IGNORED

Attention,, got a new friend in California with trike question - can we help?

cowpuc

EDITED BY ECK - Please coordinate this thread with this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?117571-Honda-Wing-stuck-in-1st-Gear-a-new-friend-needs-some-input

Rationale: There were two threads started on same subject, one in watering hole and one in GW tech.

Eck

Once again, because of our site I just had the honor and pleasure of meeting yet another GREAT young man named Sam who rides a 2007 Honda Goldwing with a California Side Car Trike conversion. Another one of our members contacted me and asked if I would be willing to contact Sam and see if I could help with a situation he is having with his Trike. Sam is located in California and I am in Michigan so all of the following info and advice has been done over the telephone.

After pulling his Triked 2007 Wing into the garage, Sam inadvertently reached up and hit the reverse button on his Trike while the bike was still in 1st gear. As a result, the bike now refuses to come out of 1st Gear and the reverse light continues to flash. Sam has contacted the conversion people and has been unable to this point to figure out a way to solve the jam up..

I suggested removing the fuse for the reversing mechanism, Sam said he had tried that - it did not help and the reverse light on the bike continued to flash. I also suggested leaving the bikes key in the "off" position and rocking the bike while keeping upward pressure on the shift lever to see if he could get it to click back into neutral. I believe Sam said he had also tried this to no avail..

Thinking that the electric reverse probably works like the starter motor on a car, the thought occurred to me that perhaps it has a stuck bendix. Sam mentioned that the Trike will also not currently roll even with the clutch in so, thinking that the reverse motor is probably engaging the rear axle mechanism some how - the stuck bendix idea seems reasonable to me - how about you guys - sound reasonable? My last word to Sam was to see if he would be able to look under the machine, find the reverse "starter" motor and give it a couple raps with a rubber mallet and see if he could jar the bendix loose.

That pretty much ended our conversation other than me giving Sam our web address here and directions to the Water Hole so he could follow along with any responses/suggestions that any of you lop eared mechanical genius varmints may have.

Sam and I would GREATLY appreciate ANY thoughts/advice/suggestions that any of you fine folks can muster..

A HUGE Thank-You to all from both of us!

Puc

Edited by Eck

A little more update, I just googled the situation and found out that the reverse button on the Wings can become sticky.. Then it dawned on me that Sam's bike may have came from the factory with reverse - I had assumed that the reverse was part of the Trike Kit... I am soooo stuck in old school scoots that I had forgotten they actually make motorcycles with reverse nowadays :Avatars_Gee_George:

Just called Sam again (sorry for buggin you folks again Sam) and verified it, the reverse is factory Honda and is NOT an aftermarket that would come as part of the trike package...

@CowPuc,

Have your friend turn the key on and then holding a screwdriver "by the shank" have him continually "rap/ tap", "lightly now" on the reverse switch until the reverse light goes off. He must do this "slowly" to give the switch time to release, and the neutral green light to come on. So in other words, rap/tap the switch and wait a couple seconds, then rap / tap it again and wait keeping an eye on the green neutral switch light to come on. Once it comes on, he can now get it out of first gear.

NOTE: He will never be able to get the bike out of first gear until reverse switch light quits blinking and the green neutral light comes on.

It definitely sounds like the reverse switch is stuck.

I have had to remove my switch and take it completely apart to get it to work again. It is a very well known problem on Goldwing's. (reverse and the 4 way switches always stick).

Once the reverse light stops blinking, then he must first pull up on the shifter to get it into neutral (one click upward).

When "and only when", the reverse light quits blinking and the neutral light comes on (Green light) can he get it out of gear.

The bike MUST BE in neutral (green light on), before he can put it into reverse.

There is a trick one can do on a Goldwing where they can put the bike in neutral, push in on the neutral switch, and then shut the key off.

This is a safe way to lock up a Goldwing so no one can push it out of a parking lot to steel it.

I am 100% certain his reverse switch is stuck....

Wish I was there to help him bud..

Eck

You did not mention if the trike will start or not. If it won't start, the starter is locked up and putting pressure on the trans.

Goldwings can not start with the reverse switch light blinking. Just cant happen..

Here is a link to the thread I started over in the Gold Wing Tech about this.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?117571-Honda-Wing-stuck-in-1st-Gear-a-new-friend-needs-some-input

And here is an "update" from that link from Nancy @Luvdaleather who contacted me earlier about Sam.

Thanks Puc, you're the best!...I know my friend Sam will be grateful to solve this unfortunate mystery. By the way folks Sam is 85 years old, his wife Marilyn is 82 They still ride around AND trailer their trike to different places for a ride.....who says "we is old"? Roll on................

As you can clearly see - Sam is a great guy and I KNOW he appreciates ALL of the advice guys!!

Eck,, I am gonna stick your info into an email to Nanci to make sure Sam gets it.. It may not be necessary because I think he is probably already reading your instructions but I want to be sure he gets it.. THANKS Eckster!!

Here is a link to the thread I started over in the Gold Wing Tech about this.

And here is an "update" from that link from Nancy @Luvdaleather who contacted me earlier about Sam.

Thanks Puc, you're the best!...I know my friend Sam will be grateful to solve this unfortunate mystery. By the way folks Sam is 85 years old, his wife Marilyn is 82 They still ride around AND trailer their trike to different places for a ride.....who says "we is old"? Roll on................

As you can clearly see - Sam is a great guy and I KNOW he appreciates ALL of the advice guys!!

Eck,, I am gonna stick your info into an email to Nanci to make sure Sam gets it.. It may not be necessary because I think he is probably already reading your instructions but I want to be sure he gets it.. THANKS Eckster!!

@CowPuc,

Have your friend turn the key on and then holding a screwdriver "by the shank" have him continually "rap/ tap", "lightly now" on the reverse switch until the reverse light goes off. He must do this "slowly" to give the switch time to release, and the neutral green light to come on. So in other words, rap/tap the switch and wait a couple seconds, then rap / tap it again and wait keeping an eye on the green neutral switch light to come on. Once it comes on, he can now get it out of first gear.

NOTE: He will never be able to get the bike out of first gear until reverse switch light quits blinking and the green neutral light comes on.

It definitely sounds like the reverse switch is stuck.

I have had to remove my switch and take it completely apart to get it to work again. It is a very well known problem on Goldwing's. (reverse and the 4 way switches always stick).

Once the reverse light stops blinking, then he must first pull up on the shifter to get it into neutral (one click upward).

When "and only when", the reverse light quits blinking and the neutral light comes on (Green light) can he get it out of gear.

The bike MUST BE in neutral (green light on), before he can put it into reverse.

There is a trick one can do on a Goldwing where they can put the bike in neutral, push in on the neutral switch, and then shut the key off.

This is a safe way to lock up a Goldwing so no one can push it out of a parking lot to steel it.

I am 100% certain his reverse switch is stuck....

Wish I was there to help him bud..

Eck

@Eck

Just called and relayed your message to Sam, Eckster,, he is on his way out into their garage to give it a shot!! I read the whole message to him and when I got to the end where you said "wish I was there to help" Sam said "bless his heart"!!!

I REALLY hope this works - that Sam sounds like our kind of people!!

Thanks Eckster and Thanks All!!

@Luvdaleather,, hope your catching all this,,, these guys are AWESOME!!:thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc

How did I get mixed up with a bunch of such awesome people? :thumbsup2:You guys are worth your weight in gold! :mo money: I'm keeping my eye on the postings and emailing them to Marilyn. She can print them out so Sam can re-read them. I know you guys will get him "unstuck"! :dancefool:

Anyone know if Sam got his reverse switch unstuck & bike out of 1st gear yet? (I'm on pins and needles hopeing it is/was a stuck reverse switch)...

Good question @Eck!! Thinking its still pretty early out there in California yet,, I would call Sam and ask about it but I dont want to disturb anyone's beauty :draming: over a motorcycle cause I know how I am about having my sleep interrupted over such trivial stuff..... :think:,, what am saying,,,, when it comes to bikes - I could care less about sleeping :rotf:

On another note,, I noticed that "Sam from Weed" joined up last night (take a peek in the "welcome to VR" forum).. Thinking our friend @Luvdaleather (Nanci) who knows Sam and his wife and introduced him to us lives not far from Weed so I am now really curious whether or not Sam may have signed up on the site.. I did pass along our VR address so maybe :fingers-crossed-emo its the same Sam.. Think I will meander over to the new member section and leave a note over there..

Eck,, if its not him and I end up calling Sam later to find out what happened, would you mind if I ask him about putting you directly in contact with him? Nanci gave me Sam's phone number and I can verify that he is a GREAT person.. Not to pass the buck or nothing like that, I think you know I love helping folks Eck, I just dont know squat about the Wings - have never even ridden one, much less actually tinkered with one.. Would you mind chatting directly with him Eck?

Either way my friend, I really appreciate your efforts in helping him and I KNOW he does too!! 85 years young and he and his wife are still out chasing the front wheel - DEFINITELY my kinda folk!!

Don't know much about trikes or the how the wings operate but if Sam was unable to get it done below is a place outside of Sacramento that does trike conversions and service, (including California Side Cars) and maybe they can provide some additional tech advice for him.

Great bunch of guys.

Freedom Rides. 643 Lincoln Blvd., Lincoln, CA 95664 | Tel: 916-434-2980 | E-Mail: mario@freedomrides.biz

Nice Job Y'All

............would you mind if I ask him about putting you directly in contact with him? .......... Would you mind chatting directly with him Eck?

Heck no I would not mind at all Cowpuc. Give/ send him my phone number and home email... (I just send both to you via P-email here)

And I totally understand and do appreciate not getting a call about a motorcycle in the wee hours of the morning...:stickpoke:...

Would be happy to help.. him if I can..

I have pictures and tech info that I can send him on how to remove that reverse switch if he wants to tackle that little task. Nothing to it really. ( I copied the tech info and pics from a GW site..:happy34:)

Eck

Don't know much about trikes or the how the wings operate but if Sam was unable to get it done below is a place outside of Sacramento that does trike conversions and service, (including California Side Cars) and maybe they can provide some additional tech advice for him.

Great bunch of guys.

Freedom Rides. 643 Lincoln Blvd., Lincoln, CA 95664 | Tel: 916-434-2980 | E-Mail: mario@freedomrides.biz

Nice Job Y'All

THANK'S Z!! That may come in handy.. I received an email from Nanci late last night that she has been "copy/pasting" this thread over into an email and sending it to Sam's wife - that Nanci (@Luvdaleather) is a real deal biker gal who is doing her derndest to help her friend out,, AWESOME VR biker lady in her own right!! By the way,, in case anyone did not know this - Nanci is the same person who has provided lots of our members here with some AMAZING leather work - she is the owner of "Ace High Leathers" that you see advertised on the site (how's that for an unsolicited :thumbsup: Nanci :big-grin-emoticon:).. I only bring that up cause I am constantly amazed at the high caliber of members we have on this site.. I dont know how Freebird did it but he built something here that just amazes me.. Been said before and I know I am preaching to the choir BUT our MC Club is like no other - real family if you will!!

Just got off the phone with Sam in California. The idea of tapping on the reverse button did not work. @Eck, I passed on your information to Sam and he will be contacting you my friend. Hopefully he does so and somehow you are able to help our buddy our there. PLEASE keep us updated here if you find out anything Eckster - YOU are the bestest of the bestest!!:thumbsup:

By the way, I know Sam's scoot isnt a Venture but as far as I am concerned - this thread is still open for any input and chit/chat.. We all know how the story goes = a couple million heads is better then 1 :missingtooth:,,,,,, and besides,, what could possible be more fun than yakkin bikes on the best bike yakkin website on the internet? :big-grin-emoticon: (watch some hot dog eatin lop eared varmint say something like - "dah,,, eatin hot dogs while we're yakkin bikes in real life would be better") :stirthepot:

Yep, its the same Sam.....Sam from Weed, CA and that's no joke.:hurts: I asked him if he joined the site and he "I sure did!" :thumbsup2:Actually Sam is from Kentucky! Born and raised there!Oh and did I forget to mention that in 2014 he was inducted in the Country Western Swing Hall of Fame? :clap2: He can sure play some licks on that pedal steel! :dancefool: I just got off the phone with him and he said, "you put me in touch with the nicest people ever!". Ya think?

Edited by Luvdaleather

Yep, its the same Sam.....Sam from Weed, CA and that's no joke.:hurts: I asked him if he joined the site and he "I sure did!" :thumbsup2:Actually Sam is from Tennessee! Born and raised there!Oh and did I forget to mention that in 2014 he was inducted in the Country Western Swing Hall of Fame? :clap2: He can sure play some licks on that pedal steel! :dancefool: I just got off the phone with him and he said, "you put me in touch with the nicest people ever!". Ya think?

Awe,,,,, THAT is soooooo cool Nanci!! Would LOVE to see Sam post a quick message up here and would LOVE to someday shake that musically talented pedal steel playing hand of his someday!! Sam,, if you are reading this, I want you to know it was a pleasure meeting you and I sure hope our best of the best VR member @Eck and you can figure out that gorgeous Wing of yours! Also,, my wife (Tippy) and I LOVE the Weed California area! We have made numerous trips out to the west coast on our beat up old Yamaha Venture named "Tweeks" and Weed is one of our favorite places to visit. We met your good friend Nanci on one of our trips out there at one of our VR Motorcycle Club Rallies at The Dalles in Oregon and can both certainly see why you folks and Nanci are such good friends - that @Luvdaleather (thats what we all know Nanci by) is one very talented lady and also the best of the best of our members here (you probably already figured it out, all of our members are best of the best in my opinion)..

Sam, after you get that scoot fired back up and you and your wife start riding it again, you should think about coming out to a Venture Rider Rally or Meet n Greet sometime.. You two would have a BALL and I know these folks would be GLAD to meet you, I KNOW I sure would!!

Your ol buddy from Michigan who kept buggin ya with strange phone calls...

Puc

Just a follow up here for those reading this thread: Been on the phone with Sam a few times already and sent him some tech info/ instructions accompanied with photos last night. His reply was it was getting late and he will look at it tomorrow (which is now today). I received an email from Sam telling me that the articles I sent him that he can not open them on his Ipad, and he said he sent them to his wife's MAC in hopes she can open them. I then re-sent the same articles but in a PDF file in hopes he can open them that way.

I also contacted one of the best of the best GW mechanics on the planet and he said he feels it is stuck in reverse, not first gear..He gave his suggestion of having someone sit on the trike and pull in the clutch, and have another rock the bike back and forth, as the one on the bike pulls up and pushes down on the shifter working it up & down with clutch pulled in..

Am waiting for Sam's reply now to see if this worked. Will report results when I get them.

Eck

Just a follow up here for those reading this thread: Been on the phone with Sam a few times already and sent him some tech info/ instructions accompanied with photos last night. His reply was it was getting late and he will look at it tomorrow (which is now today). I received an email from Sam telling me that the articles I sent him that he can not open them on his Ipad, and he said he sent them to his wife's MAC in hopes she can open them. I then re-sent the same articles but in a PDF file in hopes he can open them that way.

I also contacted one of the best of the best GW mechanics on the planet and he said he feels it is stuck in reverse, not first gear..He gave his suggestion of having someone sit on the trike and pull in the clutch, and have another rock the bike back and forth, as the one on the bike pulls up and pushes down on the shifter working it up & down with clutch pulled in..

Am waiting for Sam's reply now to see if this worked. Will report results when I get them.

Eck

AWESOME ECKSTER!!! Thank you for the update!! :fingers-crossed-emo that the rocking and bouncing routine does the job for our friend Sam!! :thumbsup:

While we are waiting for some kind of news from our California buddy, I wonder if you could do me some learnin with a brief explanation of how the Wing reverse system works.. In talking with Sam, we kind of concluded with the system working of an electric motor that is basically like a car starter.. Do you know if the bike uses the same "starter" to start the bike as it does to move it in reverse? When I first talked to Sam I thought we were talking about a Trike Conversion that came with a reverse electric motor installed on the trike kit rear end.. Being that the reverse is stock Honda, wouldnt there be electrical interlocks in place to keep the reversing action from even being possible if the bike were in gear? Have you heard of what happened to Sam happening to others - seems like bumping the reverse button while in gear would not be that hard of a mistake to make? Is there some kind of an aftermarket update kit that a person can install to keep this from happening?

Great bunch of guys.

Nice Job Y'All

Thanks Zzyzx!

I could not help Sam over the phone.. He has already called a Honda Mechanic and will be taking his trike to him...Sorry Sam, I tried.

Eck

An update on the 2007 Honda trike- Everyone has been super helpful but so far nothing fixed the problem. Found a Honda certified mechanic in Oregon who will try his magic. Bought 2 car dollies in hopes of getting it in the trailer, since it won't roll. Taking it up this weekend.

I'll post an update when he's done. Thanks again to everyone.