IGNORED

Free products - something to think about

Eck

I read this post on another site and thought I would share it here in hopes it may help someone before it's too late -- food for thought..

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you were given a free product for your wing. Maybe you received it as part of a promotion, or you won a raffle at a motorcycle gathering. Even though you have to modify your wing.to accommodate the product, it is a piece of cake to install. However, on your first trip with the new product, it fails. Given such a premature failure you contact the manufacturer only to learn they do not offer warranties on products that they provided "free of charge". Sooo, now you have a product that doesn't work and is not warranted, and you have permanent scars (maybe holes in the fairing, etc.) to your valuable motorcycle.

This very thing happened to me and, without pointing fingers, I wanted to provide a heads-up so that all might think of such an occurrence should this happens to them.

This would really upset me if I drilled holes or modified any part on my bike only to find out the "free" item doesn't work, then find out the manufacturer don't offer a warrantee on that free item..

Or you could just leave the free part in place, and have everybody jealous that you have a 'wiggle-diggle' that they don't have. Might be a real conversation starter,,, not that you need a conversation starter,,, but it might be something for others.

I read this post on another site and thought I would share it here in hopes it may help someone before it's too late -- food for thought..

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you were given a free product for your wing. Maybe you received it as part of a promotion, or you won a raffle at a motorcycle gathering. Even though you have to modify your wing.to accommodate the product, it is a piece of cake to install. However, on your first trip with the new product, it fails. Given such a premature failure you contact the manufacturer only to learn they do not offer warranties on products that they provided "free of charge". Sooo, now you have a product that doesn't work and is not warranted, and you have permanent scars (maybe holes in the fairing, etc.) to your valuable motorcycle.

This very thing happened to me and, without pointing fingers, I wanted to provide a heads-up so that all might think of such an occurrence should this happens to them.

This would really upset me if I drilled holes or modified any part on my bike only to find out the "free" item doesn't work, then find out the manufacturer don't offer a warrantee on that free item..

Man brother,, THAT is something that has never occurred to me - you make a GREAT point!! If I had a great big beautiful touring bike with thousands of dollars wrapped up in it like a lot of folks do - I would DEFINITELY call the promoter and explain the situation about it and ask about solutions to the whole thing.. Fact is though,, I studied Business Law in college and, if memory serves me correctly, the only time you have legal warranty claim status is if "consideration" (money) is exchanged.. It is possible that some companies use this in helping figure out what product is worth investing more into RnD than they already have.. Maybe the very reason for why they do the "free testing - keep the product" routine..

Sorry that happened to ya my friend and THANK YOU for the advice!!!

PS - please read below..

It would only bother me terribly if the holes or modifications were visible and unsightly.

Or you could go into @cowpuc mode and just put a sticker over it.:confused24:

Sneaky rascal has my number!! In that I do not happen to have one of those gorgeous new scoots AND seems how Tweeks LOVES to have her back scratched with new apparatie and has LOTS of space for more stickers to cover any holes I may drill in her,,,,,,,, I wonder how I get on the "list" to test products :thumbsup::big-grin-emoticon:

Cowpuc, this didn't happen to me... I only posted what I found on another site that happened to someone I do not know.

Was just passing on the thought (or warning) to all of us here.

Cowpuc, this didn't happen to me... I only posted what I found on another site that happened to someone I do not know.

Was just passing on the thought (or warning) to all of us here.

dahhhhhhhh,, what a dork wad I be,, :doh::doh:,, totally misread your post - sorry bout that Eckster!!! THANK YOU for sharing it anyway - it makes a VERY good point!!:happy34::backinmyday:

Maybe, Just Maybe, they have to give their stuff away because they are a P.O.S.?

A product is a product is a product and if you purchase it, win it or it is given to you as a gift, the warranty should still be in tact.

A reliable, upstanding company should stand behind their products or word will get around and consumers may simply stop making purchases from them.

Good thing there were no holes drilled.

I would leave it in place and when anyone asked what it does I would reply " oh, nothing". Should get them wondering. I would also advise the manufacturer that I was advertising their "nothing" product and I was such a good guy i would continue advertising it absolutely free as long as I had it. This tactic got me a new watch to replace a faulty one they had previously refused to replace.

As a general rule of thumb for me anywho. Anything I add or plan too, I stay as far away from altering the bike-car-truck whatever. Maybe this comes from trading vehicles in to much when I was a GI and burned thru cars every couple years. I will make a bracket/mount to adapt said product to my application, but try to leave the vehicle unmolested.