IGNORED

1999 royal star venture charging system

after going through that very usefull step-by-step test of the RR and Stator here's what i got:

RR diodes all test good.

Winding resistance good and equal on all three

winding voltage good on all three (27vac at idle and up to 75 when i rev it, dep on how high i rev. as long as i hold the throttle steady the voltage stays pretty stable.)

when i plug it all back together and reconnect battery ground and start it i get 13.9vdc initially, but it fluctuates wildly downward even to below battery charge voltage. when i check ac voltage across the windings with the RR plugged in i, of course get a lower ac voltage but it's stable. (about 10vac)

My thinking is that it's a bad RR with good diodes. Does that sound right to you guys?

btw this is my first day on the forum and there's a ton of useful info here

thanks, MileHi

Hmmmmm

First off welcome to the nut house.

Did you have the battery load tested?

With a fully charged battery, what is the battery voltage with the bike running.

First thought is bad RR, But the comment you made about the stator voltage dropping so far while running sounds more like a bad battery or something on the bike pulling a high amp draw, like a pinched wire or defective accessory.

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to be a while before I could get back to it. It was the RR. Right now I'm running on one from an 04 vstar and want to order a reliable replacement. Any suggestions on brand and source? (Took her for a test ride Sunday and got back 3 hours later and used up the good part of a tank of gas. I've owned a wing and two ventures. This is the sweetest ride I've ever been on)