IGNORED

Why the Goldwing?

az1103

A quick question to those of you who either have a 2nd gen and a Wing and those who have traded one for the other; What are the major differences, from your point of view and which do you feel is easier on you on a multi-day ride?

I ask because I have a 2007 RSMV in excellent condition and very low mileage but I'm looking at the 2015 Wing and liking what I see.... Test rides of the Wing are however , at least in my area, hard to come by and I am not even sure that just a 15 minute ride will tell me much...

So here I am seeking wise counsel from those with experience !

Yea,,,, good question,,, as many of our members who have headed that direction this should be really really good!! :icon_lurker:

Personally I have never ridden one of the 1800's either AZ, they sure do have a certain :yikes: appeal to them though dont they!! Cant wait to read what our family here has to say!!!:thumbsup:

Well hopefully to recent convertes will drop by here . M61amech (Steve) and Barrycuda. Both have recently got off RSV and went to a wing, as well as Brakepad. I know they are satisfied with the wing.

I find the wing much easier to handle, low speed handling is much better. The ride is stiffer on the wing, but it is more responsive and the power is awesome. I have Baker like wings on mine and it is much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. The stereo system is better and more advanced, no cassette player, no CD player just put music on a thumb drive and play it.

Al in all I am glad I made the switch.

Adding to what M61A1MECH said above: I must be honest and tell yuo that I miss my RSV, however I would not go back to riding one.

Please make note that my opinion is mine alone, and may not be the same from those who own wings.

Electronic ignition makes a big difference to me. No carbs to adjust. Power is enless. If there was a way to mount the pillow seat from the RSV to the wing I would be one happy camper..I have rode over 100k on mine wing now and I know in my heart I would never go back the the RSV.

The Ventures have a look all of thier own as well as the wing. The Ventures definately look more llike a motorcycle than the wing does, but looks isn't what makes the ride smoother for me. I feel the wing has very close to the same real estate for packing as does the RSV. The RSV however has more real estate for the passenger by far to me anyway. Maintenance on the RSV is a lot easier than tearing into a wing. Air filter is one exsample.. The wing you must tear apart... the RSV air filters are a lot easier to get to and a whole lot less time to change them. Changing front and rear brake pads are a lot easier (for me) on the RSV than they are on the wing. Changing oil & filter is about the same. Rear diffrerential oil, drive shaft and all is about the same.

What does this all boil down too?

The wing is a 1800cc the RSV is a 1300cc

The wing has reverse, the RSV doesnt.

The RSV has just about every other option the wing has however the wing does NOT have the cassette player (darn)..............

Edited by Eck

What about wind turbulence? I suspect the wing has less. Isn't the windshield curved back towards the rider enough to help keep the rider in the quiet zone?

I convinced the dealer in Miami to let me test ride a 2006 Wing that had 8k miles on it back in 2010. I loved that bike. It was even gold in color. The low center of gravity make is easy to handle at low speeds. Lots of torque, quiet, there just wasn't anything for me to complain about except the dealer was asking $17,900 for it. I wasn't that serious about riding at that time. I looked at lots of wings on line before I bought the 89VR last year. But, I liked the 2001 up style and they started about $10K. So, I ended up buying my VR that looks like new and had only 5,914 miles on it. If I get serious about riding, I can see moving up to a Wing in the future.

You have to kind of chuckle. The Harley dealers will spout that HD holds their resale value. Look at asking prices on used wings. I have yet to buy anything based on what resale might be. Because usually when Im done with it milage is so high few people are interested.

You have to kind of chuckle. The Harley dealers will spout that HD holds their resale value. Look at asking prices on used wings. I have yet to buy anything based on what resale might be. Because usually when Im done with it milage is so high few people are interested.

The HD takes a different kind of customer, one who is addicted to endless butt massage vibration ;-)

I sold my 99 RSV last fall and bought a 07 Goldwing with ABS brakes. The power and low end torque of the Goldwing is outstanding. The brakes and low speed handling are superior to the RSV. The low center of gravity makes the wing handle like a sport bike. The reason I made the change was because of the RSV being so top heavy and my arthritic knees. I have to say the RSV was more comfortable on a long ride than the Goldwing.

I bought an '03 GL1800 Wing a few years ago and sold my RSMV. The Wing I had, had the Traxxion suspension front and rear plus a performance exhaust system. That thing handled like a sport bike. Loved the smooth power and it pulled our Lees-ur Lite tent trailer effortlessly. Unfortunately it had an alternator drive gear problem that required the engine to be pulled plus it felt like a car on 2 wheels to drive. Nothing wrong with that but I really wanted the look and feel of a "motorcycle" and loved the Victory XCT. I'd have one again maybe when i get tired of my Victory (which will be a day after never LOL).

I spent a fair amount of time on a GL1800 a few years back during the winter. I enjoyed the power/torque of the engine and also all the goodies that were packed on it. Now, this was when I was riding a UJM daily, and was deciding that I needed a touring bike so the lovely Barbie and I could ride together and go some places. The following spring, I began researching and looking in earnest. The only thing that bothered me about the Wing was the width of the riding position and the cost of admission. Even with my 34" inseam, it felt just really wide.

My research brought me to the VR, and the more I read about it, the more I wanted to sit on one/ride one to see how it felt. Craigslist to the rescue. I found a couple locally, rode one that was pretty clapped out, but realized that I liked it a lot. A couple of weeks later I found mine in Michigan and drove up and got it the next day.

Would I buy a Wing any time in the future? Probably not. I am pleased that I got a great touring bike that fits me well for 25% of the cost of the Wings I might have bought. At 65 I still like to ride at times in a spirited manner, and the VR handles that nicely. Then again, so does the FJR.

After putting 120,000 miles on my RSV, I recently bought a 2015 Goldwing.

Here are my observations.

What is better about the Venture:

Comfort. Even though I already have become accustomed to the Wing riding position, I still think the size and riding position of the Venture is more comfortable. But at a cost to handling I think.

Styling. Although a very personal thing... I think the Venture has a more classic motorcycle look which I like.

What is better about the GoldWing:

Power. I always felt the Venture was a pretty powerful bike... but no comparison to the Goldwing. That engine is a rocket if you need it to be. I also like that it is less sensitive to RPM range. With the Venture, if I entered a turn in too high gear... I felt like the bike was struggling. But the Wing... just twist the throttle. Have yet to bog it down. Way more forgiving on being in proper gear.

Handling. BIG difference. The Goldwing feels hundreds of pounds lighter. It is easier to handle in parking lots, lighter off side stand. All because of lower COG. Handling in the twisties is extremely better than the Venture. I can run twisties at a faster pace and with way more confidence than I ever could with Venture.

ABS brakes are awesome. Had to brake hard several times. Nice to not worry about locking wheels.

Sound system is better IMHO.

NAVI system is somewhat of a joke if you are used to a real GPS unit like a ZUMO... HOWEVER... the integrated XM weather I like a lot. Never thought I would... but I'll probably sign up for XM weather after trail expires.

Storage is comparable. What fit in my venture side bags fit into the wing. Trunk seems more roomy. We don't put helmets in trunk, but can more easily squeeze jackets and chaps in the trunk.

MPG so far is about the same. Was getting 40mpg with the Venture just 2-up. Getting about same with the Goldwing. Not sure about towing MPG yet. One thing that is nice is that the Goldwing does have a greater range. It has a 6.6 gallon tank. At one point I stretched it and put in 6.3 gallons. Unlike the Venture... you can actually use all the Wing gas tank.

In short... I have no regrets going from the RSV to a Wing. Now if I could just get mine fixed or replaced after my head on with propane truck. :(

The HD takes a different kind of customer, one who is addicted to endless butt massage vibration ;-)

I can tell you haven't rode a Harley lately. I've also owned three Honda Goldwings an 86,91 and a 95. Never got use too the setting position. Big heavy bikes ware you out around town with a passenger on road fine for trips with extended pegs.

Edited by WildBill1

I've never owned a Harley but have gone to their demo days almost every year since the late 90's. Mostly rode the Ultra Glides but have also rode the Dyna and my son has a 1200 Sportster which I've ridden several times. Never felt vibration once other than when stopped there is some in the handle bars.

Seems like the bike comparisons I've read the writer says things like the Goldwing is so quiet and smooth that it doesn't have enough character. It's boring. So much for modern motorcycle engineering. 1930's technology with minimal updates seems to be the preference! Ha!

I haven't ridden a Gen II yet and the above comment was meant for you know what bike. I would like to ride a Gen II and see if I like the cruiser seating position. I've never had a bike with a cruiser seating position. Seems to me a back rest would be mandatory with that position.

I can tell you haven't rode a Harley lately. I've also owned three Honda Goldwings an 86,91 and a 95. Never got use too the setting position. Big heavy bikes ware you out around town with a passenger on road fine for trips with extended pegs.

Actually , we did. We rode both versions of the Ultra Limited. We liked the look, we hated the ride. The short version shook the worst. I think maybe they sacrificed the mounts for the height.

The wife, who loves long rides better than I do, said she couldn't take more than a couple of hours of that kind of vibration. She said that in front of the salesman who happily announced that his wife had ridden on his just once right after he got it and would never get on it again which was just fine with him....

Then what's the point of a touring bike , I asked?

Seems like the bike comparisons I've read the writer says things like the Goldwing is so quiet and smooth that it doesn't have enough character. It's boring. So much for modern motorcycle engineering. 1930's technology with minimal updates seems to be the preference! Ha!

I haven't ridden a Gen II yet and the above comment was meant for you know what bike. I would like to ride a Gen II and see if I like the cruiser seating position. I've never had a bike with a cruiser seating position. Seems to me a back rest would be mandatory with that position.

We have taken ours from Huntington Beach to Port Angeles in Washington state and back on a ten day trip and my back was feeling great! And so was my butt. Which was one of my worries about the Wing, would the position be as good as the RSV....I haven't ridden a bike with pegs in a long time. Of course, one could always mount floor-boards on the Wing , I suppose.

In fact the long trip comfort of the RSV is one of the reasons it would be hard to part with. So hard, that I have even considered keeping it and getting a Wing too....But I really can't justify two huge bikes of the same type sitting in the garage. One would end up unused.

The one thing that even makes me think of the Wing as an option (besides the looks) is the fact that I am pushing 71 and the high CG of the RSV may get tough to live with. I am lucky that my wife is tiny and loves riding. But she is spoiled to the comfort of the RSV !

Edited by az1103

Now if I could just get mine fixed or replaced after my head on with propane truck. :(

I gather from the incident description that you had no airbag. Do you think that may have come in handy? Personally, the idea kind of worries me, I tend to equate it with an ejection seat !

I personally think an airbag on a motorcycle is a joke. That is why I didn't pay extra for it. Plus, it seems half the maintenance is more complex because of it. As I understand, the purpose of the airbag is to launch you away from the bike on a frontal impact. I'm here to tell you.... I was launched just fine without it!

I gather from the incident description that you had no airbag. Do you think that may have come in handy? Personally, the idea kind of worries me, I tend to equate it with an ejection seat !

Honda's motorcycles are just like Honda's cars; unsexy. But Honda is fine with that. What their focus is, and has always been is very high quality. Take a look at a 2015 Honda Accord. Very good looking car on the outside, but very institutional on the inside. But, and this is the "but" that Honda gets off on, that sucker will last and last and last until you get tired of driving it. The Goldwing is in the same Honda vein. Good looking bike, some of it is kinda institutional looking (dash and controls), but that bike is built to run forever, and with a fine precision that most bikes aren't. That is simply Honda's MO. There is a reason I have a Honda self propelled mower, a Honda generator, a Honda pressure sprayer, and a Honda tiller. Their stuff is high precision, high quality, starts everytime. But sexy? Very seldom. Honda Goldwings have been the gold standard for a long time because of their quality. They aren't WOW looking bikes, and there are so many of them on the road, that to me that makes them kinda common and bland. However, I will say, the 40th Anniversary Edition Red/Black one with all of the blacked out stuff and two tone paint like Gary's bike is certainly getting close to "sexy" for Honda. LOL. I dig that look. So, if you're the type person that totally gets off on your bike being a precision machine that does everything very well pretty much all of the time, and you don't mind riding a bike that a bazillion other people have, then the Goldwing should be right in your crosshairs. It's a phenominal bike. I love the GW. It doesn't fit my 36" inseam. The front of my knees rub against the fairing and that drives me nuts. So, thats' the main reason one isn't in my future.

The draw of the Venture for me first of all, is, it has the same high quality built into it that the Goldwing has. Yamaha is like Honda in that they really focus strong on quality first. This is evidenced by the recent Consumer Reports study that ranked Yamaha as the #1 ranked brand for motorcycle quality. I have had 6 knee surgeries, so the feet forward position helps me quite a bit with comfort. The bike is narrower than the Goldwing, so when I stretch my feet out on the highway pegs, I don't feel like my hips are pushing their limits on how wide I can spread my legs like the GW with it's wide fairing. But, I would say the the single main thing I like about a Venture, or the RSTD that I ride is; nobody really knows what you're riding. You can see it in peoples eyes when you tell them what you're riding, that they really don't know. They'll usually nod their heads like they kmow, but they really don't. They have no clue that the bike is a V4 either. And that turns me on because it takes me out of the sea of sameness that Harley riders, and GW riders are in. It's kind of an exclusive club that only a few really "get". LOL. That's why I kinda like Victorys too. Uncommon stuff that are out of the norm of what everybody and their grandmothers are riding. I wish they would water cool them. I would bite on that. As for me, I'm gonna wait and see of those spy photos turn up anything in the fall before I pull the trigger on my next bike purchase.

Actually , we did. We rode both versions of the Ultra Limited. We liked the look, we hated the ride. The short version shook the worst. I think maybe they sacrificed the mounts for the height.

The wife, who loves long rides better than I do, said she couldn't take more than a couple of hours of that kind of vibration. She said that in front of the salesman who happily announced that his wife had ridden on his just once right after he got it and would never get on it again which was just fine with him....

Then what's the point of a touring bike , I asked?

I'm riding an 08 S/E Ultra Classic no seat vibration at all handle bars a little when setting still wife loves it. 110cu of raw stomping get away quick power.