IGNORED

HELP! clutch problems

I feel like I am writing Dear Abby letter, so here it goes,

Dear people that are smarter than me,

I noticed the other day that the love of my life, (bike) wasn't shifting well, I remember a post on here that talked about vanishing fluid, well mine vanished. So I took the lid off the master cylinder and added fluid, and then went to youtube and checked out how to bleed it, and I did everything I think right, but I am in a worse condition than I was before.

By the time I checked it originally , I had run the reservoir dry.....

I went back and changed took all the fluid out of the master cylinder, clear fluid, and again tried to bleed it.

When I am bleeding it, and I pull in on the clutch lever I can get some clear fluid out of it, the fluid is pushing through, slowly and what seems to be not enough compared to what should be there. just a little bit comes out and not with much force.

I have discovered a design flaw with this bike, who was the idiot that put a reservoir with fluid on a slant, even when you level the bike and the reservoir is full, it still barely covers the holes. Why not have it so when the bike is up and level the reservoir is level. And I learned if you have the bike level and fill the reservoir and not put the top back on it and put it on its kickstand, fluid goes everywhere.......

Some how I think that in the master cylinder or in the line up top, there is air trapped in there.

When all together everything tighten there is no resistance at all on the clutch lever, and it makes a gurgling noise.

Also when all together there is no fluid leaking from anywhere.

I am using DOT 4 fluid like it says too.

What am I missing or doing wrong? I just bought a new leather jacket, that I will wrap up for my wife to give me at Christmas, but until now I want to be riding the bike......

Again help, and I am getting psyche problems from ridding withdraw.

From Frustrated

PS. anyone have pictures of how to change the slave cylinder and where can I buy one, roughly how much are they.

Clutch bleeding is pretty simple to do in practice, but difficult to describe in text.

First off - the master cylinder will be more level with the bars turned to the right.

Second - you need to get the master cylinder primed. What you're doing now is sucking air back and forth from the banjo bolt. It's easier to do with a helper. Loosen the banjo bolt a bit and hold a wad of paper towels around it. Have your helper squeeze the clutch lever and hold while you tighten the bolt then release the lever. Repeat several time until the fluid oozes around the bolt without spurts or bubbles. Be very careful not to get brake fluid on the paint or plastic, wash any that brake fluid that spills promptly with soapy water.

Then you need to bleed the rest of the system. It's easier with a vacuum bleeder but I'm going to assume you're doing it manually. Put a clean piece of hose on the bleed screw with the free end submerged in brake fluid in an open container. Have helper squeeze lever and hold, you open screw and the hose will bubble. Close the screw and have helper release lever. Repeat until there are no more bubbles.

The slave cylinder is behind the middle gear cover and held on with three socked head cap screws. In addition to the new slave cylinder you'll need a new gasket for the middle gear cover. When you take the cover off you'll lose about 1/2 cup of oil. You can get the slave cylinder and gasket from any Yamaha dealer or on line parts store. I think your cost for a slave and gasket from an on line parts store will be about $100.