IGNORED

The 997 pound bike that handles better than a 557 pound Sports Tour....

I downloaded a photo of the Star Venture TC as my wall paper and that bike has a squad floorboard on it instead of the curved floorboards mine has, I wonder if those first demo bikes being pre production models had those square floorboards which would be larger and would likely drag the ground sooner.

I have yet to drag a floorboard with my Star Venture Transcontinental.

I have dragged mine ONCE, but it was a TEST. I wanted to find out how far I had to go before I scraped. Let me say it was beyond MY comfort level!! Won’t be cornering THAT hard for sure

Puc...OMG! This 997 (964 corrected, lol) pound behemoth, is freakin' CRAZY! I am quite stunned.

I went up to the Hockley Valley around 4:15 am this morning, because I have never ridden Charlotte in the dark. I wanted to see the dash, the low beams, high beams...and was very interested...(never had a bike with low zone running lights) to see how the running lights illuminated the night life. They were simply spectacular...they light up 45 degrees right out from the Shark's Head, to about 50 feet...and then the lo/high beams take over. I'll always have them running in the PM.

BUT...but..THAT was the least of it. I get up to roadways, that my friends and I terrorize on our Sport Tours...and I turned left onto the road from Highway 10...and prepared myself with Char-Burger...by doing wallow and s-moves on a strait away. Felt solid...felt good. I then entered my first S-Back...with a lead in of 35 degrees...and then outbound at 25 degrees...and she stayed where I put her at about 35 MPH. Ok....I got a little more aggressive...and I won't bore you...but only to say, that by the end of my coming out of the Sport's Tour Sunday Circuit...I was almost knee scraping at curves at 50 MPH...and YET...I did not ever hear a scrape on the floor boards. This bike is so...svelte around corners...PUC...she floats around them...and does not squat down on her forks or back end. I don't need another bike...and am seriously thinking about that. The Star Venture Trans Continental, will tear as much *ss, as you require...and then...then...take you out to Vancouver, for a bowl of Clam Chowder.

Puc.....this is one H*LL of a bike...a solid, non-flexing frame, a kick *ss 113 cubic inches of torque pie,...and in Sport Mode..of which I ran this morning.....well..."I don't need no stinkin' Sports Tour".... :)

You should see how the night lights up with the addition of the accessory LED lights added. 6 lights on the front makes for some great illumination.

No issues with dragging pegs? I read a review involving the Harley Road Glide and the Indian Road Master and it claimed that the pegs drug ground first on the Yamaha. I know I never had a problem dragging pegs, but I one time got my toes stuck between the road and the foot peg. That was a scary AND painful lesson! Heres a link for the article for reference

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/06/2018-harley-road-glide-ultra-vs-indian-roadmaster-vs-yamaha-star-venture-tc-comparo-review/

No...actually, was waiting for it...but I think that I didn't need to 'English' it over to that very point of scraping. The bike held so beautifully in the heart of the S-back...with no settling or hunching of the suspension system. This bike is simply amazing...(and I guess the tires they chose plays a big part in my narrative as well...), that where ever you literally point the lean....and with your hips only to 'English' it...the bike without complaint, follows your lead. Seriously, you are a team, on the SVTC!

I am so very glad...that I saw the reveal last October...and made a move after that. This bike, simply; rocks...in (are you Yamaha guys smiling...?) SPORT mode...as well as TOUR mode. Yep...there was a very good reason that they called both modes for what you push the MODE button for...

Default: TOUR

Push the Mode Button in...: SPORT!

Rider...your choice today...

I downloaded a photo of the Star Venture TC as my wall paper and that bike has a squad floorboard on it instead of the curved floorboards mine has, I wonder if those first demo bikes being pre production models had those square floorboards which would be larger and would likely drag the ground sooner.

Quite so...I was right over...and did not scrape, either side. I now can totally relax in normal everyday Tour riding. No way, will you ever drop the outer edge onto the pavement and ruin those shoes... :)

No issues with dragging pegs? I read a review involving the Harley Road Glide and the Indian Road Master and it claimed that the pegs drug ground first on the Yamaha. I know I never had a problem dragging pegs, but I one time got my toes stuck between the road and the foot peg. That was a scary AND painful lesson! Heres a link for the article for reference

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/06/2018-harley-road-glide-ultra-vs-indian-roadmaster-vs-yamaha-star-venture-tc-comparo-review/

Some YouTubers also talked about heat...heat...but, my wife at her saddle position felt nothing at 74F, she would call 'concerning heat'. I have never felt that...and in fact...had to this morning, at 48F degrees, had to close both lower foot level vents, and direct both levels of my Wind Deflectors, to deflect air out and away from the saddle position. Did they do that? Like a pro. I highly recommend that anyone wanting to drop coin down upon the SVTC...also at the same time, have them put on the accessory lower Wind Deflector set. This one is more valuable (IMPO) than the stock uppers...for it will put air right across your hips and lowers...as well as force high pressure air right over both 'Jugs', just for totally, cool evacuation of the combustion heat of the fins. They will also keep colder air away from you. Like I said, this bike runs cool for an air/oil combustion management system, and I had to remove as much early morning air from the cockpit, to stay totally comfortable. Where was all that 'boss, the heat...the heat'....when I would have loved some. I had the grips on level 2 and the seat and seat back at level 1. BTW, they blow the seat and grip heating performance of a GW...out of the water. I started at the default 3...and had to tone it right back...and YET...the seat, the seat back, the grips, were as warm as I ever needed to stay comfortable. Just around my knees and feet...it could have been warmer for me. So...again...WHERE IS THIS HEAT THAT THOSE YOUTUBE BLOGGERS WERE GOING ON ABOUT? They could have passed on some my way this morning with some fog and mist....lol. Pfffft!

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Some YouTubers also talked about heat...heat...but, my wife at her saddle position felt nothing at 74F, she would call 'concerning heat'. I have never felt that...and in fact...had to this morning, at 48F degrees, had to close both lower foot level vents, and direct both levels of my Wind Deflectors, to deflect air out and away from the saddle position. Did they do that? Like a pro. I highly recommend that anyone wanting to drop coin down upon the SVTC...also at the same time, have them put on the accessory lower Wind Deflector set. This one is more valuable (IMPO) than the stock uppers...for it will put air right across your hips and lowers...as well as force high pressure air right over both 'Jugs', just for totally, cool evacuation of the combustion heat of the fins. They will also keep colder air away from you. Like I said, this bike runs cool for an air/oil combustion management system, and I had to remove as much early morning air from the cockpit, to stay totally comfortable. Where was all that 'boss, the heat...the heat'....when I would have loved some. I had the grips on level 2 and the seat and seat back at level 1. BTW, they blow the seat and grip heating performance of a GW...out of the water. I started at the default 3...and had to tone it right back...and YET...the seat, the seat back, the grips, were as warm as I ever needed to stay comfortable. Just around my knees and feet...it could have been warmer for me. So...again...WHERE IS THIS HEAT THAT THOSE YOUTUBE BLOGGERS WERE GOING ON ABOUT? They could have passed on some my way this morning with some fog and mist....lol. Pfffft!

I certainly cant speak for anyone other than myself but I have a hunch that the big question about heat issues revolve around a couple of criteria.. One of those is how the new Venture is going to function in higher Ambient temps (+90) as found when touring in area's like the deep south or the western states during the summer time.. I think the second criteria has to do with handling traffic jams and the like when the engine is getting no air movement across its cooling fins - this especially being the case in those same area's subject to regular everyday normal tempts well over 90 degrees ambient.

In the end,, I suspect that due to the overwhelming comments being made now by folks who own and are riding this new wonder scoot and clearly seeing absolutely no evidence of any form of heat issues for themselves or their passengers (backing up what Mom Yam has been saying all along, that she had found a way to completely do away with the heat problems associated with past air cooled big twins) that in due time we will see video proof of someone taking the temps of the bike and the rider/passengers legs and feet with an infra red thermometer as suggested by numerous folks to add varifiable science into this debate.. After reading all the comments about no heat issues being found I truly look forward to that day and anxiously await the proof positive that Mom Yam really truly did do for the push rod air cooled V-Twin that which no one else in engine history has been able to do!! Exciting times to say the least!!

Really the heat thing has never been an issue for me. If you don't have the side panel vents on the First Gen Ventures they'll absolutely cook your legs if the winded catches you right. Though with the vents installed, on cool fifty degree mornings you can open them up and the heat just seems to rise right up to your inner thighs and the back of your knees and just keeps ya perfect! I personally love having a motor throw off a little heat, especially when I leave in shorts at 1 in the afternoon and its 80F and when I leave at 1 in the morning its 50F!

I'm waiting for a local demo event and I'm going to be pushing for a little demo time on the new Star Venture!

That’s cuz Puc treats his like a gosh durn billy goat and goes off-roading on it! Anytime you’re gonna use a highway tire for motocross it’s not gonna last long!

I actually think my tire wear has more to do with high speed desert travel on high high temp tarmac than wear from off roading Chief.. I only say that because it is customary and common for me to find my rear tire gathered in the form of dust smeared all over my saddle bags after touring thru areas like Needles California to Vegas, Death Valley, Area 51, Big Bend Texas, Arizona south of the south rim, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, and on and on..

Just my take from my experience...

I never really noticed any form of unusual wear from off roading them...

If you go to 22 seconds in the video below you can clearly see the floorboards Mom Yam had on early demo bikes out in Sturgis = August of last year.. Are these the same as yours American or are they as you were thinking = "square boards"?

It only gets there around the Great Lakes, when the humidex 'real feel' is tabulated. We mostly get real temp 82-93 max around Toronto...that's the real temp...before humidex. 92-93 F is very rare though...mostly a high of 82-88F

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

If you go to 22 seconds in the video below you can clearly see the floorboards Mom Yam had on early demo bikes out in Sturgis = August of last year.. Are these the same as yours American or are they as you were thinking = "square boards"?

The floorboards in your video are the same floorboards my Star Venture has, the wall paper photo I have show a square board, it has no curve in the floorboard at all. I could see it dragging sooner than the curved floorboards.

I can't figure out how to make a copy of the wall paper as I did the use photo as wall paper command and did not download the photo into the photo program on my iMac. I don't know where or how the iMac stores the wall paper photo.

Maybe it is just and optical illusion of the photo but it sure does look square.

Edited by American

It only get there around the Great Lakes, when the humidex 'real feel' is tabulated. We mostly get real temp 82-93 max around Toronto...that's the real temp...before humidex. 92-93 F is very rare though...mostly a high of 82-88F

I totally get that Yamster as I am from the Great Lakes region too BUT Mom Yam did give the new scoot star billing as a Trans Continential touring bike and I am sure that there are folks (myself included) that take that title to mean that the new Venture will be at least as capible as the older versions of handling the tour those warmer regions should the rider be so inclined to tour such areas.. Personally,, I LOVE the desert and consider CTFW across it on a yearly basis the very heartbeat of touring a motorcycle - especially when it's in all it's +100 degrees glory and so dry that not even 1 moskeetoe can survive= no bugs allowed!!

Edited by cowpuc

I totally get that Yamster as I am from the Great Lakes region too BUT Mom Yam did give the new scoot star billing as a Trans Continential touring bike and I am sure that there are folks (myself included) that take that title to mean that the new Venture will be at least as capible as the older versions of handling the tour those warmer regions should the rider be so inclined to tour such areas.. Personally,, I LOVE the desert and consider CTFW across it on a yearly basis the very heartbeat of touring a motorcycle - especially when it's in all it's +100 degrees glory and so dry that not even 1 moskeetoe can survive= no bugs allowed!!

What you say Puc, is as valid as anything else upon the forum for issues and or perception of heat. The effect of combustion, for myself and my wife, would be better described as a warmth...yes, it's there, but no more for us, than any other bike when sitting at a light or stop and go. When we are moving, you feel nothing...and in fact, my wife is a little bummed about that...she WAS expecting to have some more cockpit warmth BECAUSE of being a big V-Twin and air-oil cooled. Frankly, so was I. Our eyebrows have been raised by this. Even when I was at 44-48 F on my early morning (night run) this week, I had to shut closed the two forward lower foot vents, had to push both levels of my Air Deflectors to deflect air away from the cockpit...and for the first time, turned on the seat and back-rest heater, and the grips. So...we were expecting...some engine warmth from combustion...to warm our knees down, in the Spring and Fall. Funny that we don't think that is now going to be observed. Again...as for us, this bike runs no warmer, than our Gold Wings as felt upon us, both in our saddle positions. I'm now glad that we do have the back rests that heat up along with the saddle. That was an eye-opener!

Quite frankly, Puc...every time I now watch those early demo day videos...and get to the part where the guy is giving comments on 'how much heat', he is feeling at a traffic stop, or along the route...well...I roll my eyes...sip my coffee...and move on...lol. Heat...yeah...right, buddy...oh so bad...purchase killer...right...Pffffft! "Time to move on, Folks...nothing to see here...move on, move on...".

:)

I have dragged mine ONCE, but it was a TEST. I wanted to find out how far I had to go before I scraped. Let me say it was beyond MY comfort level!! Won’t be cornering THAT hard for sure

Chief...I was doing some Sport Tour 'dance moves' out there at 6:00 am on those curves...and I didn't let metal meet roadway, either. You won't be a metal shop grinder...at any SANE use of the SVTC in operation. INSANE, er...maybe.

Chief...I was doing some Sport Tour 'dance moves' out there at 6:00 am on those curves...and I didn't let metal meet roadway, either. You won't be a metal shop grinder...at any SANE use of the SVTC in operation. INSANE, er...maybe.

Like I said, it was a TEST. I wanted to know for future reference how far I could push her if I had to. It also showed me that I’ll have no problem pushing her in the twisties at a fun yet comfortable level. To me, she just seems to DIVE into the corners and then stop rock solid in the line you pick. Yamaha said it was “confidence inspiring handling”. I guess this must be what they’re referring to.

Since I live in North Carolina and only 1.5 hrs from the Dragons Tail and many other world famous motorcycle roads, I’ll be going up there in the next few weeks. I’m SOOO looking forward to it!

P.S. When I scraped my board, I had the suspension all the way up at 5. This definitely provides a stiffer sport suspension and greater ground clearance when riding solo. It was under THOSE conditions that I scraped, and ONLY ONCE because I did NOT want to put her over that far again!

Edited by ChiefGunner

I certainly cant speak for anyone other than myself but I have a hunch that the big question about heat issues revolve around a couple of criteria.. One of those is how the new Venture is going to function in higher Ambient temps (+90) as found when touring in area's like the deep south or the western states during the summer time..

Not even June 1st yet and it has already started...

heater.jpg