IGNORED

Help it won't start

I just put in new plugs, fuel filter, adjusted the carbs and took her out for a couple of long runs 120+ miles both times. Everything was just fine including turning her off and restarting. The rains came and she sat for a week. When I went out to go for another trip I hit the starter the entire bike went dead. I turned the key off waited a minute and turned it back on and all the lights etc. come on just like she's ready to start , but she won't start. I get a click coming from what sounds like under the bike on the right side. If it was a car I'd think the starter was out, but before I start taking off/replacing parts...Anybody have any ideas or suggestions what it might be or where I might start looking?

Thanks

George

I am sure that you already have checked all the obvious things. If not check the battery connections. Make sure the battery has a charge. I had a similiar issue with a car of mine. Jumped the gun and ended up replacing the alternator. Problem still existed. Chased a bunch of grounds. Charged the battery numerous times. Come to find out the battery had a bad cell. Sometimes it is the simplest things that cause the problem yet we overlook them because just "yesterday" everything was "OK". Hope this helps. :080402gudl_prv:

Edited by 09RSTD
grammar

Hook a voltmeter across the battery terminals, the hit starter, see how

low the voltage drops.

Next question, is how old is the battery? If over 3 years, its probably suspect.

Possibly, a bad, start solinoid, listion to it up close, you should hear a click.

Next I would hook volt meter to the starter Positive cable terminal, see if you actually

get any voltage there when you hit the start button.

Also, a very common problem, on these bikes is the " Ignition Switch itself "

Most of the time the clicking is the starter relay not getting correct power. The relay is under the battery. As stated clean all connections and have the battery checked. Mine recently did the same thing and it turned out to be a bad relay.

I recently had an 11 month old battery die suddenly, in the exact same manner as you describe. Everything fine, then one day, routine start-up, click, no start. The battery out of the bike was making only about 10.5v. I put it on the charger, and it showed green. Took it off the charger, still only making 10.5v. New battery solved the problem. Check your battery voltage on the bench. It should be making between 12 and 13 volts dc. Anything below 12 and it is probably bad.

Your starter relay should be located on the left side of the battery box. Remove the left side cover, the left pax board, and the plastic cover behind the pax board. Shine a light up in there and you will see the relay. It attaches to the battery box by means of the rubber grommet that holds the relay. There is a plug on the bottom of the relay, and the two big-current wires on top. New relay is around $45.

Everything tests fine, very puzzling! After going through my checks I hit the start switch again and she fired right up. Just like nothing was wrong! I'm wondering if, as suggested, it may be the starter relay beginning to go bad? I shut her down and restarted her about a dozen times and she started perfectly each time. :confused24:

Starter relay is a possibility, and for $45 is cheap insurance to just go ahead and replace it, just in case.

Could also be you had a bad connection at the battery, or someplace else, that got fixed when you exercised it in your search.

I don't recall how old you said your battery is. If it is 3 years old or more, I would replace it. More cheap insurance.

The fact that after sitting a few day, the problem " magically " went away !!!

Might--- Indicate that water or moisture had gotten into an electrical plug someplace, causing a high resistance connection. After drying out, problem magically went away. ???

I don't have a 2nd gen, but sombody recently posted about lots of connections located " under the Battery " He cleaned them all, and Sealed all the connector against Water, and never had another problem.

You might look into this. I don't remember who made that posting.

The fact that after sitting a few day, the problem " magically " went away !!!

Might--- Indicate that water or moisture had gotten into an electrical plug someplace, causing a high resistance connection. After drying out, problem magically went away. ???

I don't have a 2nd gen, but sombody recently posted about lots of connections located " under the Battery " He cleaned them all, and Sealed all the connector against Water, and never had another problem.

You might look into this. I don't remember who made that posting.

George, you miss read his thread. He said it was running fine and parked it (in garage maybe) and then it would not start. Lights come on but no start, just clicking.

StarUmp, I am going to say you need a new battery my friend. Keep your receipt for the new one.

I use a battery tender during winter and when I am not riding much. The battery tender just helps prolong the battery life. I have not yet replaced my battery and it is a 2007 model. So I think it is high time for me to also buy myself a new battery before I end up in the middle of no where and no starty for the bikey.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Well , maby he drove thu a puddle !! ??

Also, this kind of sounds like the 2nd Gen Ignition Switch, problem. Maby his Ing Switch is on the verge of going bad.

I agree on the battery, if over 3 to 4 years. I had a lead acid go bad in less then a year. ( classic one cell going bad )

I hate , electrical problems, that " come, and go " They are the worst kind.

Don't know how old the battery is as it was installed when I got her and that's been three years. So most likely time to replace it. We've been setting rain fall records here in the Portland area, maybe something did get wet. So it looks like new battery, starter relay and check all of the connections on the lower part of the frame. Not to mention a few sunny days to do the work!

Thanks to each of you for your advise and suggestions. If y'all are ever coming to the Portland,Oregon area let me know. Always looking for friends to ride with.

George

Well I know that for a lot of folks the standard practice after coming home from a ride is to wash their bike. Did you wash your bike after you got done riding? If so maybe some water got into somewhere it shouldn't have.

as already mentioned....sounds like it is the 2nd Gen Ignition Switch problem being your problem..

I would take the time (NOW).. to "by-pass" the ignition switch with an emergency ignition switch before yours leaves you stranded.. This is very simple to do..

You mount an OFF/On switch (in a hidden place of your choice), so that if the stock ignition switch does go out on you, all you have to do is flip that little booger and you will be on your merry way....:twing:

Check this connector out also... This is a tech article on my ignition switch connector that I had on my RSV. Yours may be the same problem..

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32359

Edited by Eck

My :2cents:

I tend to disagree about the ignition switch failure. When it fails, NOTHING works. No headlight, no dash indicators and no starter relay "clicking". :(

I would lean more toward dirty battery cable connections or bad failing battery.

I had a very similar experience recently. The buzzing / clicking solenoid / starter relay. At our local maintenance day, we did a lot of diagnosing. What it finally came down to was my 4 month old battery. It has been replaced and no problems since.

I suggest removing the battery and taking it to a dealer for load testing. Charge it fully first, then let them test it. That was my plan, but when I took it to where I'd bought it, and asked them to test it, they simply replaced the battery. There were lots of batteries being returned, so dead batteries are common, even when new.

One of the dealers here had offered to load test it for me, but I couldn't make it there until next Thursday and wanted to ride this Sunday. So I gave in to the fast answer rather than having it tested. FWIW, the dealer said that a surprising number of brand new batteries fail. And when they do, he sees symptoms like you describe.

Good luck!

Dave