah it feels ok. It does not feel as tight as my venture royale. I used dot 4 brake fluid. I changed the oil and it felt good for a day and then went back to normal. I have a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder and the plates for the clutch. I think I'm out of options.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to replace the friction plates and ended up breaking the wire. I thought I was screwed unit I cam across the article on here that gave a step by step instructions on doing the job and said you can replace the 1/2 friction plate with a full size one and get rid of the wire. Finished the job and it shifts smooth as hell. Love this site. Finished the day before rolling thunder and was able to make the ride.

• 1 month later...