IGNORED

32mm Venture carbs and cams swap

Greetings to all,

I know that this is an old topic but it is something that I would like to do after having read the procedure posted by Lynn Nicholls. My only question(for now) is how will the "hotter" Venture cams affect the ignition timing set-up. I have a 1999 RSTC with the Bigfoot airbox/carb mod. I didn't realize too much of a performance increase from this mod and the intake roar is horrendous, at 70mhp I can't even hear my stock exhaust. will I need to partially de-mod my airbox for the new carbs? I'd like to get back to around my original 40-42 mpg. The post- Bigfoot mpg's are mid to low 30's with 22.5 pilot and 120 main jets. Thanks!

Stock pilots on the 32's are #15, if you went to a 17.5 pilot you'd have great off idle response and you'd pick up your MPG. Also some opened up exhaust would help that setup breathe better.

Thanks for the tip on the pilot jets Ace. I have been reluctant to modify the exhaust because I don't buy into the "Loud pipes save lives" BS. The danger to us riders is primarily from the front, and those people usually have the windows up, AC on, radio on, plus cell phones now to distract their driving. The only thing that Loud Pipes do is to piss off the motorists beside and behind you. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice mellow rumble but I'd hate to drill out my mufflers and then realize that I hate the way that they sound, and then have to replace them.

No problem, all I was saying is that the motor will perform better with a free-er flowing exhaust. I believe your pilots are way too fat and installing smaller jets will wake up the beast as well as improve your mileage.

Thanks for the tip on the pilot jets Ace. I have been reluctant to modify the exhaust because I don't buy into the "Loud pipes save lives" BS. The danger to us riders is primarily from the front, and those people usually have the windows up, AC on, radio on, plus cell phones now to distract their driving. The only thing that Loud Pipes do is to piss off the motorists beside and behind you. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice mellow rumble but I'd hate to drill out my mufflers and then realize that I hate the way that they sound, and then have to replace them.

:thumbsup2:

• 4 weeks later...
I am still baffled as to why the v max gets FI and there is nobody that has put it on a RSV that I have seen.

You could be first and report back? Price the parts, you won't be baffled for long. Besides Injectors, throttle bodies, TPS etc You need a place to install O2 Sensor(s), MAF sensor at a minimum. The bike will also need a custom tuneable ECU and you will need to have a feedback loop so you can create fuel maps till you find one that works. If I had to Venture a guess, $5k not including all the custom labor, machining,mods. You can buy a bike with FI (just not a venture) cheaper than you can convert one. If you could score a salvage Vmax 1700 that might be one way to get everything you need in one shot, but my guess for one that runs you'll pay at least 5K. I think Dingy measured one up and dimensionally its not a straight swap even if you used the complete engine. If you follow his build threads, its alot of work what he is doing and he is sticking with carbs.

So as not to hijack the OP's thread completely, try to PM Dingy about those adapters. He may have a line. Another option would be if you could swap an entire motor from either a 2nd genVenture or an 05 and newer tour deluxe. Not sure if those will swap clean into the previous Royal Star. That gets you to 98 HP (and balance shafts)which is probably the best you can do.

Nope Not me. If Im going 5K or more in, this carb dinasour is going and ther will be a Victory in my garage. I just figured with the V-max being injected for years that stuff would all pretty much swap over. Oh well just an idea.