IGNORED

Ultimate Seat.. ( I Finally Did It !!)

After much research I finally ordered a new Ultimate Seat for my 05 RSTD... I just couldn't take the stock seat anymore, Had it Butlerized (which did help some) added a quick release backrest (helped some) but I still couldn't do over 200 miles without being miserable... So in a couple of days my new seat with backrest, passenger seat and passenger backrest, will be here and i'm really excited about it !!!

Edited by bwk

The new Ultimate Seat just came in, it was relatively easy to install (which is saying quite a bit considering my lack of mechanical ability) It's way to hot to go for a ride until the sun goes down... But after just sitting on the bike i'm not sure i'm going to like it... The problem is it pushes (me and my boys) on top of the tank, same reason I didn't like the Stock Seat... Tomorrow morning i'm heading out on an 800 round trip, hopefully i'll like it better by the time I get back home... If not, i'm sending it back and i'll start saving for the Russell All Day Long...

After putting over 800 miles on the New Ultimate, it's going back to Florida... For me it's better than the Stock (Butlerized) Seat.. But here's the problem: Just like the Stock Seat it sets me on top of the Gas Tank (very uncomfortable)... I love this RSTD, but i just haven't been able to get comfortable.. I've tried (Beads, Alaskan Sheep Skin, Butler Modification, Combinations of the Aforementioned and now the Ultimate) the only thing left is the Airhawk Pad or the Russell Day Long... Anybody else had these issues? How did you solve the problem??

Sorry to hear the Ultimate did not work for you. Have only heard of a few not liking the passenger seat, not many not liking the front.

They do say it moves you up on the tank but I am 5'9" and the bike fits me fine.

As this is the only seat I have known on my RSTD, I have no comparison.

I did put a Mustang set on my old Roadstar,,, for 100 miles, took it back to the dealer.

(Had a Mustang on a used Strat I bought. Nice looking but also hard.)

I bought a used Russell Daylong for my RSV but I did not know the first owner was 6'3" till later, and they are custom made per rider specs.

I could not get my feet on the ground cause it has "wings" for your hips.

Russell would not modify it for me and I sold it to a 6'5" friend. He loves it.

But, that is pretty big money. See what their fitment guarantee is. Great quality.

I don't know if they make them for RSTD(?).

Most like the Airhawk. I had one on my Roadstar, but as my legs are shorter, when I put my foot down, felt like I was shifting off the bike. Sold it too so someone who loves it 8 years later.

Now, I have a Harley Davidson waffle pad I use on the RSV to alternate on long rides. It gives your butt more air. First time I used it I rode 950 miles straight in 18 hours. Don't know if it's an answer.

Good luck.

Oh, there is a seat mod outfit in Florida some here have touted, forgot their name. Might chase that. I also used one in NC called Mean City Cycles. That is all they do.

Thanks Mike... A local Yamaha Dealer has a Air Hawk that he said I could test ride for the day before purchasing... I think i'll try that before pulling the trigger on the Russell... I'm 5'8 hopefully this will work out, I may have to go test ride the BMW Touring Bike...

Thanks Freebird, i'll try and find someone. I had a Corbin on a Goldwing a few years ago and it was so hard that i found it to be uncomfortable... (My wife says i'm just to picky, but if that was the case I would have never married her)...lol

Today I went to the local Honda dealer and tried out the Airhawk and it's not what i'm looking for either... I sat on an 1800 Goldwing and didn't care for it either... However, when I sat on the Goldwing Cruiser version (F-6 I Think) it was the most comfortable seat (stock or aftermarket)i've ever sat on (and i've owned 35 motorcycles in my lifetime) It may take some time to talk the Wife into it, but at least i can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train...lol

Edited by bwk

• 1 month later...

Seats are funny how long they take to brake in. I bought a set of Mustang seats and the wife's only took about 400 miles and she wouldn't give it up and it seems mine took about 2000 miles to brake in. one day when I got on it was like this feels different and got off and pushed on the seat and I could tell it was softer so for now I'm happy.