IGNORED

Installing Venture Headers & Muffler on a Royal Star Tour Classic?

Hey i just ordered these headers for a 2000 Yamaha Venture and wanted to know if i would have problems installing them in-terms of mounting the muffler system on to the frame of the bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381489479472

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-YAMAHA-XVZ1300-1300-Royal-Star-Venture-EXHAUST-MUFFLER-HEADER-HEADERS-/381489479472?hash=item58d28b7f30:g:xd0AAOSwHQ9WavGg&vxp=mtr

Thanks hopefully someone has put venture headers on their tour classic.

As long as your Tour Classic still has the stays for the saddle bags the only issue you will have is fabricating an adapter plate to hang the mufflers. The Tour Classics that had the 4 x 2 exhaust systems have a straight vertical tab off the top of the mufflers that aligned with a tab on the bottom of saddle bag brackets. The Venture style mufflers use a tab that goes up and bends over (as I recall) so the mufflers will not be a direct bolt on replacement, but I doubt that it is rocket science making an adapter. (I am doing all this from memory, I do not have my old Tour Classic or my Venture any more to verify my memory so I could be a little off on the details) but I do know the mufflers on the two models attach differently.

So I looked at your profile and the bike in your photos is a 4 pipe exhaust se up, the stock 1999 Tour Classic was a 4 into 2 pipe set up similar to the Venture ones you are buying. One of two things has happened, the previous owner took the 4 into 2 pipes off the bike or the model you have is not truly a Tour Classic. Yamaha put out up to 5 or 6 different models of the Royal Stars each year from 96 to around 99, some models were pipers others 4 x 2 set ups. I know for a fact that starting in 1998 the Tour Classics were all 4 x 2 set ups coming out of the factory.

Looking at the photos in your profile I would say that you do not have the stays for the saddle bags installed , those are required for the 4 x 2 mufflers to hang on. Those are way to heavy and long to just let them hang in the breeze off the header pipes, the mufflers have to be supported.

WHen you have a chance, paruze through one of my threads here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?83141-Tearing-into-the-bike-part-Deux&highlight=DarrinGT

I replaced my 4x4 exhaust on my 97 Tour Classic with the Venture Exhaust but added Vance and Hines Monster Ovals. Lots of pics and info there.

On the rear brackets, I did buy the Lower Venture Saddle Bag brackets, and cut them off right behind where the Muffler bolted on. and it worked perfect. However after I bought them and got them fitted, I found where another member purchased a couple of old school, chrome Chevy small block alternator brackets and used them. That worked well, was chrome, and inexpensive. Wish I would have looked into that before buying the lower brackets.

One other thing that I did was lower the bags, you will see that in the thread as well.

Good Luck, keep us posted!

Yeah that was the post I had looked at but I thought there was a mounting location on the actual muffler and there's no picture there?

It depends on what you are going to do, If you are going to lower the bags like I did, the pics are on post #129 , I made brackets out of Aluminum Stock. If your not lowering the bags, it will be different than what I did. Either way, your prolly just gonna have to make your own bracketry.