IGNORED

rain suites

warriorhoneybee

I have a pair of Frogg Toggs and I have a one piece rain suit. Niether of them have been satisfactory. I have read very many great things about both styles one piece vs. two piece but niether of the ones that I own did the trick for me. The Road Toad Frogg Toggs I have are really great other than the fact that they leak in the worst place possible. The crotch area lets water in and that gets real uncomfortable instantly. Other than that one fatal flaw they are far superior to other rain gear options I have used for the following reasons: they are breathable; you won't get wet from your own perspiration nearly as fast while wearing these, second they pack very easily and don't take up a lot of space in my bags, and lastly they are very lightweight. There are three things I don't like about the Road Toads: obviously I don't like that they leak; I have been told that this is most likely a factory defect as many other people not only sugeested these but have gotten lots of dry use out of them, secondly I wear a size 11 boot and I have to take my boot off to get the pants on, and lastly they are to short in the legs for me and they only come in one length.

I have been very unsatisfied in the one piecce rain suit that I have purchased. It is a Built brand from CycleGear and is guarenteed to be waterproof. I was running late so I road my MC to work about a total of 4 miles from my house to work in the rain. Water leaked in the crotch area. They get to hot for my liking. Not real breathable. I also have to take my boots off to get them into the pants part of the suit with out worying about ripping the stitching out.

I live in Oregon and therefor I ride in the rain. If I didn't ride in the rain I'd be lucky to have 150 days a year to ride. I finally got tired of being a cheapskate and wasting money and decided that I was going to do some extensive research and find a piece of equipment that was going to live up to the claims that the manufacturer makes. Read and read and read all kinds of reviews on jackets, pants, suits, rain gear, just about every option. I researched everything from $100 dolllar jackets to the $800 dollar Aerostitch suit. I wanted to buy something that was going to work. I narrowed it down to few options and went to some local stoes to try them on. Come to find out the sizes seem to vary greatly from one manufacturer to another so make sure that if you order something from online that either you know it will fit for sure or the store has a good exchange policy. Another problem was that none of the stoes I visited had any Long version in stock. They all needed to be special ordered and pay for up front. Didn't want to take that risk. I have ordered Long versions in the past that weren't long enough. One shop that I stopped at had a piece of gear that I had been considering. The Icon PDX rain bib/pant and PDX jacket. Tried them on and they fit very well. Was really suprised that the pants worked so well. I wear a size medium pant and the length on these were very generous. So much so that they are probably to long for most riders. They were priced somewhere in the ball park of $230 for the set. When I took them to the counter to pay the ladie asked if I belonged to any clubs. I told them I was a member of Star Riders and they discounted them 20%. Cost me $184 dollars. I made sure to ask about their return policy before sealing the deal. She assured me that I could return them no questions asked for the first twelve days and for store credit within the first month.

Icon PDX jacket and bib/pants work awesome. I have only ridden in these a few times in the rain but so far I am really impressed. My ride to work is 25 miles one way and they have performed flawlessly in a complete downpour both to work and home. They have a long waterprof leg zipper that allows me to easily get the pant/bibs on over my boots. they have a velcro adjustable waist to tighten up the fit once you get them on. One feature that I really like are the stirrups that go under your boots to keep your pant legs down while riding. They also have waterproof zippered fly so using the restroom doesn't require removing pant/bib. Both pieces have kept me 100% dry. One thing that I thought was going to be a deal breaker when I bought the jacket was the fact that the jacket has a non removable hood. The hood rolls down and has a securement built in. It has actually worked much better than I thought it would and it doesn't bother me. The jacket has two nice waterproof pockets. Overall I am very pleased with this set and would highly suggest giving it a closer look.

Edited by 09RSTD
grammar

Early last spring, right about the time the monsoons started here, I bought a new set of Frogg Toggs. The two piece set. I had an older two piece set of Froggs and a River Road two piece set at the time.

The River Roads fit well but I was soaked to the bone from sweating in them. Might as well go without.

The old set of Froggs were great even being several years old but the new line had some features I wanted. The adjustable sleeve cuff, the roll down hood and the longer zippers in the legs.

I've tested them well during the last years riding and have had no trouble with any leakage anywhere on them. The breathability is great with them even on the warmest days and bone dry at the end of the ride. On the cooler mornings I wear the jacket over my mesh as a wind breaker and pack it in for the hotter afternoons.

The pants are easy to get in and out off but the legs could stand to be a tad longer. But I'm about 6'3" and that's a given for everything for me. But they do have a heel strap so they don't ride up.

For the money, I don't think I'll be changing from the Froggs for a while. Good investment.

Mike

I like Frogg Toggs, got a couple of pair. One word,,, comfort.

But they are made to last one season as far as my expreriences go.

I still have them but they have tears and burn holes.

(I bring them to rainy club rides in case someone else forgets.)

Two years ago I bought a set of First Gear rain jacket and pants. Don't remember the model but they were around $100 with discount from Cycle Gear.

Wore them today in fact. These will last and are comfortable. Bright YELLOW jacket is nice.

But the jacket is a bit more sweatty than the Frogg Toggs.

Again the Frogg Toggs are comfortable but short life.

Mike G

I've been looking for lightweight rain gear and thought the Frogg Toggs would be good but have been reading some user reviews that indicate some of them leak quite a bit while others don't. Also there have been several mentions of broken zippers as well.

Since there are several models of Frogg Toggs does anyone know if one is better than the other? Getting a good suit seems somewhat hit or miss.

I wear Olympia Motorsports Airglide 3 ... Jacket and pants.

The mesh outer works as well as anything in the heat. Add the waterproof liners and it stays dry, and they insulated jacket liner makes it useable down to the low 30s

If it's colder than that, an electric vest would do the trick.

If it is extremely hot, the waterproof liners will reduce dehydration and you can put ice inside the suit.

I prefer the 2 piece frogg toggs.

1. Have never got wet in them and rode through some real bad storms
  2. Much easier to get in and out of (and I wear 1 pc coveralls every day)
  3. More freedom of movement than a 1 pc
  4. some times all you need is the pants, some times just the jacket
  5. The Frogg Togg jacket makes a great extra outer layer for extra warmth and wind break should the temperature drop drasticaly, while your out on a long ride.
  6. Also easier to deal with should the need to use a bathroom arise

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by saddlebum

I've been looking for lightweight rain gear and thought the Frogg Toggs would be good but have been reading some user reviews that indicate some of them leak quite a bit while others don't. Also there have been several mentions of broken zippers as well.

Since there are several models of Frogg Toggs does anyone know if one is better than the other? Getting a good suit seems somewhat hit or miss.

Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a HEAVIER DUTY zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68375

Edited by saddlebum

once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.

Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a different zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.

Had the same issue, with the same results,,, good company, and good product!!

NOTE: You have to be careful when you insert your foot into the pants or you will tear the crotch and cause leaking problems,,,, from the outside in,, I think.

once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.

You are quite correct.

Once the temperature rises above around 95F, that "cooling breeze" is heating you up. There is a very real danger of severe dehydration and heat stroke. That is why I simply shake my head at motorcyclists who ride in t-shirts and jeans in summer.

The Airglide has fully wind and waterproof liners that should be fitted in very hot weather, making the suit a solid outfit. You can also then pour ice and water inside it that will take away the excess heat.

There is no doubt that such gear is uncomfortable when you are not moving. There isn't a good answer to this. Summers are hot and so far we cannot air-condition motorcycles.

When you peel off such gear, and are bathed in sweat underneath, that simply shows that it is working. The danger is when all the sweat has evaporated and the wind is draining the fluids from your body.

Just my two cents worth:

Last year Hannah and I rode from Banner Elk, NC to just west of Knoxville, TN. It rained all the way and when I say rained I mean it was NOT just a sprinkle now and then. Our new Frogg Togg suits left us wet (damp really) up the center of the front of the upper body. Also the crotch area of my suit left me looking like I had "had an accident" (smile).

Considering that we did a five and a half hour ride in hard rain I suppose that was not too bad. Still I really believe the Frogg Togg suits performed in a less than satisfactory manner.

GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.

GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.

Mine has two liners for the jacket. There is a very thin waterproof "shell". plus a very warm insulated inner.

I have not needed the inner in temps above 35F

The answer to the shock of very cold drinks is simply to drink a little, but often. On long rides I carry a 1 gallon cooler that I can use while riding with a drinking tube.

On shorter rides, or when I have a pillion, we use cup holders and regularly top up 32oz cups.

Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a HEAVIER DUTY zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.

Good to know about the upgraded zipper.

There are several models of Frogg Toggs. Which one do you have and do you know what the differences are between them? The descriptions for each are fairly similar but there is quite a variation in price between the regular Frogg Toggs at the low end and the Elite Highway ones at the high end. I expect you probably know only about the model you have but thought you might know something about the other models. Just thought I would ask. :o

Did you deal with a Canadian distributor American distributor or directly with Frogg Toggs? Mostly I am interested here in the difference between shipping costs. I recently bought a couple of items from LeatherUp which cost $51 shipping across the border instead of the free shipping in the lower 48. :95: