IGNORED

uhalling bike

rbig1

Well I bought a 30 foot corded switch, had to change socket on winch. Stuck it on left grip and used it. Worked real slick they have wireless you can install but then there is battery maint. and they cost more. also put bolt through ramp where door pin goes in ramp dont move

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes technology beats the heck out of brute force.

Did you try unloading with the winch just for practice while you have help handy?

Did you go for a spin around the neighborhood and over some good bumps with the bike tied down back there just to verify all is good for a trip?

Drove all over today had to tighten one strap. Went thru a cat scale weighed 8600 total. When I got every thing loaded its full. Never stacked any thing. Took charcoal and tripod for cooking. The only thing that makes noise is antenna hits door sometimes. I can live with that. Think I over packed. Got enough tools for repairs. Even picked up a gps for when im lost. Picked up my half of a hog from butcher was supposed to have been done Monday they just finished it at 4 pm today. Think got all bills payed for month. Even the surprise one from today. Getting ansey. Hope to remember what I forgot tomorrow.:fingers-crossed-emo

LOOKING GREAT BROTHER:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2:... Any chance you may have tried loading in backward so you could drive it out? Completely doable with the winch... Couple ideas for unloading down yonder - if you can find a ditch, high spot or even a curb to put your ramps on for unloading = makes it much easier - I have a high spot along the road in front of my house that I have used many many times to ramp full sized bikes up into trucks (even lifted ones) with - works great!! Always make sure that pin you got on the nose of the ramp is secure when unloading - great move pinning it Rodney:thumbsup2:. Another thought - if ya get where your going and its any where near a group of these lop eared VR varmints you could call for a Meet n Greet and then trick everybody into helping you unload :Bunny: (that's what I would do :Laugh::Laugh:)...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for ya Rbig!! Cant wait to hear the trail tales of you CTFW!!!! DONT FORGET YOUR :photographing:,,,,,,,,, those desert region states are LOADED with :photographing::cop:!!!!

Your ol buddy

Puc

Puc the 3,000lb winch can be used for gently lowering the bike down the ramp also. Prevents the issue of the brakes not holding on the slippery metal ramp.

I sure am jealous, I would love to head out on a trip like that. Not to mention all the fun you had building / rebuilding the truck for the trip.

Find yourself an electric fuel pump and get on with life Rod. Sometimes what happens with the mechanical ones is the push rod and/or the camshaft lobe gets worn so there is not enough travel for the pump to actually pump...

That Bongo knows ALL the tricks!! Cant remember how many 283 Chevy's I did exactly that with - fuel pump lobe on the cam rounds off = pull out the electric fuel pump, wire her up and keep on truckin.. Hope you got it sorted out and are back on the road Rodney!!

Well i made it to a shop. If you top off tank to brim will use seven gallons and die. Think tube in tank broke off. So im stuck in motel till running again. Had the wheel bearings adjusted as wanders going down the road. The passenger is plenty loose can make it move. Looks like rain tonight. here is a few pic pucIMG_0024 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0007 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0015 (1024x768).jpg ill see if i can post the rest in photo bucket been a while since it was used. Photos dont work in you tube do they. Talk about board to death.:255:

Good advice so far..

2 other options:

If weather is conducive (not FREEZING) down yonder = unload bike, leave truck at shop, tell them will pick up in 2 months - ride ur ride!!

Next option, get 2 five gallon gas cans, fill with fuel - run till she sputters, check mileage - fill from cans - continue trip and stop n get gas within mileage parameters = part of the adventure.. Drive till ya get to warm weather = park that truck and ride the scoot!!!

Where there's a will there's a way = never give up = the very best adventures are made from a good attitude that refuses to stop moving = attitude determines your latitude :superman::superman::superman::sun:

PS = AWESOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool10:

PS, PS = wheel bearings can cause wonder but so can brake drag or alignment/worn steer parts.. Wheel bearing replace shouldnt be to bad being good old rear wheel drive. If its steer parts, and parts arent ready to fall off, sometimes putting a little extra toe in on the alignment will help - maybe and 1/8th inch instead of 1/16th of toe.. Can set with tape measure across wheels.. Dragging brakes - same routine as with our bikes only probably wheel cylinders or brakes snagging up on backing plate (doubt its disc braked).. Sometimes squirting with brake cleaner and backing off adjusters will help... wish I was there - we could have a BALL ripping that puppy apart in an abandoned gas station parking lot:178:

Will try to make chat tonight to hear all about stuff brother!!! Get your bike out - dont get bored!!!:bikersmilie::bikersmilie::15_8_211[1]:

Heck he made this far south I would take truck to shop have them pull tank and check for light debree that floats until low enuff it gets sucked to fuel line and clogs it up. But while there fiddling with truck get on that bad boy scooter and ride!!! Heck with the truck, or find a place that you can store it for a few bux a month and fix it when your done with the trip. Might be cheaper to store it temporarily tho because some places charge 45 a day just for a vehicle to sit after there done working on it. versus 60 a month for storage. Just my Nickels worth. :Venture:

well threw a fuel filter on it to get down road made 300 miles and low and behold same thing. Called local parts house got off phone. They brought all the parts I asked for. Thought that was super nice. Didnt help replaced fuel filter and it never built pressure again. By the way was in another real small town. Got towed to a truck shop in canton texas. They cant get to it till noon tomorrow so have time to ride around. Here are a few pics dont want to get in trouble with photo cop hahhaah. Also biggest mosquito Ive seen landed on me.IMG_0029 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0031 (1024x768).jpg:95:

IMG_0034 (1024x768).jpg

Oh mannnn,,, not again :95:... Welll,, ya made it 300 miles, ya GOTTA be getting closer to totally rideable weather down there :missingtooth:

GREAT PICS = wont have to add to your burden by being a nasty :photographing::cop: and gettin out my ink pen!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Glad your ok brother!!:thumbsup:

Puc