IGNORED

Adding Trunk to RSTD

I've a different take to adding a trunk to the RSTD that I was wondering if anybody has tried.....

I'd like to use the removeable backrest for the attachement point and fabricate/add a Venture Royal trunk frame to that to create a one piece set-up the would mount the trunk. This way when I don't want or need the trunk I could put the standard back rest in - obviously, I'd need to purchase an extra back rest unit but It would be worth it for the ease of change over. I've seen the trunck frames on ebay for about 200 and I figured a good welding shop could fabricate/join this to the back rest frame. My only concern is if the mounts where the slide-in std. backrest fits are strong enough for the additional weight of the trunk assemby....

Any ideas or experience trying to do this?

Thanks!:lightbulb:

I've done just that. I bought a second backrest and had a Harley trunk bracket welded on to it. It been about six months and I love it. I 'll try and get a few pics together tomorrw and post them here. as for the strength, it seems pretty sturdy and my 12 year old rides back there with no problem. He's not a little one either. 5'11" and 140 lbs.

I saw where someone else did this to. I saw it here. You could probably do a search and find it. A good idea. I would say the most costly part of this is getting the trunk in good shape and getting it painted to match your bike. I looked for some time on the net and found a few, but most had some kinda road rash on them or holes or cracks in them.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45812&highlight=Royal+Star+Tour+Deluxe+Trunk

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1596&highlight=Royal+Star+Tour+Deluxe+Trunk

Fuzzy

As promised here are the pictures. I had the work done at a bike shop in Wilmington N.C. I will tell you that after buying the 2nd backrest and the tour pak plus the cost of the fabrication it wasn't cheap. Good Luck!!

That looks great! I new I could not be the only one to have this idea. So, if you don;t mind me asking....what was the total $? Also, any tips in working throuh any quirks or is it as straight-forward as it looks? I've seen the trunk and backrest complete (used) on ebay for 900. - I guess that number is doubled with the extra brest and shop fees not to mention paint.

Any feedback on the way it rides with this setup?

Thanks,

Dave

David,

Those numbers are in the right ball park I was lucky enough to find the tour pak for $300.00 then paint and fabrication was another $700.00. I still need to install the lining and add chrome to the bracket , which I'm doing today. I even looked at the Harley LED light kit which is another $469.00 so custom dynamics here I come. You think we'd have just bought the Venture huh? But as much as I like these bikes I don't like the rounded cyclops look of the front fairing.

James

Good Luck

What year is the tour pack you used from? I figure 2k is better than buying a whole new bike- need some more support/comfort for the wife. Best of all is keeping the versatility of the RSTD- kinda like havin' three bikes in one! I agree about the RSV fairing- not a fan of the bulky look and headlight set up. I'm in process of tracking down some parts- oh, how much larger than the RSV trunk is the Harley trunk?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I can't really answer on how much larger the trunk is. I actually used to own a 99 Venture back in 2001-2002 and sold it when uncle Sam sent me to Korea but all I can say is both will hold two full face helmets. This time I was in the market for whichever I could find first and would have gladly taken a venture trunk if the price was right. I never saw the Harley mine came off of but I was told it was an 89.

BTW you are right about $2000 vs a new bike and you are a lucky man. I can't get my wife to ride.

James

James,

Thanks for all your feedback, it's really going to help me pull this together with less trial and error. I've found some 83 venture 1200 trunks and some later 98/99 ones that will work and are decently priced. I noticed the earlier 1200 venture trunks are a tad smaller but I kind of like the look and they have a shape that I think will compliment the rstd bags- we'll see. I have yet to find the tour pak for less than 450. I did see one complete with rest, lights, and antennas in excellant condition. The other one I'm considering is marketed under the brand name VIP (& others) it too has brake lights, turn signals, and led wing. It's a few inches narrower (19" w.) than the tour pak but I like the lines of it. I am just not sure what the quality will be for the price. Hmmmm?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1 month later...

I added the VIP tour pak doing just what you said, I had the short sissy bar bent at a custom cycle shop, I added a clear poly board under the trunk for stability. I attached it to the bar with pipe clamps lined with rubber so it cannot move. I bought a new in the package backrest bar on ebay for $30. The VIP tour pack with wrap around backrest, luggage rack on top and spoiler with flashing brake lights that I attached with a removable connector, all for $400. It is extremely stable and looks pretty good, the white is a close match with the white on the bike, I am going to add some blue to finish it off but the pics are what is so far and they do not do it justice. And I WILL bet there are not very many RSTCs with a trunk! :banana:

Big Lenny,

It's a Hoppe Quadzilla fairing. I love it. But I have seen a few others that I liked as well. I bought a few different windshields along with it. I did have a few problems with the radio that I bought with it but the fairing is great.

BTW Dave How is the trunk going?

The way I did it required a lot of work. I bought a used RSTD backrest and had it cut and added the support for underneath. There are less expensive ways to do it but I wanted it to be quick detachable. Now it comes off just like the OEM backrest and I can ride solo or just replace it with the standard backrest. Best of all Worlds.

OK Sorry about that. The fairing was absolutley no probelm at all the instructions were perfectly clear and guess it took about 90 mins to get the job done.( It was over two years ago.) It was so seemless that I don't even think of it as a mod anymore. Hope that helps.

Here you go. As you can see I also added the windshield bags. This is the shorter 9" smoked screen I aslo have the 6" and the largest one but I can't remember the size. If I can add anything else just let me know.

68357.jpg 68358.jpg 68359.jpg

Edited by Freebird

• 4 months later...
The way I did it required a lot of work. I bought a used RSTD backrest and had it cut and added the support for underneath. There are less expensive ways to do it but I wanted it to be quick detachable. Now it comes off just like the OEM backrest and I can ride solo or just replace it with the standard backrest. Best of all Worlds.

Where did you find a backrest and what did it cost you? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...