IGNORED

99' cruise issues

I am the 2nd owner of this 99 RSTD. It has 5200 mi. on it. The cruise does not work. The lights show it is on. Hence- fuse is good. I have verified both lt. and rt. lower Cruise devices electrical connections are clean and tight. The vacumm hose in between the 2, running under the radiator is good. Due to certain disabilities, I absolutely need the cruie to work. All advice is appreciated. I have down loaded the wiring diagram from this site as well. Thank You. TJ3777.

I don't know how you've tested the cruise, but some important information I learned after I purchased my '99 RSV.......

The cruise only functions in 4th and 5th gears, and then only between 45-80 (going from memory here). If you're testing the cruise in another gear or at lower speeds, it will not work.

Also, when setting the cruise, it typically drops off a little to start with and needs to be adjusted a little afterwards.

Lastly, if the cruise is working to hard (like in a strong headwind) if it drops off too much, it will stop working.

Good Luck!

Dave

No idea if this is applicable to yours but I know on one of my first 1st Gens I had cruise (it was a Royale) that, after it got close to 300k on it the clutch lever got so tired and worn that a simple bump in the road would cause the switch for the cruise at the clutch to interrupt.. It's a small micro switch that is probably the same on your scoot. Cant remember if there is one also on the front and rear brake pedals but I think there was.. Anyway, perhaps one of these interlock switches is out of adjustment or gone faulty.. Might be worth a check..

Wait these bikes last nearly to 300,000 miles?

Yeaaa,, some of them do,,, but not all switches, light bulbs, clutches, tires, brake pads, fork seals, carb syncs, stators, fuel pumps, wire terminals, valve stems, wheel bearings, float valves, slide diaphrams, shift lever linkages, rear shocks, ignition modules, fuse boxes, main jets, oil changes, water pumps, drive shafts, forward gears, second gears, header gaskets, fuel tanks petcock, valve lash shims, fork springs or even key switch for that matter get to complete the full 300k with the scoot.. :big-grin-emoticon:

:lightbulb:THE ONES THAT MAKE IT CAN SURE HAVE CHARACTER WHEN THEY GET THERE - IMHO OF COURSE:big-grin-emoticon:

DSCN2035.JPG

Thank You everyone for the replies. I will remember the 4th & 5th gear ....From 45 - to - 80 mph. I will check all the switches. Clutch, Cruise, Brake and kickstand switches. I did adjust the back brake sw. just enough for it to light the brake light and remain a tight pedal operation.... I like to have the brake light come on ASAP, so I tried to give it a little more slack. I have tried it at the speeds above and to no avail so far. I will verify that the vacuum hose in between the pump and actuator is rid of all moisture.

I also have the issue of having to bleed the clutch a couple of times every 50 or so miles or the clutch will slip. I live in the east side of Tennessee where it always shows up immediately first out of the gate on a decent hill. Then re-bleed there afterwards. The clutch slips terribly if you do not. I am the 2nd owner and have had the bike since 4800 mi. I immediately rebuilt both the master and slave cylinders and getting rid of the old fluid. I am aware of the tiny purge hole in the master cylinder to insure it is not clogged either re-creating this issue. I have had the local dealer reaffirm that all cylinder seals are properly "stacked" in the cylinders. After a brief pull over and bleed-- the bike goes on once again. (over and over) taking the joy out of riding. If you gradually throttle up--- its ok, but then slips immediately when you try aggressive throttle action...... So I just received "Barnett's Clutch SR-2 Spring conversion plate. "Purple" in color. part # 511-90-10002. I have a friend whos parents bike has the same kit and is a 99' as well. He swears it solves this issue altogether. I have successfully installed a stock replacement clutch kit on my old 87' venture when it had 83,000 mi on it. So what is the general opinion on this part please? Thank You.

Barnett Spring conversion plate works great, I have one and pull a trailer through the mountains lots with absolutely no slippage. Should work great for you as long as the slipping you have had hasn't worn out your clutch plates.

I am the 2nd owner of this 99 RSTD. It has 5200 mi. on it. The cruise does not work. The lights show it is on. Hence- fuse is good. I have verified both lt. and rt. lower Cruise devices electrical connections are clean and tight. The vacumm hose in between the 2, running under the radiator is good. Due to certain disabilities, I absolutely need the cruie to work. All advice is appreciated. I have down loaded the wiring diagram from this site as well. Thank You. TJ3777.

i believe i can help, however i have never seen a 99 rstd with cruise?? is this a venture or a tour deluxe?