IGNORED

Question on why we ride

turtle

I an asking this question mainly for my self I have made the switch back to riding motorcycle from driving old cars . I liked low and slow when driving my old hot rods it was about the ride not the destination. Now that I am riding more on the bike then the caddy I feel just as happy at 40 mph then 60 I will state that I am blind in my rt eye and it gives more time to see the sights. To my point a 3 hr. ride can be just as enjoyable at 100 miles then the same time and 200 miles. Again I live in Iowa and not a lot off twisting roads around. I don't mind going speed limit or above to get to a certain place at a certain time but just a relaxing ride I enjoy low and slow. Welcome your thoughts am I alone:confused:

For me, it just depends on my mood and where I am. When Eileen rides with me, it is always fairly laid back. She doesn't like high speeds except, strangely enough, she likes me to ride fairly aggressively in the twisties as long as I don't drag anything.

When I ride alone, I tend to ride faster a bit more often but there are still times when I like to just take my time and enjoy the scenery and serinity.

I am an old car guy too. I drive my old car in a way that seems appropriate for a senior citizen vehicle, trying to stay at posted speeds on two lane roads. It was born in 1941, life was slower then I think, at least until the war started. I ride my bike in a variety of ways. Commuting to work I run at or slightly above the speed limits, thru the twisty section and also on the interstate. For a leisure ride the pace seems more sedate, although the speed is probably about the same. Must be a state of mind thing. Never thought much about it until now.

Although I'm not riding anymore since I sold my bikes last summer, when I was riding I found that recently I was slowing down somewhat but generally I've always been a bit of an aggressive speedster. Not so much when I'm in my cage though; however, I don't like following anyone unless they're well ahead of me and staying there but if I find I'm gaining on them, I'll be looking for an opportunity to pass whether I'm on the bike or in the cage. I guess when riding the bike, I've always rode for the thrill of the ride rather than gawking at the scenery.

Riding a bike certainly beats sitting in front of the tv. I had my Kawasaki with me in FL when I worked at Turkey Point. During those 14 months of 6 - 12s, riding my bike to work and back every day were the highlights of my day, especially when a Harley pulled out to pass a car with me and got left!! :big-grin-emoticon:

I would struggle to put words to it, it starts with a state of mind. There are plenty of motorcycle owners that dont have it, I know some, but there is an inexplicable feeling of freedom and bliss while gliding through a less traveled route, someplace new or a familiar way to the store. I dont think there is really a word or phrase to capture the why of it. Freedom sounds trite and overused but I think it's the best I can do. Even though I cant find the words I know you guys understand very well what it is.

I started riding again because it made my commute less expensive. Was in a reevaluating my budget mode at the time. Had forgotten just how wonderful it felt to ride on two wheels. On a four lane or greater road I keep my speed just a touch faster than the average traffic but try to ride in the right lane as often as possible so the tear-asses can easily attain their destiny.

On low traffic country roads that are curvaceous but perhaps not exactly twisty I like to go a little over the speed limit. I often play a game of paralleling the center line as close as possible while staying about 2-3 feet in my lane. Not using the whole road somewhat makes it feel like a faster ride. If traffic and sight lines permit, when it comes to twisty bits I like to come out of them way faster than I went in. Dipsy-doodling at speed is exhilarating even if it is only for a short while. About the only time stuff drags is by mistake but then I'm on a 1st gen which is the sporty one so there are few roads that stuff will drag without going way too fast for the safety of all involved.

Low and slow is somewhat of a personal assessment but I think I'm on your page to some degree, more or less. :biker:

With me it depends on which bike I am riding, on the trike I just take it easy and cruise rite along looking at all the sites and enjoying the day and the ride. If we are heading to a destination or event I usually cruise at 5-10 over the speed limit on the highway or turnpike. When I am on the Madura... everything seems to go to my rite wrist, 1st 2nd and 3rd will get you to 100mph in a heart beat and at 65yrs old I still enjoy doing that way too often. Overall I have noticed I have slowed down quite a bit though.

Craig

I would struggle to put words to it, it starts with a state of mind. There are plenty of motorcycle owners that dont have it, I know some, but there is an inexplicable feeling of freedom and bliss while gliding through a less traveled route, someplace new or a familiar way to the store. I dont think there is really a word or phrase to capture the why of it. Freedom sounds trite and overused but I think it's the best I can do. Even though I cant find the words I know you guys understand very well what it is.

I'm with Casey on this, with one added pleasure...sharing it with the Love of my life. When we are on the trike Its like the world and all it's BS just fads away.

Well, I'll be 70 this summer and now I pretty much ride for the sake of riding! I'm not in any big hurry unless I have a set destination to make! My racing days are pretty much over but yes, sometimes twisting the throttle and getting a decent response still brings a smile to my face. Other times it's just the satisfaction of the ride, especially when I don't have any real place to be at! I certainly don't ride as much as I used to, but so far still enjoy riding!

As far as 4 wheels, I am definitely nostalgic for the good old days but do not have the money to tie up in a collector car. There are at least a dozen cars I would love to own, either because I owned one a long time ago or wish I could have owned one! To mention a few, a mid 50's Studebaker Golden Hawk, later 50's Desoto, '57 Pontiac, 58 Pontiac, Triumph TR6, late 30's Mercury, Hudson Hornet, and a bunch of late 60's Muscle cars, but not necessarily to go fast, just to cruise in!! Right now I drive a nice full sized loaded Impala that set me back close to 40K...

Sooo, I plan on riding for at least a few more years and plan on enjoying it!!

Therapy. Relaxation. Freedom.

I'm slowing down too. But still love the rush of twisting the throttle on the 1st Gen.

Loved my 1960 Bugeye Sprite too... But sold it when it became apparent I couldn't get out of it easily anymore.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my 89 VR.... Only because I'm not as comfortable holding her up. I'm shrinking and bike isn't. Always something...

For me it's all about the freedom of it. Just point the wheel and go. Doesn't really matter where. I used to love going out on one of the sponsons at night when things were quieter and just feel the ocean breeze and sea spray. Sit and think about nothing. Peace and freedom. I think I took up riding because it reminds me of those moments.

Loved my 1960 Bugeye Sprite too... But sold it when it became apparent I couldn't get out of it easily anymore.

My first car was a 1958 Triumph TR3A that looked just like the one in the link. Loved the car, had electric overdrive on the top 2 but hated the side curtains, let in too much snow in the winter. All my cars were British sports cars except the last one which was a 95 Mustang GT. It had the most power but was the least sporty.

Casey got me thinking about the feeling of riding, doesn't seem to me that it's any more free than driving a responsive 4 wheeler with no roof. However, dipsy-doodling through the twisties has about the same rush as doing a downhill slalom and way better than any of my experiences on 4 wheels.

I grew up on the waterfront and always had boats. I loved being out there by myself, especially in rough weather. When I got old enough for cars I always had British sports cars. Lots of winding roads around here to cut loose on. Eventually the sport cars got to be too expensive and I took up motorcycles. I loved the feeling of a good winding road and the freedom of being on my own. I eventually had to sell the sailboats but to me a power boat compared to a car while a sailboat compared to a motorcycle. I had an '85 Madura which was stupid fast for a cruiser. It had a 1/4 turn throttle and an 11,500 red line. It topped out at 150 mph and got up there in a big hurry. I eventually sold it. I figured I was getting older and might as well live a few more years. I got the 02 venture and love it but now I am even older and finding it a handful in the parking lot. Time to downsize. I love the speed and power but I also enjoy just cruising.

Why we ride. Good question. For me I will answer that now as I didn't in my first post. My wife will not let me sell it. I was it a bad crash in 72 and spent four months in a full body cast. When I was let out of the hospital I still had a cast on my left leg to my hip and wore it till early spring of 73. While in the cast I decided to rebuild the bike. All went well till I was able to ride it. I could not let out on the clutch. The fear of crashing hit me like a hammer so I sold the bike to my brother for $50.00. After the wife and I got Married we were at his house and she wanted to go for a ride but not with anyone but me. She talked me into trying and the rest is history.

My first car was a 1958 Triumph TR3A that looked just like the one in the link. Loved the car, had electric overdrive on the top 2 but hated the side curtains, let in too much snow in the winter. All my cars were British sports cars except the last one which was a 95 Mustang GT. It had the most power but was the least sporty.

Casey got me thinking about the feeling of riding, doesn't seem to me that it's any more free than driving a responsive 4 wheeler with no roof. However, dipsy-doodling through the twisties has about the same rush as doing a downhill slalom and way better than any of my experiences on 4 wheels.

I loved the TR3. Low slung doors and huge hood!.

I drove my Bugeye through 4 Winters in Colorado so know about side curtains and snow. And yes, there is a similarity between old British sports cars and scoots. The top down ride, roar of the exhaust....ah... Good memories.

Riding a bike certainly beats sitting in front of the tv. I had my Kawasaki with me in FL when I worked at Turkey Point. During those 14 months of 6 - 12s, riding my bike to work and back every day were the highlights of my day, especially when a Harley pulled out to pass a car with me and got left!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Hey....I worked at Turkey point back in the mid 80s. I actually worked as a laborer for Bechtel and then as an Insulator for Shook & Fletcher....I used to fly on that stretch between US1 and the powerplant. I used to fly up Cardsound road on my way up from the Keys.

(I was living in Key Largo, at about MM 96)

Brings back memories.:scorched:

I worked at Turkey Point from Jan 11, 2010 until the end of August 2013. Both nuclear units underwent almost $2B in modifications to allow them to increase power output by about 15%. I loved the weather there. About 2 weeks of winter. I do remember riding to work in January in 40 degree temps. Loved the clear water, fishing and snorkeling! The first time I went fishing on the Captain Michael out of Robbies Marina in Islamarada they gave a few of us rods rigged for Grouper instead of bottom fishing rigs and I caught this Goliath Grouper.

001.jpg