IGNORED

What brand of Premium, are you planning to feed this bad boy?

I'm just jealous that no one sells real gas within 100 miles of me.

Real gas is available up where I deer hunt, So in November I get 10 gallons of real gas to fill all of my things that will hibernate over the winter. And what is left is a treat for my winter engines.

Not true. About 60 miles north of you (and just down the road from me) in Eden, WI is the sweet little petroleum honey hole called Flood Oil. They have 87 Octane non-ethanol pure gas on tap.!!! They also have 91 octane non-ethanol pure gas for the owners of the fancy new Venture.

All my bikes get it, my lawn equipment gets it, and my old Buick gets it.

Come up and see me some time and get filled up.

RR

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Zoey! We've been thinking about joining up at Costco's for awhile. This certainly would be a 'shove' in that direction. Good to know that all Costco gas locations are 91 octane, ethanol free. Thanks for the come back!

Joe

Also CO-OP gas bars in western Canada Premium is also ethanol free

Not true. About 60 miles north of you (and just down the road from me) in Eden, WI is the sweet little petroleum honey hole called Flood Oil. They have 87 Octane non-ethanol pure gas on tap.!!! They also have 91 octane non-ethanol pure gas for the owners of the fancy new Venture.

All my bikes get it, my lawn equipment gets it, and my old Buick gets it.

Come up and see me some time and get filled up.

RR

Wow...87 non-ethanol? That's impressive...but a little too far from Toronto to gas up...lol. Still impressive for regular grade!

Wow...87 non-ethanol? That's impressive...but a little too far from Toronto to gas up...lol. Still impressive for regular grade!

It's only too far if you don't go. :bikersmilie:

Once the snow goes away (more coming tomorrow!!!), we always have the welcome mat out for our motorcycle friends.

RR

It's only too far if you don't go. :bikersmilie:

Once the snow goes away (more coming tomorrow!!!), we always have the welcome mat out for our motorcycle friends.

RR

:sign Rock On:

and here at the gateway to Michigan's finest touring opportunity,, we are 4 miles from ethanol free fuel PLUS we feed our motorcycle friends free Hot Dogs on a regular basis!!!

COME ONNNNNNNN SUMMER!!!!!:fingers crossed:

Just ask someone like my dear brother @Drews - he'll tell ya all about it!!!

:sign Rock On:

and here at the gateway to Michigan's finest touring opportunity,, we are 4 miles from ethanol free fuel PLUS we feed our motorcycle friends free Hot Dogs on a regular basis!!!

COME ONNNNNNNN SUMMER!!!!!:fingers crossed:

Just ask someone like my dear brother Drews - he'll tell ya all about it!!!

Puc, how may MPG does one hot dog shoved down the filler cap of the tank, getcha? This could be a new avenue for savings! ;) Unless you put an pickled, ethanol soaked hot dog in there. Then...your mileage will vary...or so I think. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use only top tier fuels, they contain more additives to keep the engine combustion chamber, valves and fuel injectors cleaner. For me I use Chevron the most, followed by Shell then Exxon/Mobil. I have no fuel issues with any of my vehicles.

The auto manufactures worked with the oil companies to develop the top tier fuels so that the engines would run cleaner, our Honda Civic recommends using top tier fuels in the owners manual. If you are using Chevron, Shell, Exxon/Mobil, Costco you are using top tier fuel. There are other brands that are top tier as well but there are also some name brand stations that are not top tier.

Here is a link to Top Tier that explains it and has a list of brands that are now top tier certified. The list has grown since the last time I checked it.

https://www.toptiergas.com

Edited by American
Spell Check.

Looks like most our our local brands are on that list. Good to know.

I'm a believer in it...always used regular everything, but then started only using Shell Nitro Plus Premium 91 octane. Even in my 87 rated Kawasaki ZR7S. What happened after only three full tanks through the 750cc Four banger...my idle, all on its own, went up 100 RPM. My bike runs at 1,100 idle by spec. It always did...never exceeded as I set it up myself. But then...like I said, it went to a dead, turbine smooth running 1,200! So... I guess the higher detergent and other additives are doing their thing...and the entire fuel road-map is probably pretty well, deposit free, just like my bank account.

My bike, and bank savings account are both deposit free, with only the bike running the better for it.... ;)

Oh, yes, I understand that. That's the common mistake many make...that the octane rating gives better performance (but I have to say more on that, actually)....

I agree on a technical merit with what you are posting here, but I still have to say, that (and I guess we always have to caveat) in my case, Fly, the mileage gain I am getting because of the Ethanol free gas mixture is practically cancelling out the 10-11 cents per litre more, that I pay, with using the Shell Regular, which does have Ethanol content up here in Canada. If it's not to the exact penny, it practically is, so the added cost is no longer a deciding factor on whether I use the Shell Premium Nitro + in my Dodge Caravan, my Kawasaki ZR-7S, (have to with my coming SVTC) and all my other power equipment around the nest.

Now, just an interesting comment about my present air/oil cooled 2004 Kawasaki------>After having first started using it in the Dodge Caravan...and to great success, smoother running engine, quick starts, great power...blah, blah...I got to thinking...well, being that my new (this was last October) SVTC actually required 91 octane, what about trying this premium IN the air/oil cooled ZR-7S. So...I did...I waited until around fumes...and then filled up. Within the first ten miles from the pump...the very first thing I noticed...under hard (entering Highway 401) acceleration coming off the on-ramp...was how **quiet** the top end of the engine, now was. This isn't placebo effect. It's either the same level of engine glitter, or not. What the heck?!?!? Then it dawned on me...that noise I could have been hearing, was a somewhat not-100 percent clean and stable flame front across the piston crown. That was with 87 octane and ethanol laced. Hmmmm....

Could I have had a very small amount of 'pinging' going on...pre-detonation, or..during the flame front...pockets of faster ignition over the top of the piston crown? And...this contributing to the 'normal' sound of the motor since the first mile placed upon it, back in 2004? Hmmmm....

I ran three full tankfuls of non laced, non ethanol blended 91 octane gas through the air/oil cooled 750-four. I made sure that I had full throttle events, as well as cruise and easy acceleration during those three tankfuls...very mindful (with a mental footprint of the SOUND of the motor, or how busy the sound was from the top end.)

Fly...I then with purpose went back to fumes...and filled up with Regular 87 (ethanol laced)...and lo and behold...within 2 miles...(the carbs (the bike has four) contents running through the premium in the bowls)) I was back to my louder, busier, 'past normal' engine sound(s). Hmmmm.... could part of that making up of that sound...be very mild ping...low level knock? Non optimum flame front across the fuel ignition? Perhaps all...and less engine life, greater wear upon the valve seats, or more 'normal' maintenance required because of that...but not truly thought of....in the past process and use.

Back to a fill of the Premium Shell Nitro +------> again...quieter in operation.

This is what I derived from that...that even if your bike can operate on 87, without possible hard pre-detonation(knock/ping)...it does..and will run better, cooler, having the best advance ignition it can just past TDC...without any computer retarding of such. (The Kawa has such a feature, like most cars of today...and has anti-knock sensors that can and will retard the timing, if knock is noted.) It also adjusts the ignition and valve timing on the fly...quite the system, for 2004! So, I wished, that I would have been running this Premium in my rated 87 octane engine, from the get go, and will do so from now on. I do believe from my experience, that no matter what, you do get obvious, or..not so obvious benefits from running a premium fuel, that has a higher octane rating over 87, if only, it is added anti-knock/added reduction of the engines ability to retard the ignition event, live, on the fly.

So my argument for using the premium, is not solely based on whether the engine CAN be run with an octane rating of 87....but that DESPITE that rating, there are benefits, obvious, or subtle that running the Premium Nitro + will afford. It will be interesting this summer, under the hottest ambient temperatures, to see how my Kawasaki 750 will run...sound, etc...when air/oil cooling is in play. Of course for the SVTC...it is a fait accompli. You absolutely must run with that 91 octane rating, to prevent destructive pre-ignition of the 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. No cost burr under my saddle in that I run with the 91 in everything already.... :) I could imagine though..it causing a grimmace on those that are considering, or had bought the bike to know they need to feed it with Premium whatever...lol!

Great write up Joe. Good examples of “real tests” under different riding conditions.

I did note however that you made ONE fatal flaw. In your final assessment you referred to “future tense” use of your Kawi 750. You might as well accept now with grace that once you receive your SVTC, the Kawi 750 will be relegated to nothing but a “garage dust bunny”! LOL!

SOON Joe, VERY SOON NOW!