IGNORED

What is this and why is it leaking,..?

Near the end of last riding season I was seeing a little antifreeze leaking coming from behind the left side engine covers. So I an getting it ready for this season and the leak seems to be coming from a housing nestled between the "V" of the motor. I just don't know what it is,..

Here is a pic of where it is leaking:20150331_194504 w arrow.jpg

So what is this thing, what does it do, and how hard is ot to get out and replace the gaskets?

Just want to see what I am geting into before tearing it apart.

Thanks!

It is part of the cooling system, everyone calls it the Twinkie, the parts catalog calls it a cover, there is an upper and lower cover with gaskets in between them and the block.

Here is a link that shows the parts involved. Not sure how you get it out, never had to do that on either of my two Royals.

Items 35, 36, 37, 41.

http://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/parts-catalog/parts/street-mcy?ls=Street&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/XVZ13ATJ_-_1997/RADIATOR_HOSE/XVZ13ATJ_(1997_MOTORCYCLE)/RADIATOR_HOSE_(XVZ13ATJ_-_1997)

Thanks Steve, Calling it a Twinkie makes sense to me! I did see that diagram yesterday and looks like I can get the gaskets.

Still wondering what it does, and if it comes out of there without removing the Carbs. Planning on working on it on Saturday, so just seeing what I am getting into.

Thanks again,..

Thanks Steve, Calling it a Twinkie makes sense to me! I did see that diagram yesterday and looks like I can get the gaskets.

Still wondering what it does, and if it comes out of there without removing the Carbs. Planning on working on it on Saturday, so just seeing what I am getting into.

Thanks again,..

Pretty sure it's a heat exchanger between the coolant and the oil... May keep the oil temp down a bit?? Or get the oil to flow quicker on cold mornings?? Or???

Yup that makes sends Condor, Thanks,

So for now I decided, it is 62 deg and sunny, it is barely leaking, so we said screw it, put it back together and got in our first ride of the season. We got 125 miles in this evening with 3 other couples and thier bikes. Great first ride.

!

ill watch it and see if it gets any worse.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

Well it leaks when cool sitting in the garage, Enough that I am going to fix it this week. The forecast looks cool and rainy for the week so now is a good time to do it. Hope to start on it tomorrow.

My quesotin is can this be replaced without removing the Carbs? That would save a ton of dis-assembly, It looks tight but may be able to be done.

Thanks!,..

• 10 months later...

So, Almost a Year Later, I decided to fix the leak, Drove it all last summer with no issues, just kept an eye on the coolant level.

I had to tear into it to answer my own questions, it happens, so if anyone else needs to reseal the Heat Exchanger here ya go.

Sorry, no pics.

No, you can not remove the Twinkie with out removing the Carbs. I tried, but to no avail, just make it easy on yourself, disassemble the bike and enough to have the carbs removed. You dont have to take the carb boots off.

There is a Oil flow Tube that runs up into the heat exchanger and down into the motor, you have to be able to lift up the heat exchanger high enough to clear that tube. It simply pops in and out.

Once out it is easy enough to clean and replace both top cover and bottom unit gaskets.

Getting some other things done on the bike along the way getting it ready for Spring,..

Later..

Unusual that nobody had any imput.

Maybe no one has ever had to remove the twinkies?

I agree, when this started leaking I did all kinds of searches to see how it was done, and found nothing. Seems that I was the first,..

I finished up the job today, After I removed the twinkie I was doing some cleaning up in that area, it is almost impossible not to spill Antifreeze down the Oil Gap. So today I drained, flushed, and filled the oil a few times to clear out any antifreeze, then filled it with new Syhtnetic. I plan on doing another oil change in about 500 miles or so just to be safe.

So the bike is back together and running, Done with that project, now on to a rear end Re Gear, new front tire, windshield and other misc maintenance,..

So, Almost a Year Later, I decided to fix the leak, Drove it all last summer with no issues, just kept an eye on the coolant level.

I had to tear into it to answer my own questions, it happens, so if anyone else needs to reseal the Heat Exchanger here ya go.

Sorry, no pics.

No, you can not remove the Twinkie with out removing the Carbs. I tried, but to no avail, just make it easy on yourself, disassemble the bike and enough to have the carbs removed. You dont have to take the carb boots off.

There is a Oil flow Tube that runs up into the heat exchanger and down into the motor, you have to be able to lift up the heat exchanger high enough to clear that tube. It simply pops in and out.

Once out it is easy enough to clean and replace both top cover and bottom unit gaskets.

Getting some other things done on the bike along the way getting it ready for Spring,..

Later..

I finished up the job today, After I removed the twinkie I was doing some cleaning up in that area, it is almost impossible not to spill Antifreeze down the Oil Gap. So today I drained, flushed, and filled the oil a few times to clear out any antifreeze, then filled it with new Syhtnetic. I plan on doing another oil change in about 500 miles or so just to be safe.

So the bike is back together and running, Done with that project, now on to a rear end Re Gear, new front tire, windshield and other misc maintenance,..

AWESOME Darrin - thank you for the write up!!:thumbsup: @Freebird, @Eck,, or @anybodywiththepowertodothis,,,, wonder if Darrin's write-up could be moved to the read only tech section? May help one of lop eared varmints down the road..:97:

Near the end of last riding season I was seeing a little antifreeze leaking coming from behind the left side engine covers. So I an getting it ready for this season and the leak seems to be coming from a housing nestled between the "V" of the motor. I just don't know what it is,..

Here is a pic of where it is leaking:[ATTACH=CONFIG]98474[/ATTACH]

So what is this thing, what does it do, and how hard is ot to get out and replace the gaskets?

Just want to see what I am geting into before tearing it apart.

Thanks!

Sorry, no pics.

Later..

Sorry bout the double post,, thinking all three parts should be included in the tech library - IMHO and if you folks agree?

Thanks Puc, I wish I would have taken the time to do some pics of this process, but I was more concerned and nervous about getting it done correctly since It was all new territory for me.

Just hope it helps someone else out.