IGNORED

Got a Royal Star Tour Classic! :)

It might be that some dealers did offer their customers some aftermarket pipes but I do know for sure that Yamaha themselves never did. I also think that Yamaha would not have been very keen if their dealers were offering their Yamaha customers aftermarket parts for their bikes.

But note that quite many Royal Star owners have made some changes to their mufflers ( I am one of them) and I have seen all kind of brands on these bikes. Rest assure - these slash cuts are not from Yamaha - If I remember right most of these slash cuts come from Baron.

• 2 weeks later...
It might be that some dealers did offer their customers some aftermarket pipes but I do know for sure that Yamaha themselves never did. I also think that Yamaha would not have been very keen if their dealers were offering their Yamaha customers aftermarket parts for their bikes.

But note that quite many Royal Star owners have made some changes to their mufflers ( I am one of them) and I have seen all kind of brands on these bikes. Rest assure - these slash cuts are not from Yamaha - If I remember right most of these slash cuts come from Baron.

They could also be Hard Khrome a very popular brand with Yamaha dealers. In Iceland it may have been frowned on for dealers to offer after market parts and pipes,but it was very common here in the states. I almost bought a new RSTC with bags extra chrome light blue and white. It had the Hard Khrome slash cuts from the dealer.

Thanks ToyOdie for posing these links.

These Links are from my build, and I did a lot of what you are looking to do. Fairing, 4 into 2 Pipe with Monster Ovals, (No dragging problems) 32MM Carbs etc.

If you have not, please take your time and read through the threads,Lots of pics as well,...

Also the questions you have been asking on the Fairing (now that you bought one) Bottom line, the 96 to 99 RSTC have the same stock windshield as the Roadstars. so if a Fairing will bolt on a ROADIE, It will fit on a RSTC. The one that I bought was for a Roadstar. It will bolt to the stock windshield brackets usually with Minor modifications. Check the first thread,...

Sorry I have been off here for a while but will chime in more in the next few days, You got a NICE bike there!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks ToyOdie for posing these links.

These Links are from my build, and I did a lot of what you are looking to do. Fairing, 4 into 2 Pipe with Monster Ovals, (No dragging problems) 32MM Carbs etc.

Hi there Michael and Darrin.

If I remember right then I tried out Darrin´s bike last summer at Freebirds Maintenance day. Great bike and beautiful work Darrin has done. I did not lean the bike much while riding it since it was not my bike but I felt right away that Darrin´s bike was sitting a lot higher than my 98 Tour Classic. The reason might be that Darren has leveling links installed but not me. Also by looking at pictures of both bikes I can see that our rear header pipes look a little different. On my bike the pipes run in a straight line from the joints where the header pipes join, all the way straight to where the mufflers attached. On Darrin´s they seem to shoot a little upright.

I have looked at the part lists for these Tour Classic bikes and they all have the same part number for the 4 into 2 header pipes - from 1997 to 2001 BUT,,,,, The Venture 4 into 2 header pipes have a different part number and have a slight angle upwards in the rear header pipes that will lift the mufflers up higher. By looking at Darrin´s bike I can see that he has the Venture 4 into 2 headers - not the Tour Classic header pipes. That and the leveling links give higher clearance from ground and will minimize the danger of dragging the pipes. No wonder I was dragging my pipes - they must have been sitting about at least 2 to 3 inches lower than Darrin´s.

Note though that different riding styles can have a lot to say about if you drag your pipes or not. I have installed Monster Ovals on my Venture (not installed in the picture below) and I also have the leveling links that raises the bike. Still I drag the pipes a little when doing maximum leaning. Fixed the problem by fabricating scratch pads out of Mirror polished stainless steel that protects the muffler tips where the mufflers drag. Only have to change them out every other year or so.

I would strongly reckomend to you Michael to use Venture header pipes if you go for the Monster Ovals or any big bulky mufflers. Leveling links would also help a great deal since they also raise the bike some.

See pictures attached of the difference between the Tour Classic pipes and the Venture pipes.

1997 to 2001 Tour Classic pipes:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/Maximus/Seat1_zpsddd4bb56.jpg

Versus 1999 to 2013 Venture pipes - Note the different angle from where the horn is:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/The%20Red%20Baron/RedBaron4_zps65565de1.jpg

Thank you i love the bike (Had my first drop tank dent and a little scratched up so i gotta repaint the whole bike :C) but regardless loving the bike and it's in the shop right now getting re-jetted so i'm itching to ride again.

Yes i have checked out your thread, first post i actually saw when i first entered this site haha, along with StarFan showing me it too. I love what you did with the bike and i want to do the mods you talked about in your thread (V-MAX swap, 32mm carb swap) but i don't have that kind of skill-set haha.

Hey Jonas, and Michael.

First of all thanks for the props on the bike Jonas, it was a pleasure meeting you and Bike Swapping with you last year. Also great observation on the different pipes from the Royals to the Venture. That does make a difference in pipe dragging for sure. I have not installed leveling links on my bike so as far as I know the ride level is stock, unless the previous owner did, I believe it to be stock. One difference is the Mustang Seat sits higher than the stock Yami seat, so that is what you may have noticed in ride height. When loaded for touring and riding 2 up I am able do drag the pipes on aggressive cornering. When I am riding alone, the Floor Board will drag before the pipes.

Another thing to note for the pipes, if you want to change from 4 to 4, to 4 to 2, you only need the Rear Y pipe on each side from the Venture. The Front Pipes are interchangeable.

Michael, Yes I have done a lot of work on my bike and considered it to be a fast, strong performer. Until I had the pleasure to ride Jonas's 97 Royal.,.. Wow what a difference between the 2. I have to say that I did not show the came courtesy to his bike as he showed to mine (but was given permission also) so I hit it hard and wound it out. Our bikes performed close to the same until the higher RPM range. His bike has the VMax Cams and just comes to life and keeps pulling right up to the red line. I was surprised how much harder it accelerated, where mine falls off. Hie bike is tuned perfectly and is a joy to ride.

Since then I have actually gone back closer to stock on my bike, I put in the stock ignition box instead of the Dyna 3000, and will also go back to stock gearing as I plan to do more longer trips and am striving to get better fuel mileage.

Here is my advice to you Michael, Make the bike comfortable for you to ride, (fairing, Seats etc) make the pipes how you want them. Just keep in mind that the closer to stock you keep it the less you will have to mess with it in the future. The 32mm Carbs and Sweet and so are the VMax Cams, but it is a LOT of work, finding parts, and tinkering, and if you cant do it your self you will pay a lot of money to have it done for you. Might be worth it, might not, its up to you,... just wanted to give you things to consider.

Keep us posted on the progress!

Jonas good to hear from you and the Red Venture looks Bad Ass Also! Nice work!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my bike back after 3 weeks! :rant:

Put my fairing on and highways bars (they are crash bars but larger) and i'm really liking my bike, just need to paint my bike black to match the fairing cause i'm riding around on a purple bike with a black fairing lol.

20160320_173055-min.jpg

Found out one of my main jets were frozen and he said the carbs were dirty and it took him like 8 hours to clean! Also had cracks in my intake boots and a tear in the main diaphragm, after having the fixed, it's like a new bike. The bike is like a rocket ship! 0-60 in like 3 seconds. Just ordered venture headers and stock mufflers so that hopefully will give me better compression and a performance boost. Anyways wanted to update you guys