IGNORED

96 RSA model tranny issue

I post before about the trans on my old bike jumping out of first.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?92546-96-RSA-tranny Well now the bike is a certified 4 speed. It will not stay or motivate at all in first, I am assuming the "dog" or "pawl" mentioned before is the issue.

Any ideas before I tear this apart again? What is the most like parts I will need to repair the shifting issue? Is there an adjustment I should try first ?

• 2 weeks later...
I post before about the trans on my old bike jumping out of first.http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?92546-96-RSA-tranny Well now the bike is a certified 4 speed. It will not stay or motivate at all in first, I am assuming the "dog" or "pawl" mentioned before is the issue.

Any ideas before I tear this apart again? What is the most like parts I will need to repair the shifting issue? Is there an adjustment I should try first ?

Anyone? This must be the first post ever without a response

There is no adjustment.

You'll need to tear it down and replace any broken/worn/bent parts. No way to be certain what you need without first inspecting it.

Before you do, pull the clutch cover and have a look at the shift sector and stopper arm. I just repaired a Road Star that was jumping out of gear. It turns out the reason was the wheel of the stopper arm was down off the cam so it wasn't dropping cleanly into position. Your symptoms sound a bit different though.

The reason you are getting very few responses is since the 2nd gear issue was fixed on the early 1st gens, there have been very few transmission related problems on these bikes. The other problem has been the pins coming out of the end of the shift drum and with the year of your bike, I don't think that should be an issue.

As Micarl suggested, pull the side cover and make sure all the external shift mechanism is working properly. The only problem I have had with mine after going to the later trans is the spring that holds the detent in place had broken.

Randy