IGNORED

Noise on the 5th gear

Hello! I bought RSV recently (2006, around 6k miles on it, the previous owner almost didn't ride it). It is perfect in everything But

When I shift to 5th gear, sound from somwhere under changes a bit. It is not loud, it is not whining, but it is another than on other gears and a little bit louder.

So is it common or not for this bike? What would you suggest to check?

Thanks!

Maybe the noise is always there, you just don't hear it till the engine gets quitter in 5th gear. Change out the diff oil for starters.

Difference in sound is definite. I changed oil once bought. Now I have synthetic oil in it. Which one would you suggest? Mineral or synthetic?

What speed are you shifting into 5th?? That gear is pretty much useless under 60 mph. It is really an Overdrive gear, and the Venture motor likes higher RPM's, like 4K and above...

Usually I shift at much lower speed. Around 70-80 kmh (45mph). But I do not accelerate aggressively at low RPM's

Gotta agree with what our buddies are saying here Pav, if you are dropping into Fifth at 45 mph you are probably hearing the drive train strain and the engine shutter from being lugged. Try not shifting into Overdrive (5th) under 60 mph and see if that makes a difference..

Yup 8o Kmh is just 4th gear.... way too slow for 5th gear. These bikes want revs. You are lugging the engine and that will be the noise.

What oil..... well there is an argument that has been going for years and will likely continue for more.

My motorcycle mechanic says not to use synthetic oil in our bikes, mainly due to the clutch style..... I am not a mechanic.....he says dyno oil or semi synthetic.

Difference in sound is definite. I changed oil once bought. Now I have synthetic oil in it. Which one would you suggest? Mineral or synthetic?

I am going to go with what everybody else is saying that 45mph to 5th gear is way too slow. Try hitting 60mph before shifting into 5th and let us know if the noise is still there.

Thank you everyone who stayed care to my question. I understood the following:

1. Noise is not common

2. Shift to the 5th at 60+ mph

3. Use non-synthetic oil

I'll try these things that you guys advised and feedback here once have any results. Unfortunately, that'll be not very soon, because winter has come to Russia :( And a few month we can't ride :( Only upgrading bikes.

P.S. Please excuse me for my English

One last word on oil since I do not know what you have available to you. The best oil to use is one certified to JASO *MA* level and says so on the outside of the container. This means that it is good to use in wet clutches like ours. It can have this certification and be either mineral or synthetic.

Pavel, thank you for joining us all the way from Moscow. I hope you are able to stay around as a regular contributor to our group.

Thank you everyone who stayed care to my question. I understood the following:

1. Noise is not common

2. Shift to the 5th at 60+ mph

3. Use non-synthetic oil

I'll try these things that you guys advised and feedback here once have any results. Unfortunately, that'll be not very soon, because winter has come to Russia :( And a few month we can't ride :( Only upgrading bikes.

P.S. Please excuse me for my English

Pavel, thank you for joining us all the way from Moscow. I hope you are able to stay around as a regular contributor to our group.

AWESOME!!!!:thumbsup: I too would like to thank you for joining us from Moscow @Pavel !! Hopefully you do sign on as a supportive member and fill us in on what its like to own/operate and tour your country on your RSV - we really enjoy :photographing:'s too and would be down right PROUD to share some time looking at some of any experiences you may want to share!! :thumbsup:

Regards from Muskegon Mi USA!

One last word on oil since I do not know what you have available to you. The best oil to use is one certified to JASO *MA* level and says so on the outside of the container. This means that it is good to use in wet clutches like ours. It can have this certification and be either mineral or synthetic.

Tank you! I can get Yamalube, which is certified JASO MA. It is recommended by Manual. I'll see whether it can improve the situation.