IGNORED

2006 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture, XVZ 1300. V4 1298cc (79ci) engine

SpencerPJ

I'm debating trading up my 83 Venture. She runs fine, just an 83, a little cautious to ride over 100 miles, I picked it up a couple years ago, didn't realize what kinda great bike it was. Have some spare cash (little), and just not feeling shake of a Harley.

Love any of your advise on the attached link here close by Indy.

Thanks

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/5217674565.html

I have an 03 and I feel that it is by far the best bike that I have ever had. If I were looking for one I would not have any second thoughts. With 20,000 miles it is a good buy. I would look at the rear shock to see if it has any leakage, that may be the only concern I would have.

I'd say keep the 83 and ride it as much as you want.

Cowpuc can show you some serious mileage on an early venture and he seems to be rollin' fine, even with a buggered up 2nd gear.

I just jump on my 83 and go whenever I want. Down teh street of 6 hours away. No real worries.

Now, if you just want a newer venture because you want one, I say go get it!

:)

Edited by Great White

Look at the shock mount ,jus ahead of the rear wheel if it's leaking you'll see oil on it and the linkage, of course if he's powerwashed it it may be clean & no oil in the shock. Best thing is to let the air out of the shock a and go for a ride, find some hard dip or bumps, if it bottoms out hard there's a good chance it's shot. Not a deal breaker if you can get the bike at a reduced price, $500 will buy an aftermarket shock of your choice.

That's a nice bike but I've been watching the market on these and it seems folks are hard pressed to get anything near book value for them. I paid MUCH less than his asking price for my 06 with 33k miles in very good condition needing nothing. BTW that bike is also listed on eBay here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Royal-Star-/271991292329?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f53f1c1a9&item=271991292329

Maybe you can get it for less depending on what his reserve is.

Edited by Beach Bum

I like my old VR a whole lot and can depend on it. I like the way it handles!

But if you're gonna travel a lot, break downs are a bit easier to tolerate on a newer machine that you can more readily find parts for at repair shops.

I usually take the Max or the MM if I am gonna tour and have a time schedule to be where I need to be. If I'm just out to get away and have some fun, I'll take the '88.

But if you have a smart phone, ride that old Venture. You can always find help on this forum, pretty much wherever you may travel.

Well, Sold before I get take a look at it. Bummer

Appreciate the 2 cents from all. I am stewing over this, but my 83 has issues when it's wet outside, I need to replace the TCI and remount it. With 30k on it, 2nd gear will go in the future, and I'm not savvy enough to dig that deep into a bike repair, and would rather sell it prior to the issue.

Having said this, it sure would be cheaper to throw a couple Gs at the bike and make it a long term perfect bike.

I'll wait for the right deal, or keep enjoying the 83. If anyone comes across a 2nd Gen great deal in Indy area, let me know.

Thanks