IGNORED

motorcycle trailer swivel hitch coupler

PGunn

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-trailer-swivel-hitch-coupler-goldwing-CHROME_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ016QQitemZ260273626629QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like a good idea and with the trailer weight being low at 500lbs the only issue I can see is after a while the pin or the mount wearing out. I think the only thing I would add is some kind of fill under the pin to keep it from rattling when not in use.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-trailer-swivel-hitch-coupler-goldwing-CHROME_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33653QQihZ016QQitemZ260273626629QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Looks like a good idea and with the trailer weight being low at 500lbs the only issue I can see is after a while the pin or the mount wearing out. I think the only thing I would add is some kind of fill under the pin to keep it from rattling when not in use.

Do not buy this! I bought one in June, then they "recalled" them because one fell apart on someone. They refunded my money and did not want the item back, I still have it. If you welded the pin in place or put a longer pin with cotter pins on it it might be alright. It was sold before by EZhitches, now I see it's under a different name.

Maybe I'm wrong, having never pulled a trailer with a bike before, but I fail to see the neccessity of having a ball pivot in this fashion to begin with. I've pulled trailers of various shapes and sizes professionally for the last 20 years. It has been my experience that the ball already pivots to a certain degree within the hitch, that's why it's round. Surely with a standard rigid ball setup there is enough "play" for a rider to still be able to lean into turns half way comfortably. Am I wrong on this?

Maybe I'm wrong, having never pulled a trailer with a bike before, but I fail to see the neccessity of having a ball pivot in this fashion to begin with. I've pulled trailers of various shapes and sizes professionally for the last 20 years. It has been my experience that the ball already pivots to a certain degree within the hitch, that's why it's round. Surely with a standard rigid ball setup there is enough "play" for a rider to still be able to lean into turns half way comfortably. Am I wrong on this?

I do not ride real aggressive but when by myself and pulling my trailer I lean WAYYYY over in curves and it has never been a problem with the standard ball hitch. That being said I try and not make a habit of it as I realize if a deer runs out in front of me pulling the trailer especially in a hard curve I have 0 chance of getting it stopped.

That's what I thought. I knew that by design the ball had to rotate within the hitch to a point. If it didn't, the hitch would pop loose every time you hit a dip. Not only does the hitch have to allow for rotation front and back, but on a bike would have to allow from side to side as well.

your bike, like in a parking lot or at a sudden bad stop, the standard hitch will probably not allow for enough movement to avoid doing damage to the trailer hitch or to the trailer tong. Trailer setting upright and the bike on its side, is more than what would be able to move with just a standard connection. As has been stated many times, it is not if you will drop your bike, it is when.

Well having my bike fall off the kick stand once while idleing in the driveway, yea I was in a hurry and "thought" it would be ok to do, I can see why you would want it to rotate more then the ball will allow. And the little stunt of leaving it idleing in the driveway well I now have a new outer faring shell and chrome trim and the rest of the "minor" damage is going to be slowly replaced.

Guest Dandy1

Having pulled a trailer for several years now I highly recommend a swivel coupler. You can lean over more then a standard coupler will allow and it will actually keep you from leaning over far enough to be able to make your turn. In other words my hitch has bottomed out on the ball before. Also If for some reason your bike falls over it will either screw up your hitch or your trailer tongue or both. You can buy a swivel coupler from Noesho trailers in Mo. for about $80.

Ride Safe!

I would agree that having a swivel coupler is a must. I did pull my camper to the Canada rally without one and it did ok but if the bike would go over it would either tip the trailer over or damage the hitch and tongue. I'll be buying the regular swivel coupler for it.

I've pulled my trailer quite a bit, first trip out, I actually bottomed out the ball to the hitch and almost got pushed into the shoulder of the oncoming lane. As hard as I tried, I simply could not get the bike to lean far enough to turn all the way through. This was at about 35 MPH in a 60 or 70 degree turn. Not overly aggressive but everyone riding behind me thought I was losing it. Luck was with me and I was able to pull out of it.

The day we got back, I ordered my swivel hitch and will NOT pull a trailer without it.

Started pulling trailer in 86. Just before I started, I talked with a guy who actually watched his friends bike get pulled over in a hard curve in the rockies. He said it was not a pretty sight and that the outside tire on the trailer lifted off the road and continued to lift higher the more his friend leaned into the curve,untill the bike went down. He said they just misjudged the curve, but was not going overly fast. His friend just leaned the bike over more than the hitch could swivel on the ball. Remember,this all took place before cell phone's and help was a long time coming. They were fortunate that no-one was hurt seriously, just a lot of road rash. Ruined a nice vacation though. I had a mishap one time where I had to lean the bike over hard in a hairpin turn to miss a large pothole in the middle of my lane on a 2 lane state route. The trailer tire hit the pothole and my friend said that tire bounced and went about 3 foot in the air and when it came down the whole trailer(both wheels) came off the road about 2 foot and bounced again and again, each time leaveing the road,but at smaller heights untill everything settled down. I felt the trailer bounce,but did not know how bad untill we stopped for gas. He said it scared him half to death. I credit the swivel hitch. I would not pull without one.

I have pulled a trailer for about 14 years now and with 3 different bikes. I would tell anyone going to purchase a hitch for a bike to get a "swivel hitch" or a "narrow shank ball".

I have used the narrow shanked ball and on each bike and (with the help of a friend) lay the bike over to make darn sure I can corner and not have the trailer hold me up! If it ever did I would replace my narrow shanked ball with a swivel hitch before I ever pulled the trailer.

That narrow shaft or swivel hitch will save your life.

• 5 years later...

Dont know nuttin about pulling no trailer with a bike BUT everybody and their brother has been hounding me to give it try.. TxSturgis suggested trying a single wheel trailer and that got my attention.. He also mentioned a different apparatus replacing the traditional ball on that setup.. Because of this, I started watching for such an arrangement as such and got a chance to see one in Dead Wood this year.. I snapped a few photo's and tried to get one of the attaching device,, it appears as TX had mentioned,, to be along the order of a Universal Joint connector.. Might,, or might not, be something to consider even for a two wheeled trailer.. :detective:

20140705_153334.jpg

20140705_153319.jpg

I want one for.the tip over reason. It's there more than one brand? What one should I get? Links? Thanks in advance.

I've seen two brands. Swivel Safe II is the most common. I had one on my Dart cargo trailer. Get it here:

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_73&zenid=40vmt9pi5j4j6u36bu305tgrd1

The other isn't branded as far as I can tell, but one can purchase it here:

http://www.mchitch.com/Trailer_Coupler_Swivel_Adpater_2_inch.htm

Guest tx2sturgis
I snapped a few photo's and tried to get one of the attaching device,, it appears as TX had mentioned,, to be along the order of a Universal Joint connector.. Might,, or might not, be something to consider even for a two wheeled trailer.. :detective:

A universal joint hitch is for single wheel trailers only....it won't work with a 2wheel trailer...

:happy34:

The one from open road outfitters is the only one I can find too. The other link shows sold out. I'm wondering if that is the recalled version.

I kind of wish this was on the drawbar so that anything you towed had the feature. This way you have to buy one for every trailer.

I've seen two brands. Swivel Safe II is the most common. I had one on my Dart cargo trailer. Get it here:

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_73&zenid=40vmt9pi5j4j6u36bu305tgrd1

The other isn't branded as far as I can tell, but one can purchase it here:

http://www.mchitch.com/Trailer_Coupler_Swivel_Adpater_2_inch.htm

Dont know nuttin about pulling no trailer with a bike BUT everybody and their brother has been hounding me to give it try.. TxSturgis suggested trying a single wheel trailer and that got my attention.. He also mentioned a different apparatus replacing the traditional ball on that setup.. Because of this, I started watching for such an arrangement as such and got a chance to see one in Dead Wood this year.. I snapped a few photo's and tried to get one of the attaching device,, it appears as TX had mentioned,, to be along the order of a Universal Joint connector.. Might,, or might not, be something to consider even for a two wheeled trailer.. :detective:

As mentioned the universal joint type is for single wheel trailers only. The purpose of the U-joint is so that the trailer will always have the same lean as the bike. This would prevent you from leaning into a corner.

I have the one from MC Hitch. It has pulled with no issues for 3 years now. I even got to try out the swivel feature a couple of weeks ago at Orlins MD. It had recently rained A LOT. When I parked the bike upon arrival, before I could get my side stand plate out the stand sunk and over she went. The swivel did its job and allowed the bike to lay down with no stress to the hitch or the tongue.

I am not sure if I also tried it out a couple of years ago when I dragged the foot pegs in an emergency maneuver.

The one from open road outfitters is the only one I can find too. The other link shows sold out. I'm wondering if that is the recalled version.

I kind of wish this was on the drawbar so that anything you towed had the feature. This way you have to buy one for every trailer.

Seeing how it is made, It would not be very difficult to incorporate a swivel into a 1-1/4 stinger. The stinger will just end up about 6 inches longer.

OK, now your in trouble, my gears are grinding..........:think::confused24::whistling:

Edited by Flyinfool

The concept is valid, but can you execute it?

:thumbsup:

Making that is well within the capabilities of my basement.

I did not look into cost of it all. But there are ~$60 worth of bearings in there.

Total weight would be just under 7 lbs.

Just the ball and its mounting hardware is almost 2 lbs.