IGNORED

Soft type trailer cargo holder

KIC

So I am thinking of building a trailer. I would go with a small Harbor Freight tag along, extend the hitch, immediately replace the bearings and what I was thinking was instead of the normal hard cover roof carrier that is usually mounted, going with the soft tops that could be removed. Something along these:

packright_sports_1_car_top_carrier.jpg car topper rightline_100D90-1.jpgcar topper rightline_100D90-2.jpg

I kinda like the dual ones since they can be easily removed and taken inside. My wife wants to try motorcycle camping with some friends and this setup could be easier to load and pack. I can see the tent sitting right up on top. She wants a tent trailer to pull behind, but this set up would be $2500 cheaper.

Security wise I like the fiberglass/plastic units. As far as wind goes you could build a little wedge at front of trailer to get wind going over the fiber bag set up. Depending on how long your tent is, build your wedge (wind ramp) so your tent will fit under it and secure to trailer bed. Then your equipment bags behind that. Even if the wedge is not as tall as the bags, once you get it going in the direction you want your pretty good.

Security wise I like the fiberglass/plastic units. As far as wind goes you could build a little wedge at front of trailer to get wind going over the fiber bag set up. Depending on how long your tent is, build your wedge (wind ramp) so your tent will fit under it and secure to trailer bed. Then your equipment bags behind that. Even if the wedge is not as tall as the bags, once you get it going in the direction you want your pretty good.

I was thinking along the same lines as putting the tent across the front of the bags and using one bag for the sleeping bags and cooking stuff and the other for clothes and misc. not so concerned about the security as the purpose of the soft bags would be to be able to take them inside, for example if at a residence or hotel. A simple lock could secure them to the trailer for travel and short stops. I would think that if I had the hard trunk, I would leave anything of any value in it over night in a parking lot anyway.

Well it is still in the thought process. My wife says to get a tent trailer or nothing. She is "done" with tent, on the ground air mattress, sleeping. :confused24:

She had just seen our friends motorcycle tent trailer and decided that is the way to go. We used to have a full size tent trailer for camping that she liked. There is only about a $3,000.00 difference between my idea and hers... :yikes:

I have snooped around my local CL. Every now and then one pops up. But I am gettin pretty particular anymore. Sumtin about indoor plumbing, air con and a real bed. Especially after a long day riding. WE did the camp thing years ago. Ride all day then have to set up, cook, maybe a shower and go to bed. Just not me at this point. I will say I have seen some pretty nice units, but the fancy ones have fancy $$$$

I hear ya. We have camped for 35 years in campers, tents and a larger tent trailer. The wifey says the tent and air mattress is a thing of the past but would camp with a tent trailer. I know the $$ will never be there for a trailer so this is my compromise...and I'll throw in a real nice air mattress for the tent.

mock up.jpg

Add a floor, paint the frame, add four stands and a front 3rd wheel, and put the tent in front with a small cooler... I can see it happening... :smile5:

I hear ya. We have camped for 35 years in campers, tents and a larger tent trailer. The wifey says the tent and air mattress is a thing of the past but would camp with a tent trailer. I know the $$ will never be there for a trailer so this is my compromise...and I'll throw in a real nice air mattress for the tent.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102365[/ATTACH]

Add a floor, paint the frame, add four stands and a front 3rd wheel, and put the tent in front with a small cooler... I can see it happening... :smile5:

So opting for the expensive choice of a tent trailer or nothing and then absconding with the cheque book huh? Did it cross your mind that perhaps it was her way of telling you no more camping?

Might be worthwhile getting a clarification.

Just saying.....

• 1 month later...

Got the word last night that wifemate wants to try MC camping as well....so...

This is about the least expensive MC camper....about $3K plus a hitch and wiring for bike.

There are bigger and heavier ones but the price goes up considerably.

I like this one better...it's bigger but more $$.

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_122&products_id=191

And another:

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/sentry/sentryindex.html

Don't think she would go @KIC's route...we already "camp out" in a 23 foot sailboat...so she knows that and is good with it.

IMG_0324.jpg

So...guess I need to start watching Craig's List and start studying about pulling 300 pounds behind the scoot!

Sigh...

These are nice . I had one a few years ago and used it for 2 years before getting the bunkhouse I have now.

Likes are:

Pulls real nice

Very easy to set up ( got into Asheville NC one year in the rain Kickstand down and in the camper in 5 minutes )

The hard top and rail allows the option to carry additional cargo.

Decent storage.

Small footprint makes it easy to store.

My Dislikes are :

Only good for 1 person it will fit 2 but it will be tight ( I was 240 lbs and 5.11 at the time ) and it was just enough

Getting dressed while laying down.

No place for a heater if you needed one.

No place to get out of the weather

You can make a box for the top of the HF trailer with a hard top and pack yourself a nice size tent and a couple of good cots or a King air mattress

As for pulling 300 pounds you should have no problems.

When we head out we are 2 up pulling an easy 400 pounds.

Like pulling a trailer with car you need to use the same cautions.

If you want to get into motorcycle camping .

Try .

http://www.ibmc.org/default.asp

http://www.motocampers.com/

Found this on the IBMC classified section.

For Sale - 2009 Bunkhouse Lil `B` Camping Trailer, good tires, clean $2,000.

Contact Gene Allen 319-210-6719 in Texas.

Be safe

Dave Wells

Got the word last night that wifemate wants to try MC camping as well....so...

This is about the least expensive MC camper....about $3K plus a hitch and wiring for bike.

There are bigger and heavier ones but the price goes up considerably.

I like this one better...it's bigger but more $$.

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_122&products_id=191

And another:

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/sentry/sentryindex.html

Don't think she would go @KIC's route...we already "camp out" in a 23 foot sailboat...so she knows that and is good with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103049[/ATTACH]

So...guess I need to start watching Craig's List and start studying about pulling 300 pounds behind the scoot!

Sigh...

My first thought was / is: Are the soft bags washable? Over time they will become pretty nasty looking after several rides in the rain plus the miles of just road dust accumulation. Would be nice if they are machine washable so you could spruce them up once in a while using the home washing machine when mamma is at work.. :stickpoke:

• 1 month later...

I tried pulling a 23 foot sailboat behind my bike but the mast kept getting stuck in the overhead wires... :confused24:

:rotfl:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103049[/ATTACH]

Sigh...

• 1 month later...

If you look around, especially on the expanded Craigslist searches, you will see these small campers crop up occasionally. I found one that a guy listed that he was having in his yard sale the next day and I sent him an email as it was about midnight and he gave me a call the next morning. It was a Time Out Camper that he had bought at an estate auction and used a couple of times and then stored it.

Made a quick trip down to Spring City, NC, which is just south of Myrtle Beach and got it for $600. I pulled my 4x8 trailer down as I did not want to worry about lights or bearings. The only downside was he did not give me a title, but I was able to run it through TN with getting a basic evaluation of value and paid taxes on that and now it is legal. We don't require tags on trailers less than 16 feet here in TN, but I wanted one.

I checked and re-greased the bearings and lights and it is in very good shape. I have pulled it with my Miata and that worked very good. The Time Out Camper weighs a bit less, at about 350 pounds than the old Travelite camper that I pulled with my 83 Venture. I also picked up a brand new 5,000 BTU A/C for $60 that fits perfect in the side of it. I have since made a better stand for the A/C.

The best way to think about something like this is buy something good, use it and take care of it and then sell it for what you paid for it or even more when you are not using it anymore. I will try to include some pics when we first set it up. It is made for a queen size mattress and everything is at least a foot off the ground.

RandyDSCN2360.JPGDSCN2708.JPGDSCN2714.JPG

Edited by Venturous Randy