IGNORED

Right side mirror issue

Have a weird issue on my 00 RSTC. The right side mirror has been effectively locked down onto the front brake master cylinder. It looks like someone took a chisel and knocked an indentation on each corner of the locking nut. I've tried bracing the master cylinder with a wrench and then trying to loosen it, but I can't get it to move at all. Any ideas, other than replacing the master cylinder and buying new mirrors?

If the locking nut is indexed with marks in the edges ,It suggests to me that the mirror stand is a left hand thread .

If this is so, you would have to reverse the spannering direction in order to loosen (undo) the mirror.

Cheers ,

Winston66, Northampton, Western Australi

That means you have to do it up (tighten it) in order to loosen it.

Edited by winston66
addition

Have just checked my 1996 Royal Star and I confirm that the right hand mirror has a left hand thread , which is reversed to normal rotation action, and I also have the index marks on the locking nut which confirms the left hand thread.

Cheers , Winston 66

Thanks for the information. Didn't know that about indexing. Hopefully I will remember it! Cheers Winston!

Addendum: Turned the wrench the "wrong" way, and the locking nut loosened right up. Thanks again!

Edited by Mark J