IGNORED

Antenna spark plug

Hello,

I recently purchased a new antenna for the left side (the side with the spark plug) of my 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture and I can't figure out which spark plug should fit into this antenna. Could someone please help me out? If you need more info, please let me know - I've searched and found nothing on it - even the diagrams for this motorcycle only shows the two antenna but shows nothing about the actual spark plug that fits into it.

Thanks beforehand,

Claud

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. There is certainly no spark plug in an antenna. I can only think that you are talking about the load coil. The CB antenna is on the left side and has a load coil. If you bought a stock antenna for a '99 and it doesn't have the load coil, then you bought the wrong one. The right antenna is for the AM/FM radio and does not have the coil.

If you're calling the black antenna load a 'spark plug' then you're getting close. The 99's had a different antenna assembly, and you may have bought one of the newer styles, and you're in luck. The new antenna base will interchange with the old, and since it only has a 18" co-ax to the CB radio it's easily replaceable. Just remove the trunk and plug it in.... Now if you just received the new style antenna and no base you may have a problem as the new won't fit on the old base. Why don't you post a pic of what you have.....??

If you're calling the black antenna load a 'spark plug' then you're getting close. The 99's had a different antenna assembly, and you may have bought one of the newer styles, and you're in luck. The new antenna base will interchange with the old, and since it only has a 18" co-ax to the CB radio it's easily replaceable. Just remove the trunk and plug it in.... Now if you just received the new style antenna and no base you may have a problem as the new won't fit on the old base. Why don't you post a pic of what you have.....??

The image/file uploading function isn't working for me within this website, so I uploaded some pictures to Photobucket and have included the link below. My question is pertaining to the "spark plug" that seems to be coming out of the bottom of the antenna base. I thought it was a spark plug antenna, but I'm not a mechanic so I was only observing what I saw. As I understand it this removes interference?? And as some of you have now advised me, that left antenna is for the CB (which I don't use anyway), so it's not important really, but I just want to get the new antenna (included in pictures) replaced with the old one that had broken off due to rust. My dilemma is that I can't figure out how to take that "spark plug" out (I've pulled, yanked, twisted and turned it in in a vise grip with the appropriate wrenches, but it's not budging it seems. Alternatively, I could purchase a "new" spark plug...I just don't know what type this is and I can't find information on it anywhere.

Thanks and I hope this clears things up...sorry I'm not up on all the proper lingo...again, I ride them but I don't do a lot of my own work on them...I believe in taking my things to professionals in their fields. :p I'm a software engineer...so I know code but I don't know motorcycle parts all that well...BUT I'm working on learning and doing more and more myself (because the mechanics charge 80 - 100/hr for labor. lol)

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/DayZAk/library/1999%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Venture%201300cc

Claud

OK, update....whatever this thing is, was sealed so tightly in the old antenna base that I just couldn't screw it out...I ended up using a hacksaw to remove the old black base and finally was able to unscrew it from the base/antenna....here's what it is. If someone knows what this piece is (it looked like a spark plug with just the bottom part exposed), I'd love to know so that I can buy a new one...but at least it's now free and I can use it to get my new antenna installed. Is this the "load coil" that was mentioned earlier? If so, would someone know where I could purchase a new one for a 1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture?

Thanks for all the responses!

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/DayZAk/library/1999%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Antenna%20Base%20coil%20thingie

Edited by Clauddvon

what you have is the sealed, prewired antenna base for the OEM CB antenna. You can see where the cable has been cut on the bottom.

I would suggest that you get an after market antenna. I put the Firestik II on my '86 and it worked great....I will do the same if my '99 ever fails.