IGNORED

Venture vs Goldwing...which is best?

Who Dey

I am just curious as to how you guys rank the Venture against the Goldwing? I personally like my Venture better then the Wing and the biggest reason is i think the Venture is a more comfortable bike. There are things that the Goldwing has that i wish my Venture had like Reverse and fuel injection being the two main ones but i think the Venture has more comfy seats and i like the floorboards way better then the pegs and upright seating position that the Goldwing has. It actually feels very vintage and outdated to me when i sit on one and ride it.

I am basically just talking about comfort here, forget the looks, price difference, fuel injection, and reverse etc. If the Wing and the Venture were the same price and you wanted a nice comfortable touring bike based on the smoothness of the ride and the comfort level between the two bikes, which bike would you buy? The Venture honestly gets my vote. I have ridden a Goldwing but not on a long distance trip or anything like that. From what i see the RSV just seems like a more comfortable bike and if i was going on a 1000 mile trip, it seems to me like the Venture would be the more comfortable choice. Agree or disagree?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure you will get any unbiased opinion to your question, seeing as this is a venture forum. But I will say, that my goal has always been to get to a Gold Wing eventually. They are pretty expensive, but extremely well engineered. The GPS, ABS, fuel injection, tons of storage, heated seats and grips, and all the other standard accessories. The 6 cylinder engine, is so well balanced and placed, that the bike feels much smaller, than its size appears. But, I just hope if I do get a Gold wing, you guys will still have me as a member here!

The Goldwing Trike is the only scoot I would give up my Venture for at this point in time.

If Yamaha produces a 3rd Gen Venture with decent upgrades and styling I will buy one in 2010.......If not then I will be looking to obtain the Goldwing Trike.

I have tried several Goldwings in the past year and there is simply not enough leg room for me.......Grrrrrrr.

Venture for me... I need the Cruiser riding position... The GW is more of a Standard Tourer while the RSV is a Cruiser Tourer... I had a Wing a few years ago but my knees were in better shape then... Agree with others the RSV is better looking too...

The GW and the BMW Tourers are in a class by themselves being Standards... While the Cruiser Full Dressed Tourers are RSV, Harley Dressers, Victory Vision, and the new Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager... At least that's where I draw the line

I actually prefer the looks of the Goldwing, but could not get myself to spend that kind of money for a bike that was not as comfortable, and didn't come with a 5 year warranty.

I wouldn't mind fuel injection, but not really a big deal to me. What I do like about the 'Wing is the quieter air bubble, and ABS option. But not for $6K more.

i picked the 86 venture as i love the way it looks. i am amazed at the power and handling. i sometimes ride on the sporty side and this bike will do it well. i have ridden many wings(except the new 1800) and for me i could not ride it in what i call a sporty fashion, when i did everything was scraping and i was not pushing as hard as i can. both bikes can roll on the miles for long distance.

reverse would have come in handy a couple of times.

when it came to buying a bike, the venture was my personal choice.

cheers, Scott :motorcycle:

I don't want my feet underneath me with my knees curled up all the time. That's a requirement on a Goldwing, with my 34-inch inseam. RSV lets me sit comfortably.

Me too and my inseam is only 30". Besides RSV looks like a motorcycle you can see and recognize the motor, the GW look like a Mazda Miata on two wheels.

There's no better bike than the goldwing and I've had about 7 of them in the last 10 years. I put 70,000 miles on my 2002 Goldwing and while it was a great bike, I wanted a bike that looked like a bike. Also, the Venture is a lot more comfortable on a longer ride. It's not as peppy or smoothe but it has the looks. I'd like to see the venture with abs and reverse.

Eddie

I prefer the GW looks and foot pegs over Harley looks and boards and dont like Vtwins. I dont like boards never used them as such always had my foot at the very edge like on a peg. Dont care for feet foward at all like the knees bent. The only thing I dont care for on the GW is the motor sticking out the sides interfers with my big feet pretty much why I got a 1st Gen looks and the motor is compact. Though working on a Harley type is much easier no plastic to remove.

My first bike was a CB750 and I was A total honda freak and eventually got a Wing. I thought it was the sweetest bike possible until I rode a buddy's new 83VR. I managed to unload the Wing in time to find a new 83VR in june of 84 and to this day, for a tour bike, I wouldn't have anything else. The 1st gen style just has that certain something...

A little background on me- I had that 83 all the way up to a divorce (that leaves me afraid of the dark to this day) in 98. It wasnt until late 06 that I could afford to think about getting back in the wind. As most of you know, a good 1st gen is hard to find but I just couldnt get stoked about anything else. If my new Wife (not evil) hadnt tracked down my "little blue scoot" for a xmass gift I'd probably still be looking. And she doesnt even ride.lol

Pain:7_6_3[1]:

Guest retusn

I have 1 of each. A 2000 GL1500SE and a 2001 Venture. I like each of them for different reasons. The GW is a nice ride for long rides (for me). I like the looks of the Venture, heel & toe shifter, footboards, etc. I like the seat on the GW better than the pillow seat. My problem is with bad knees and feet, the GW sits a little high for me.

Keep in mind these are my own opinions only. I have a friend that rides a new Vision and doesn't really care for my GW. I in turn don't really like riding his Vision.

I also had a GW but preffered the look, ride, comfort and warranty of the RSV. Also had a VTX but had no wind protection. I am very happy with my RSV and will probably have it until I get a trike (which my wife suggested) when the time comes. Being up north I don't put a lot of miles on. FYI- I had a customer tell me he has a 1978 Yamaha 1100 with 176,000 mile on it and the only thing he's done to it other than tires and brakes is a head gasket. I'll keep my RSV for the duration! Great Bike!

We went to buy a wing. But after going back and forth between the two for over an hour, the wife said she likes the RSV better because the seat is more comfortable and it looks like a motorcycle. I said I didn't like the footpegs because I don't like perching like a canary and not too crazy about the ocean of plastic. We took home the RSV, and would do it again.

I grew on the early Harescramble courses and MX tracks of the 60s and 70s.. Even the bikes that I personally modified to compete on lacked HUGELY in suspention so standing up was mandatory.. It was easy for me to take the skills of standing and riding and transfer this to the street.. In my, ummmmmm, older years here I still use those skills all the time and they have saved me on my occasions.. I ride thousands of miles every year on the street now and a lot of those miles are while standing.. I have ridden with groups of people and always shocked at how few of riders are accustomed to doing this, it has also amazed me that the bike manufactures have chosen to produce bikes without foot pegs mounted in a postion to accomadate this..

Have ridden several wings - they are great bikes but... The y make me hurt. Position is awful for me. My wife just got a 92 wing trike - It's really nice but it too is uncomfortable for me. I like the TD and the venture is very nearly the same as far as position. and has most of the amenities. I am just waiting to get a hold of a new voyager now.:thumbsup2: