IGNORED

Picked up a 1996 Star Royal for a steel

I picke up this bike for trade. I still have my 89 Venture Royal that I'm working on but couldn't pass this up. It has a couple issues maybe you can help with. It needs a new battery which is fine, but when I jump it to get it to start it wants to start the bike without me hitting the start button and even with the kill switch pressed. So I'm thinking the right handlebar controls might need to be replaced, but I can't find the replacement part.

image.jpeg

Sounds like the start button is maybe shorted or stuck in the closed position.

Here is a trick I heard over on the Goldwing forum, have not had a need to try it yet, hope I remember it when I need it.

When ever taking apart an assembly like the switches or control pod, that have springs and little parts that may get away, disassemble it in side a zip lock bag. If bits go flying, they will not get out of the bag. I am sure it sounds easier that it is, but if you have ever been on your hands and knees crawling around looking for one of those Jesus clips, you can appreciate what I am suggesting.

Oh the reason they called Jesus clips, normally that is the first thing out of your mouth when one goes flying across the room, and he is likely to be the one that knows where the darn thing went.

Good luck with the new bike keep us posted.

Good advice so far IMHO.. Also maybe a stuck starter solenoid or a relay switch leading to the solenoid.. I would find the starter solenoid, unplug the small input 12v wire that energizes the solenoid and see if that stops it. If it doesnt the solenoid is closed causing the starter to get voltage as soon as you connect the battery.. Had an old shovel head do that once,, bike rolled over, started up and the starter stayed engaged.. What a mess.. Make sure you have the kill switch off when playing with it so that doesnt happen.. Can always just test the circuits and devices with an ohm meter to see where the fault is but thats not as fun :hurts:

Great information guys. I'm going to clean the controller on Thursday. One side note I put the new battery in today and it fired right up. I shut it off and it kept trying to restart even with the kill switch engaged and the key in the off position.

Great information guys. I'm going to clean the controller on Thursday. One side note I put the new battery in today and it fired right up. I shut it off and it kept trying to restart even with the kill switch engaged and the key in the off position.

Sure sounds like a stuck solenoid. The only thing having the kill switch engaged and/or key switch off will do when this happens is keep the engine from actually starting with the starter still engaged.. Was the starter still rolling when it fired up and you had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop or were you touching the start button to make the starter engage? I have no idea where the solenoid is located on an RSTD but if you follow the cable coming off your starter it should terminate at the solenoid. Then there should be another cable coming off the solenoid that leads directly to the battery. The solenoid has a set of contacts inside it that are pulled together when voltage is supplied to its coils - that energizes the coil which closes the contacts when the start button is pushed.. If you disconnect the small wire leading to the solenoid and leave the two cables (one to the starter and one to the battery) connected with out the small wire(s) connected and you touch the lead onto the battery and it still does it you will know it is the solenoid is stuck..

• 2 weeks later...