IGNORED

What did you do to your venture today?

gggGary

Sounds interesting. That does sound like a good spot and you can probably pack clothes and stuff on top of tank as well.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a long distance ride this summer. The wifemate has given the go ahead knowing this may be my last chance as age is creeping up! I rode across country in the younger days and on a smaller bike...but...grins!

So I bow to your superior knowledge of LD riding! Congrats on all your Iron Butt's!

I was thinking of carrying a small gas can in one of the saddlebags. But most of my riding would be near or on major highways so gas shouldn't be a problem. Even in the Four Corners area, there's gas nearby if you plan your stops. I was concerned about going across the New Mexico desert on rt 70, but have found enough stops to make it without a problem...and that's assuming around 35mpg's with reserve (keeping the scoot under the sound barrier as well!).

Take the opportunity to head out on the highway. You meet the nicest people while riding a motorcycle. I think my Wife likes when I leave but then when I get back she is so glad to see me. We get a long very well but she likes her alone time and I like to ride.

Part of being too old to ride is in your head. My uncle is 84 still riding and teaching MC safety. A friend of the family stopped at 90. I met a guy over 90, still riding long distances, and passed his flight exam. I don't believe I'd fly with him. I'm 69 and started back to riding at age 59 after 26 years without a motorcycle. In the past ten years I have put over 130,000 miles on my VTX and 20,000 on my RSV. That is while missing a total of about 1.5 years being laid up with various surgeries. Only one was almost serious. I already have a plan if I don't feel comfortable on two wheels. That is either a sidecar or Can Am. If that doesn't work I'll take to the road in my new pickup. I like to travel.

Thanks for the compliment. Not a big deal on the IBAs as I have yet to do a Bun Burner Gold (1500 in 24 hrs). That one I am told is a real challenge. I had always been a "road warrior" on 4 wheels, a thousand miles here or there in a day. So it transferred to two wheels. I love touring and smelling the flowers but at times I just need or want to get somewhere then smell the flowers. Other times I like the challenge.

You should be OK on fuel. Many places may be few and far between in parts of the country. You should be able to count on 150 miles before reserve under the worst conditions. I did get a bit nervious in Wyoming. I guess we were climbing plus the wind; I hit reserve at 150 and the towns that should have had fuel did not. Just don't push the limits unless you know where fuel is. I always check the internet ahead and then have a back up plan. It might not hurt to carry one or two of those MSR canisters with fuel. Of course they take up space. I have done it but never needed it even on my VTX with a 135 mile range before reserve running an honest 75 - 80.

The 4 Corners Ride I mentioned is a ride sponsored by Southern California Motorcycle Association. The four extreme corners of the lower 48 in 21 days. That's about 500 miles per day. There is not a lot out in the Four Corners area of New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona but there is fuel in Ship Rock. Colorado has Durango.

Have a great trip. If you are through the Dallas area let me know.

Edited by leroy

Take the opportunity to head out on the highway. You meet the nicest people while riding a motorcycle. I think my Wife likes when I leave but then when I get back she is so glad to see me. We get a long very well but she likes her alone time and I like to ride.

Part of being too old to ride is in your head. My uncle is 84 still riding and teaching MC safety. A friend of the family stopped at 90. I met a guy over 90, still riding long distances, and passed his flight exam. I don't believe I'd fly with him. I'm 69 and started back to riding at age 59 after 26 years without a motorcycle. In the past ten years I have put over 130,000 miles on my VTX and 20,000 on my RSV. That is while missing a total of about 1.5 years being laid up with various surgeries. Only one was almost serious. I already have a plan if I don't feel comfortable on two wheels. That is either a sidecar or Can Am. If that doesn't work I'll take to the road in my new pickup. I like to travel.

Thanks for the compliment. Not a big deal on the IBAs as I have yet to do a Bun Burner Gold 1(500 in 24 hrs). That one I am told is a real challenge. I had always been a "road warrior" on 4 wheels, a thousand miles here or there in a day. So it transferred to two wheels. I love touring and smelling the flowers but at times I just need or want to get somewhere then smell the flowers. Other times I like the challenge.

You should be OK on fuel. Many places may be few and far between in parts of the country. You should be able to count on 150 miles before reserve under the worst conditions. I did get a bit nervious in Wyoming. I guess we were climbing plus the wind; I hit reserve at 150 and the towns that should have had fuel did not. Just don't push the limits unless you know where fuel is. I always check the internet ahead and then have a back up plan. It might not hurt to carry one or two of those MSR canisters with fuel. Of course they take up space. I have done it but never needed it even on my VTX with a 135 mile range before reserve running an honest 75 - 80.

The 4 Corners Ride I mentioned is a ride sponsored by Southern California Motorcycle Association. The four extreme corners of the lower 48 in 21 days. That's about 500 miles per day. There is not a lot out in the Four Corners area of New Mexico, Utah, and Arizona but there is fuel in Ship Rock. Colorado has Durango.

Have a great trip. If you are through the Dallas area let me know.

I too love to travel and have over 200K on my Yukon XL crossing the country multiple times, visiting friends and enjoying the food and flavor of America. I'm concerned about my butt ! The Yukon is comfy...the RSV is comfy but not sure I can take the heat of summer all day long. After 40 plus years in Arizona, I would think heat would not be an issue for me, but the older I get the more it bothers me...

Four Corners Ride...now that would be a challenge, for sure!

Thanks for the encouragement...

@leroy bun burner? 500 miles in 24 hrs? I have done that twice... But does it have to be done at certain place?

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

Sorry, I got my parentheses in the wrong place. That is 1500 miles in 24 hours. I 'll see if I can correct it. I've done 1200 in 18 but got sleepy.

I have my reshaped and recovered in leather seats rode in now. Very pleased with the comfort. Went for an OEM style. Thinking of being more daring with my 99RSTDhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/f68354e8c2b27fecf1dd61988523fa2b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/eec5d5e1359ceda2cb4ef2cfb6848eb7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180324/b0905e3cddb012b51de2c8b25b9f3dfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Davin, I sure like that color.

Well today I think I am finished farkling for a while. After the auxiliary fuel tank was successful I went after some older add ons and added some new stuff.

I previously replaced the H-4 headlight with an HID. Also replaced the PAR 36 with LEDs from Truck Lite last year. All running through a fuse block and relays.

So after three days of work and plenty of interruptions I finished up today. Here is my latest. I repositioned (moved one bolt down) my Moto Lights. They were where I liked them but they were in the way for replacing brake pads. Wired a light in my tail trunk. Added a Show Chrome handle bar switch on the right bar to control my newly added Denali D4 driving lights. I already had the Moto Lights and passing lights on another two button SC switch on the left side and running them through a fuse block with relays. Rewired my 12 volt/usb outlet on the bars. Then looked up my GPS. Forgot, I added a Barons tach. It is mounted on the brake reservoir.

I prefer not to ride at night but when I do I want to be able to see. I think I still have some IBA rides left in me. The BB 1500 Gold is calling as is the 50 CC. So the lighting will be nice if I get to try those rides.

I'll try to add pictures later. Now I have to catch up on my chores on the home front.

Edited by leroy

Started to install new "ISO" style(chicom knock offs) grips only to find that while I'd ordered 7/8" grips, what I received were actually 1" so I initiated a return and ordered a a pair of real ISOs and a Throttle Boss for The Beast.

I'm so happy to have just returned from 25 miles of CTFW! No leaks! I guess the clutch springs are okay if you get Whiplash when you hit the throttle 6000 RPM. Now if I could only remember what order to put the fairing back together in. I still have that dripping carb on number 2 but the mechanic yesterday said bring it in either have it for me the next day or two after I drop it off. Also it idles at about 1100. And she's backfiring on the right side even when I'm just letting off the gas to shift. I really haven't got to ride her since they got done doing the carbs and stuff last fall. I'm just thrilled to have gotten a ride in 52 degrees today!2c8604655e22d25e0680d9ba2494a049.jpg

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

I'm so happy to have just returned from 25 miles of CTFW! No leaks! I guess the clutch springs are okay if you get Whiplash when you hit the throttle 6000 RPM. Now if I could only remember what order to put the fairing back together in. I still have that dripping carb on number 2 but the mechanic yesterday said bring it in either have it for me the next day or two after I drop it off. Also it idles at about 1100. And she's backfiring on the right side even when I'm just letting off the gas to shift. I really haven't got to ride her since they got done doing the carbs and stuff last fall. I'm just thrilled to have gotten a ride in 52 degrees today!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180405/2c8604655e22d25e0680d9ba2494a049.jpg

Sounds like syncing the carbs are in order.

:farmer::bagpipes-emoticon:

I'm so happy to have just returned from 25 miles of CTFW! No leaks! I guess the clutch springs are okay if you get Whiplash when you hit the throttle 6000 RPM. Now if I could only remember what order to put the fairing back together in. I still have that dripping carb on number 2 but the mechanic yesterday said bring it in either have it for me the next day or two after I drop it off. Also it idles at about 1100. And she's backfiring on the right side even when I'm just letting off the gas to shift. I really haven't got to ride her since they got done doing the carbs and stuff last fall. I'm just thrilled to have gotten a ride in 52 degrees today!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180405/2c8604655e22d25e0680d9ba2494a049.jpg

If they did the carbs and I know its not cheap!! Why return it to them unless he is gonna do it for free... Just my personal opinion!!! Get the videos and do it your self ...

Before you bother to do a sync, get that #2 carb fixed. Dripping gas above a hot exhaust pipe could get real interesting.:225:
I carried a fire extinguisher in a back pack! No but I cleaned up the pool between the cylinders first. I'll make sure they sync as part of fixing that leak.

If they did the carbs and I know its not cheap!! Why return it to them unless he is gonna do it for free... Just my personal opinion!!! Get the videos and do it your self ...

I stopped in there the other day and kept them entertained over lunch hour. There's no charge for getting that fixed like it should be. I let him know about it right away last fall. I've only put about 80 miles on it since I got it back from them then. These guys do a lot of specialty speed build stuff as a base of their business and really know their stuff. What I like is they like working on old bikes too and they like working with old guys that don't know what the f--- they're doing cuz we laugh a lot, usually at my expense. I've always lived by The Motto that I'd rather make a fool of myself than have someone else do it! Dropping almost 4 grand with them last year doesn't hurt our relationship much either

Today I installed the Genuine Kuryakyn ISO Grips and Throttle Boss I ordered after getting the wrong knock off set from China.

I am pleased.

The good news is the seller that sent the wrong grips is going to send me the 7/8" grips and let me keep the 1" set. So if anyone here needs a set of knock off ISO grips with throttle boss for 1" bars let me know. You can have them cheap as I have no need for them.

The 7/8" set,(should it ever actually arrive) will go on my '82 XJ750 Maxim.

The knock offs are actually quite nice. The seem to be well made. The 2 main differences I see are that there is no separate spacer between the grip and end cap and the rubber that protrudes from the grip barrel is a little thicker and softer than the Kuryakyn grips.

Yesterday I dropped off the 83 to get the car Bleak taken care of and syncing done. Which reminds me that Puc' s YouTube video instructing how to sync the carbs doesn't say where to set it. He adjust them so they're all the same but how do you know which one to adjust to? Also, could someone please explain what it is about the 83 that makes it require syncing more than once every couple years like my mechanic insists is all it should ever need? I've tried to say no no no we got to do it but he always thinks I'm crazy. Even though this time it's pretty obvious because of the backfiring and missing. And if it's something that needs to be done so frequently, why hasn't there been a fix for it? I rode a Kawasaki for 5 years and never even gave it a thought.

Today I bought a new washbasin at Walmart and made pieces to repair the bucket inside the left fairing that had been cut two or three times by previous owner to put in CB's and radios and crap. The entire bottom and 4in of the back side were cut out and then there was a nice 6 in hole 2 in wide all the way down the length of the front of the box. It ain't pretty but it's watertight and now it's not just a sifter 4 things I would put in there that I wanted to lose somewhere into the fairing or down the road.

It's 78 degrees here today. Supposed to be the same tomorrow and then 2 in of snow forecast for Saturday.

To the best of my knowledge everything is now ready to turn the key and Chase the front wheel All Summer Long! What a year it's been! I guess now I have to learn how to tour instead of taking test rides to find out what needed to be fixed!

Oh, when I pulled up to drop the bike off yesterday there was a blue Venture Royale setting in front and inside I got to meet the owner and only had enough time to exchange pleasantries tell him about this site and trade business cards. I I think it was a 1st Gen, blue, much better condition than mine plastic wise. And he should be joining here soon. He couldn't justify $12 a month, but when I explained that's $12 a year he got excited. I'll be e-mailing him tonight so get ready to welcome a new Omaha guy. Real estate agent.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times but Thanks to all of you for all of your help and getting to this point!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I dropped off the 83 to get the car Bleak taken care of and syncing done. Which reminds me that Puc' s YouTube video instructing how to sync the carbs doesn't say where to set it. He adjust them so they're all the same but how do you know which one to adjust to? Also, could someone please explain what it is about the 83 that makes it require syncing more than once every couple years like my mechanic insists is all it should ever need? I've tried to say no no no we got to do it but he always thinks I'm crazy. Even though this time it's pretty obvious because of the backfiring and missing.

Today I bought a new washbasin at Walmart and made pieces to repair the bucket inside the left fairing that had been cut two or three times by previous owner to put in CB's and radios and crap. The entire bottom and 4in of the back side were cut out and then there was a nice 6 in hole 2 in wide all the way down the length of the front of the box. It ain't pretty but it's watertight and now it's not just a sifter 4 things I would put in there that I wanted to lose somewhere into the fairing or down the road.

It's 78 degrees here today. Supposed to be the same tomorrow and then 2 in of snow forecast for Saturday.

To the best of my knowledge everything is now ready to turn the key and Chase the front wheel All Summer Long! What a year it's been!

Oh, when I pulled up to drop the bike off yesterday there was a blue Venture Royale setting in front and inside I got to meet the owner and only had enough time to exchange pleasantries tell him about this site and trade business cards. I I think it was a 1st Gen, blue, much better condition than mine plastic wise. And he should be joining here soon. He couldn't justify $12 a month, but when I explained that's $12 a year he got excited. I'll be e-mailing him tonight so get ready to welcome a new Omaha guy. Real estate agent.

Actually sir I do believe he shows the screw and what does what... You probably didn't catch it but I'm pretty sure its there

Actually sir I do believe he shows the screw and what does what... You probably didn't catch it but I'm pretty sure its there

He does show this screw, he shows how it adjust and that he gets them all 4 NSYNC, but it looks like he randomly chose one that was out of sync with the other three. How did he know not to sync the other three to the one that was off?

He does show this screw, he shows how it adjust and that he gets them all 4 NSYNC, but it looks like he randomly chose one that was out of sync with the other three. How did he know not to sync the other three to the one that was off?

You sync to the front left carb aka #2 , the only screw on the left side is for #1 carb.. Then right rear screw I believe is for matching to the other side then you go to front right screw and sync it with the rest. as long as you hook up your sync tool accordingly it shows you which one is out for the most part...

Yesterday I dropped off the 83 to get the car Bleak taken care of and syncing done. Which reminds me that Puc' s YouTube video instructing how to sync the carbs doesn't say where to set it. He adjust them so they're all the same but how do you know which one to adjust to? Also, could someone please explain what it is about the 83 that makes it require syncing more than once every couple years like my mechanic insists is all it should ever need? I've tried to say no no no we got to do it but he always thinks I'm crazy. Even though this time it's pretty obvious because of the backfiring and missing. And if it's something that needs to be done so frequently, why hasn't there been a fix for it? I rode a Kawasaki for 5 years and never even gave it a thought.

To the best of my knowledge everything is now ready to turn the key and Chase the front wheel All Summer Long! What a year it's been! I guess now I have to learn how to tour instead of taking test rides to find out what needed to be fixed!

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times but Thanks to all of you for all of your help and getting to this point!

Snype gets the Hot Dog on this one Ty = go to 10:55 to see the screw that sync's #2 to #1 ,, and then go to 12:15 on the timeline to see the screw to set #3 to #4 and also the one to set left side to right side - all found in the video below :big-grin-emoticon:

Snype gets the Hot Dog on this one Ty = go to 10:55 to see the screw that sync's #2 to #1 ,, and then go to 12:15 on the timeline to see the screw to set #3 to #4 and also the one to set left side to right side - all found in the video below :big-grin-emoticon:

I just went thru all your videos and was getting ready to watch it to find just that.

Oh yea,,, I usually sync my carbs every time I change my oil at home basically because I am an obsessive compulsive gearhead who has the tools to do the job :missingtooth: and Tweeksis LOVES to be tweeked on... Not only that but because most of the modern day touring bikers around here have graduated to bikes with engines almost twice the size of Tweeksis's and keeping her in good tune makes it all the more easier for her to put a smoking on em without speed shifting er...

Also, the more carbs/cylinders involved combined with wear that linkages/carb parts get on them from usage and/or the more imperfections occur on things like diaphrams from being dried out from using Ethanol Fuel's = the more sensitive to adjustment needs the system becomes.. Keep in mind to that not everyone has the same "tune" level of need = one of my 1st Gens came from a person who was riding it when second gear started slipping.. Beautiful scoot with only 26k miles on it.. When I test rode I could instantly tell it was not running on 4 just by the way it revved (slow).. I asked him how long the carbs had been out of wack - he said it had been running like that for the 3 years he had owned the bike.. I rode it home +100 miles away - maintaining highway speeds with no problem whatso ever - bike ran great but low on normal v-4 torque and high power.. Got home, pulled the slides and BINGO - one diaphram completely seperated from the slide!! This would have been found INSTANTLY with a carb sync but the previous owner was as happy as a peach riding around on a 900cc - 3 cylinder Yamaha Venture - which,, by the way,,, I am totally good with - its just that I prefer to have my motor to be able to perform its work (torque) as fast as possible (hp) so together we :checkeredflag:even against much larger engined putzy scoots :cool10:

#2 carb is the benchmark. It can't be sync'd, but does control the idle. Left front is #2.
Got it, Thanks. But what causes the sync to vary so often if new diaphragms and slides? Worn linkage? Were they finicky like that from mile 1? Why these Yamahas as opposed to other engines? Just curious...

Got it, Thanks. But what causes the sync to vary so often if new diaphragms and slides? Worn linkage? Were they finicky like that from mile 1? Why these Yamahas as opposed to other engines? Just curious...

Actually Google carb sync.. Its any carb set up with multiple carbs... You can also search YouTube... Your basically fine tuning.