IGNORED

05 RSTD dead ignition

while riding yesterday (5/16/15) the bike cutout a a stop sign. When restarting, it acted funny - electrically - dash went dead, then came back and started ok. No further problems yesterday.

This morning, turned ignition key, and when I hit the starter button, all went dead. No lights, no nothing. Stayed dead.

Battery reads 12.5+v at battery, and at 30A fuse (L rear under cover). Lifted the tank, and got 12.5+v on main red wire at connector (pinkish one) but nothing on the brown wire next to it.

Getting under keyswitch looks to be daunting (so many covers...) but I'm suspecting that is the culprit, since nothing is live beyond it.

I've read where the keyswitch has been a problem on some models. Is this one?

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning, but he doesn't have a great service reputation....

Any thoughts form you folks??

Thanks,

Clean all your connections on the battery and where the wires go to (Negative to the frame and engine and the power to the solenoid) Make sure they are nice and tight, I have seen a loose battery connection do the exact same thing you are describing.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you find the problem? I'm having the same problem right now. My engine will turn over with the freshly charged battery but not start. I have a thread on here, apparently in the wrong place, titled "Stator or what". I would certainly be interest in knowing what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...
while riding yesterday (5/16/15) the bike cutout a a stop sign. When restarting, it acted funny - electrically - dash went dead, then came back and started ok. No further problems yesterday.

This morning, turned ignition key, and when I hit the starter button, all went dead. No lights, no nothing. Stayed dead.

Battery reads 12.5+v at battery, and at 30A fuse (L rear under cover). Lifted the tank, and got 12.5+v on main red wire at connector (pinkish one) but nothing on the brown wire next to it.

Getting under keyswitch looks to be daunting (so many covers...) but I'm suspecting that is the culprit, since nothing is live beyond it.

I've read where the keyswitch has been a problem on some models. Is this one?

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning, but he doesn't have a great service reputation....

Any thoughts form you folks??

Thanks,

If you have not got the problem sorted out or can give me an idea of what you have found maybe I can help you out.

Guest erock1

I had the exact problem two weeks ago. Battery died, with no warning. Same symptoms. Replaced battery, and all is well now..........

If you have not got the problem sorted out or can give me an idea of what you have found maybe I can help you out.

HAD it hauled in to a shop I was told about (Hog Wild, W Sprfd MA). Turns out there was a broke wire under the tank that shorted, killed the battery. New battery, wire soldered and taped, all is well.

I think I got lucky...