IGNORED

Got a Royal Star Tour Classic! :)

Hey everyone!

Been riding my 99 royal star tour classic for a few months now and i already want to mod it haha. Put on 2k miles in a month now (Learning how to ride, never ridden a motorcycle before) and was looking for a forum with a good community. Kinda hard to find royal star forums lol

Optimized-20151101_200310 (1).jpg

I was looking online and saw someone installed vances & hines monster ovals on their royal star and was wondering if anyone else has installed these or harley slip ons on their bikes, also if anyone has installed a road king batwing fairing if you could fill me in on how to install them. Thanks in advance!

*Edit*

Right now i have 4x4 pipes and i'm looking to get 4 into 2's and if anyone has some i would love to buy them off ya!

Edited by michaelclaw

A lot of people here have installed the Harley mufflers on these bikes. I'm talking about on the Royal Star Venture and the newer RSTD though. I'm not sure what it would take on your RSTC. I would assume that you would first have to find a 4 into 2 exhaust. It just requires the fabrication of a simple bracket. I know that some have installed fairings also but I'm not sure about the OEM Harley fairings. Most I've seen have been aftermarket.

A lot of people here have installed the Harley mufflers on these bikes. I'm talking about on the Royal Star Venture and the newer RSTD though. I'm not sure what it would take on your RSTC. I would assume that you would first have to find a 4 into 2 exhaust. It just requires the fabrication of a simple bracket. I know that some have installed fairings also but I'm not sure about the OEM Harley fairings. Most I've seen have been aftermarket.

Yeah that's the first thing I'm purchasing is exhaust headers that are 4 into 2.

So for the fairing I would need to get an aftermarket or eBay one? Also could someone link me one just so I have an idea of what I need to be looking for when I buy one off EBay

So I'm seeing mods for the RSTD (Royal star tour deluxe?) but it says 05-~ would any of those mods work on mine? Such as carb swap 32mm

Some of the mods could work but the carb swap is not just a simple swap. It requires a custom machined intake at the very least. There have been some who have done it but I don't know right off hand of anybody offering that adapter. The newer RSTD are different in a lot of ways. They use the larger carbs, dual air intakes, etc. @StarFan is a member here who lives in Iceland and has done that mod. He went with the larger carbs, big air kit, VMax cams and I'm not sure what else. I know it was a fairly major undertaking. I tagged him in this thread so hopefully he will provide some more insight.

Hey everyone!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103180[/ATTACH]

I was looking online and saw someone installed vances & hines monster ovals on their royal star and was wondering if anyone else has installed these,,,,,

First I will answer your question about the Monster Ovals. I have a 1998 Tour Classic with an original 4 into 2 exhaust. I had original pipes and really wanted the Monster Ovals. Well, I installed them (an easy job- just a fabrication of a simple bracket since the fastening points are not the same). But,,,and I say but,,,,The sound was great to say the least, but leaning in the curves was now history with these pipes on. They sit much to low on the older Royal Stars and for me took all the fun out of riding my bike. Even a very modest lean at low speed would make them drag. Took them off and installed them on my Venture. Even on the Venture I drag them a little when doing max leaning. So my advice would be to forget about them for your bike. You could raise your bike in the back but still I would think that there would be a leaning issue.

I will answer later today regarding the carb swap - at work at the moment : >)

Be safe, Jonas / StarFan

Edited by StarFan
Spelling error

So here are two more places you can rummage around for info and parts on the older Royals.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar

I am pretty sure you will find that the 4 into 2 headers from a Venture will fit the older Royals, one thing you have to have for that set up is a place to hang the mufflers, they are to heavy to just let them stick out the back with just the header pipes holding them up.

On the Ventures, new Tour Deluxes, and older Tour Classic (4 x 2) and older Tour Deluxe (4 x 2) the mufflers were attached to the bottom of the saddle bag supports, so look for a complete set of those while you are looking for mufflers and headers. One other small caveate is that the original Royals with 4 x 2 exhaust used a different hanger bracket and attach point than the Venture and later model (2005 and up) Tour DeLuxe. I am sure one can adapted to the other, but if you get an older set of bag supports and a newer set of mufflers, or vice versa, you will need and adapter of some type to make they work together.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

First I will answer your question about the Monster Ovals. I have a 1998 Tour Classic with an original 4 into 2 exhaust. I had original pipes and really wanted the Monster Ovals. Well, I installed them (an easy job- just a fabrication of a simple bracket since the fastening points are not the same). But,,,and I say but,,,,The sound was great to say the least, but leaning in the curves was not history with these pipes on. They sit much to low on the older Royal Stars and for me took all the fun out of riding my bike. Even a very modest lean at low speed would make them drag. Took them off and installed them on my Venture. Even on the Venture I drag them a little when doing max leaning. So my advice would be to forget about them for your bike. You could raise your bike in the back but still I would think that there would be a leaning issue.

I will answer later today regarding the carb swap - at work at the moment : >)

Be safe, Jonas / StarFan

Alright thank you for the info on the ovals, i will look at other slip-ons. So when im looking can i look at any slip-ons or only Road King ones. (I'm new at all of this so idk how they attach and whether all slip-ons attach the same lol)

I also just want to thank you guys for helping me! Right now i'm just feeling out on parts so i know what i need to buy in the next months.

So here are two more places you can rummage around for info and parts on the older Royals.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar

I am pretty sure you will find that the 4 into 2 headers from a Venture will fit the older Royals, one thing you have to have for that set up is a place to hang the mufflers, they are to heavy to just let them stick out the back with just the header pipes holding them up.

On the Ventures, new Tour Deluxes, and older Tour Classic (4 x 2) and older Tour Deluxe (4 x 2) the mufflers were attached to the bottom of the saddle bag supports, so look for a complete set of those while you are looking for mufflers and headers. One other small caveate is that the original Royals with 4 x 2 exhaust used a different hanger bracket and attach point than the Venture and later model (2005 and up) Tour DeLuxe. I am sure one can adapted to the other, but if you get an older set of bag supports and a newer set of mufflers, or vice versa, you will need and adapter of some type to make they work together.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Alright thank you, im looking at the prices on ebay (The few that i have found) and its looking like im going to pay 250-300+ for the headers and stock mufflers. I will checkout those links, Thank you!

So if someone could answer a question, Did the stock Royal Star's 96-01 (RSTD,RSV & RSTC) come with 4 into 4 pipes, or did the previous owner of my bike do this to my bike? I need to do my pipes first cause i literally have no backpower on my bike right now as the previous owner changed the pipes on them and didn't get the bike rejetted.

Mufflers for the touring models are all the same. Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, etc. Be careful of the years though. There were a few years, and I forget which years that Harley put a catalytic convertor in the right muffler.

Actually, never mind. You are talking about after market mufflers. Only the OEM mufflers are affect by the catalytic convertor.

Mufflers for the touring models are all the same. Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, etc. Be careful of the years though. There were a few years, and I forget which years that Harley put a catalytic convertor in the right muffler.

Actually, never mind. You are talking about after market mufflers. Only the OEM mufflers are affect by the catalytic convertor.

Alright thanks so with those mufflers is it just a matter of pushing it and and somehow fastening onto the frame, like plug n play? (lol if you get what im saying)

So if someone could answer a question, Did the stock Royal Star's 96-01 (RSTD,RSV & RSTC) come with 4 into 4 pipes, or did the previous owner of my bike do this to my bike? I need to do my pipes first cause i literally have no backpower on my bike right now as the previous owner changed the pipes on them and didn't get the bike rejetted.

I am not sure the previous owner has messed with your pipes. The thing is, Yamaha went a little back and forward with the headerpipe setup through the years on the older Royal Stars. It is highly possible that your bike came originally with this setup. The mufflers on your bike do not look original to me. Don´t remember that slash cut on these bikes. I sincerely doubt that they are Yamaha mufflers. If the bike is lacking power I would look somewhere else than at the muffler/exhaust setup. One way to check if these mufflers are Yamaha is to have a close look at them all around. There should be a Yamaha stamp and some letters somewhere on the inner side towards the bike or the underside. At least I have seen that on all bikes that I have taken the original mufflers of off.

I am not sure the previous owner has messed with your pipes. The thing is, Yamaha went a little back and forward with the headerpipe setup through the years on the older Royal Stars. It is highly possible that your bike came originally with this setup. The mufflers on your bike do not look original to me. Don´t remember that slash cut on these bikes. I sincerely doubt that they are Yamaha mufflers. If the bike is lacking power I would look somewhere else than at the muffler/exhaust setup. One way to check if these mufflers are Yamaha is to have a close look at them all around. There should be a Yamaha stamp and some letters somewhere on the inner side towards the bike or the underside. At least I have seen that on all bikes that I have taken the original mufflers of off.

Yeah i had looked before and didn't see any stamp on them, thats what my other friend had said about the mufflers. (They aren't oem)

Unrelated:

If i was to purchase this batwing this would it fit on my bike with some custom brackets or mounting system?

eBay Link

Yeah i had looked before and didn't see any stamp on them, thats what my other friend had said about the mufflers. (They aren't oem)

Unrelated:

If i was to purchase this batwing this would it fit on my bike with some custom brackets or mounting system?

eBay Link

First of all nice bike. I have had a 96 RSTC and currently rida a 97 RSTC. The pipes on you bike are OEM. Both of mine had/have slash cut pipes. If I'm correct, the first bike with 4X2 was the 99 RSV. I can't remeber who, but I was told all 99-05 4X2 header pipes will fit our bikes. The support for the mufflers will need to be fabricated if you don't have the Yamaha hard bags and supports installed. I have been looking for the whole rear end from a Venture that I can swap. I would like to make mine a poor mans Venture. Besides it's more fun to build it yourself.

Hear is a link for my fairing installation:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?96433-Faring-Installation

This is another couple of good links for Moding an early 2nd gen RSTC

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?56020-Time-to-start-Tearing-into-the-Bike&highlight=tearing+bike

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?83141-Tearing-into-the-bike-part-Deux&highlight=DarrinGT

Edited by ToyOdie

First of all nice bike. I have had a 96 RSTC and currently rida a 97 RSTC. The pipes on you bike are OEM. Both of mine had/have slash cut pipes. If I'm correct, the first bike with 4X2 was the 99 RSV. I can't remeber who, but I was told all 99-05 4X2 header pipes will fit our bikes. The support for the mufflers will need to be fabricated if you don't have the Yamaha hard bags and supports installed. I have been looking for the whole rear end from a Venture that I can swap. I would like to make mine a poor mans Venture. Besides it's more fun to build it yourself.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?56020-Time-to-start-Tearing-into-the-Bike&highlight=tearing+bike

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?83141-Tearing-into-the-bike-part-Deux&highlight=DarrinGT

Hey!

I had looked at your topic before :D, but the only thing is i couldn't tell what kind of fairing you had purchased. The eBay link i had chosen looks like yours but for the fairing since it's not obviously going to mount on normally what kind would i need to chose? Can you link me one? Could you take a really close up of you mounted it so i could get an idea? Also how much did you end paying for the whole fairing project, i'm hoping it will be under one thousand but i'm still learning all of this haha

*Edit*

So i saw this fairing that mentioned "Stealth", this one seems like maybe the one you had purchased?

link

20160125_161023-min2.jpg

Edited by michaelclaw

Hey!

I had looked at your topic before :D, but the only thing is i couldn't tell what kind of fairing you had purchased. The eBay link i had chosen looks like yours but for the fairing since it's not obviously going to mount on normally what kind would i need to chose? Can you link me one? Could you take a really close up of you mounted it so i could get an idea? Also how much did you end paying for the whole fairing project, i'm hoping it will be under one thousand but i'm still learning all of this haha

I was looking at this fairing, link, is that what yours was when u purchased it?

OK if you will send an email to me at stevemarilyn@hotmail.com I will send you a series of PDFs that show the various models of Royal Stars available from 96 to 99. After 99 the only models offered for the original Royals were the Tour Deluxe and the Tour Classic.

The Venture came out in 99 with the 98 hp motor and the later model Tour Deluxe came out in 2005 with the Venture motor.

Later model Tour Deluxes ended in 2010 and the Ventures in 2013.

The first Royal Star with 4 x 2 pipes was the 97 Tour Deluxe. The Tour Classic had 4 x 2 pipes starting in 98.

None of the PDFs I have show any 4 pipers with slash cut pipes.

Hey!

*Edit*

So i saw this fairing that mentioned "Stealth", this one seems like maybe the one you had purchased?

link

Here is a link to the fairing that I bought. Any of the fairings that have the word "Gelcoat" in the title are from the same vendor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Roadstar-Motorcycle-Fairing-1600-1700-2-Speaker-Batwing-Gelcoat-/351286976004?vxp=mtr&hash=item51ca55de04

When I bought it there were more available and you could bid on them. I spent almost 2 months bidding until I got it for the price I wanted to pay. (Nobody wanted to bid on Thanksgiving Day :rasberry:) I built my fairing for less than $250. That included the stereo, speakers, and gauges. If your budget is up to $1000, I would look at fairings that come pre assembled. http://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/royal_star.htm or http://hoppeindustries.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_33_49

As far as fitment for mine. All I had to do was put a little "S" bend in the mount brackets to make them 1/4 inch wider to fit the stock windshield mount. DarrinGT bought a fairing for a Roadstar and did the same thing to make it fit. His wasn't the same as mine. The other thing you need to do is get a set of Venture risers so the fairing will clear. The Venture risers kick back. I also added a 2" riser extention to bring the bars back for comfort. That made all the difference for me. I also had RickButler mod my seat. Money well spent!

Here is a link to the fairing that I bought. Any of the fairings that have the word "Gelcoat" in the title are from the same vendor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Roadstar-Motorcycle-Fairing-1600-1700-2-Speaker-Batwing-Gelcoat-/351286976004?vxp=mtr&hash=item51ca55de04

When I bought it there were more available and you could bid on them. I spent almost 2 months bidding until I got it for the price I wanted to pay. (Nobody wanted to bid on Thanksgiving Day :rasberry:) I built my fairing for less than $250. That included the stereo, speakers, and gauges. If your budget is up to $1000, I would look at fairings that come pre assembled. http://www.recklessmotorcycles.com/royal_star.htm or http://hoppeindustries.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_33_49

As far as fitment for mine. All I had to do was put a little "S" bend in the mount brackets to make them 1/4 inch wider to fit the stock windshield mount. DarrinGT bought a fairing for a Roadstar and did the same thing to make it fit. His wasn't the same as mine. The other thing you need to do is get a set of Venture risers so the fairing will clear. The Venture risers kick back. I also added a 2" riser extention to bring the bars back for comfort. That made all the difference for me. I also had RickButler mod my seat. Money well spent!

So i checked all the things i wanted on it and it was like 1200 lol, so for that much do you know if those fairing would fit on my RTSC right out of the box?

So i checked all the things i wanted on it and it was like 1200 lol, so for that much do you know if those fairing would fit on my RTSC right out of the box?

Several of the members have installed the Reckless fairing. It's made to order for the Royal Star. I would imagine it's pretty much Plug-n-Play after you hook up the electrical. Do a search on Reckless fairings and you should be able to fine more info.

The first $12 bucks you should spend is becoming a member of this site. You'll never regret it. The wealth of information is priceless. Not to mention the frendships.

The pipes on you bike are OEM. Both of mine had/have slash cut pipes. If I'm correct, the first bike with 4X2 was the 99 RSV. I can't remeber who, but I was told all 99-05 4X2 header pipes will fit our bikes.

Well Toyodie I think this is not quite correct.

These Slash Cut Pipes ARE aftermarket or OEM from other bike brands.. Yamaha never made a Slash Cut for the Royal Stars. Here below you can see a picture of the original 4 into 4 pipes on a 1999 Tour De Lux. This is the same setup that was used from 1996 and onward. In 1996 there was only 4 into 4 available.

In 1997 the 4 into 2 was available at certain models. Both my 1998 Tour Classic II´s were original and untampered with when I bought them and both had the 4 into 2 setup.

Original Yamaha 4 into 4 exhaust Yamaha Royal Star 1999

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/pc-1999-royal-star_zps0pq7ikcc.jpg

pc-1999-royal-star.jpg

Well Toyodie I think this is not quite correct.

These Slash Cut Pipes ARE aftermarket or OEM from other bike brands.. Yamaha never made a Slash Cut for the Royal Stars. Here below you can see a picture of the original 4 into 4 pipes on a 1999 Tour De Lux. This is the same setup that was used from 1996 and onward. In 1996 there was only 4 into 4 available.

In 1997 the 4 into 2 was available at certain models. Both my 1998 Tour Classic II´s were original and untampered with when I bought them and both had the 4 into 2 setup.

Original Yamaha 4 into 4 exhaust Yamaha Royal Star 1999

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a501/jonaslill/pc-1999-royal-star_zps0pq7ikcc.jpg

OK, you got me curious. I went out and pulled One of my pipes and found no Yamaha part numbers. It just seems strange that both of my bikes had the same pipes on them. I did a search on Royal Star Tour classics and found several bikes with the same pipes that appear to be stock. All the bikes that I did find had the two-tone paint scheme. Maybe this was an option that the dealer could install.