IGNORED

Newbie here, a few questions before upcoming trip

Greetings all, new member here. Picking up my 2003 Venture Royal star our tomorrow. Bike has 30k miles, in decent shape.

Im leaving on a 2k mile trip in 2 days, and am going through things quickly on the bike tomorrow before leaving.

Oil change - straightforward

Final drive - is it just like the old goldwings i've had? drain, replace drain plug, and fill until it starts coming out of the fill hole?

Other than that, brakes are good, brand new rear tire, going to pull and lube the splines when I get back.

Will check coolant level tomorrow. Anything else I should look at?

Thanks! Excited to be a member!

Yes, final drive is the same as what you are accustomed to. Oil change is straight forward EXCEPT...don't overfill. If you just put in the amount that Yamaha calls for, you will overfill it. You need to add oil until it is just a little over half way in the site glass with the bike in the upright position, NOT on the side stand.

I am assuming since you are tackling a 2K mile ride you are an experienced rider, however if you have not ridden the Venture much be careful with the slow speed maneuvers until you get the feeling for the bike they are a little top heavy.

Make sure you take along:

A charged up cell phone and a charger.

Spare / extra fuses for the bike

A spare head light bulb

Rain Gear

Check for stock tool pouch (Should be in the left side bag)

Tire plugs/ plug tools and an air pump (just for emergency). There is a 12 volt plug on left side of inner fairing (behind clutch lever) for the air pump, or hook directly to battery is what I would do.

Cash /ATM card.

And most importantly, please tell someone what routes you are taking and where you are headed in case something happens they know where to look for you.

I have read way too many times where someone gets on their bike (solo) and heads off on a trip and never made it due to running off the road down over an embankment only to be found days later..

Check that clutch and brake fluid for color. If it is sort of a brownish tink to it , think about a fluch and change with DOT4 fluid. I took a trip on my RSV and the rear brakes faded while following a car thru the mountians in NC. Once it colled off 10 min was fine rest of trip. But was scary to say the least.

On tire press you want to look at the tires and not the manual for pressures. If the max is say 42 you probably want to run 40 min solo with gear, maybe up to the max. I usually stay 1lb under fully loaded up gear and wife.

Freebird, thanks for the confirmation on the final drive.

Yea, the carb sync is on the list, however dont have the tool yet so unfortunately that will need to wait until i return

Etcswjoe - thanks for your concern, yes lots of experience (although you can never have enough) and ridden alot of old goldwings so im used to a heavier bike. However no bike is the same, so the test ride was fun, but one I got the feel for having my feet so far forward i was good to go! P.S. Thank you for your service.

ECK - thanks for the checklist - always good to check my supplies.

djh3 - fluid is nice and clear, so im good to go! I may be replacing the front tire before i go, depending on if one is in stock around here.

Any recommendation on the front tire? Also, im used to my GW having a centerstand. How are you all propping this bike up to do FD changes/oil checks/etc? Is it ok to put on of those lifts underneath this bike? (not a table list, a jack lift for MC like this one) http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950190000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

E3's have been a choice of a lot of the riders for the tires but it's a lot of personal preference.

Rivco has had a center stand you can add. Most use a MC jack. Because of potential damage to components underneath, there is a jack adapter made by Carbon One.

Print and carry the VR list with you. If you have a problem, there is likely someone not to far away that can give you a hand or might have a sync tool to do it on your trip.

Dave

That jack should work fine. I have the yellow alum one from Sears. You will have to make or buy some adapter rails to go under it.

The michelin Commander 2 is a good front tire. It will be a 130x90 which is a tick taller and slightly narrower. But it helps on the slower rnd with handeling, and as far as I can tell no adverse effects at higher speeds. Very good milage out of them.

I got to take a closer look at the front tire (picked up the bike today) and it actually looks like its got about 3-k left in it, so ill replace it when i get back. Oil/filter change and final drive drain and refill complete! Looking good to go!