IGNORED

trailer rebuild project

bikerjohn

Rebuilding my Trailer I hauled to Venture west in 2014.

The base trailer is a harbor freight 4 x 4 trailer. I cut the width 2 30 inchs (not counting tires and fenders), when I first bought the trailer.

This will be the 4th rebuild (remodel) of the trailer.

This time I am going to go with Smart Bins for storage, facing each other and opening towards the outsides.

If you saw my bike at International, you noticed the rack I build and had in the receiver hitch. I am making it that the rack will be on the back of the trailer providing the brake, turn and tail lights, I may add LED marker lights to the sides of the bins.

Here are pictures of the project so far.

100_4189.jpg

DSC00085 (Mobile).JPG

20160118_182408 (Mobile).jpg

20160118_202901 (Mobile).jpg

20160118_204042 (Mobile).jpg

20160118_204507.jpg

20160118_185054 (Mobile).jpg

20160119_132825 (Mobile).jpg

20160119_132834 (Mobile).jpg

Interesting. I never thought of putting the rack back there.

I went a different route where I am planning to mount the receiver rack in a receiver on the tongue to act as the cooler rack, then when I am at my destination I can leave the trailer and pop the rack back in the back of the bike and have it for day trips from base camp. But now I may have to rethink my plans.

My only concern with the rack that far back is keeping the tongue weight correct.

I did not mean the trailer into the back of the rack, I meant the rack mounted to the trailer tongue just in front of the cargo box where a cooler is normally mounted.

I think it would be bad to try to plug the trailer into the back of the rack. It would be way to easy to have too much weight back there, and the trailer would then also have even more leverage to adversely influence the handling of the bike.