IGNORED

New rear tire for 98 yamaha royal star

I am debating on Michelin commander II or Dunlap d404 at the moment. It currently had a Bridgestone on. What would be the better tire to put on.

Between those two tires, either will be much better than the Bridgestone.

Motorcycle Superstore has the Dunlop E-II rear in your size (MV85-15) on sale for $100.00 including free shipping.

Just put one on my RSV and only have a few miles on it but what a difference over the D-404.

Will never put a D-404 on mine again since the best I've never done better than 6200 miles out of one.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/6030/i/dunlop-491-elite-ii-touring-white-letter-rear-tire

I too purchased an E2 for my RSTD. Wow! Had no idea a tire could make that much difference. When I bought my 2008 it had a D404 on it. So when it wore out, I bought another. It lasted 5200 miles. That's it. Then I put another D404 on it. It lasted just over 6000. We'll see how the E2 wears, but from what I have read 10K miles is not out of the question. The part I am still wondering about it is, does it really handle better than with the D404? Sure feels like it, but I am not racer either. Just general feel of the bike isn't as squirrely. I have put the leveling links (raised) the back end and put the Stratoliner front wheel / tire on it. That helped low speed handling tremendously. I have the Werks rear shock on it and have progressives for the front springs but haven't installed yet. Still have a D404 on the front, but have an E3 to replace it. Noticed dry rot cracks in the current front tire.

• 3 weeks later...

My '99 RSTC came with D404 whitewalls. The rear was worn enough to replace and since I didn't care for the whitewall look, I replaced them both with Pirelli 66 Routes. WOW! The bike handles like it lost 200lbs. Awesome tires, quiet, smooth, good traction in the wet, and cheaper than the Dunlops.