IGNORED

uhalling bike

rbig1

well the weather isn't bad here haven't done a lot of riding today. They called me and said it starts right up and runs. So i told them one more time change fuel pump and make sure there is no rust in tank. I dont get it whats the big deal. pump tank dri and wipe out with rags or something. give gas to a kid that has mini bike double fuel filter it and he is set for a while. or drop tank and replace its in writing if needed. stomach is acting up today so staying close to throne. Guess should have stayed home.:225:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of really knowledgeable people on this forum recommended an electric pump be installed because of the likelihood of the chevy cam lobe being worn to the point it isn't working the mechanical pump lever enough. Why not give it a try? In the old days some of my friends would install electric pumps on their cars in series with the mechanical pump to make sure their engines were getting enough fuel on the way down the quarter mile drag strip.

A couple of really knowledgeable people on this forum recommended an electric pump be installed because of the likelihood of the chevy cam lobe being worn to the point it isn't working the mechanical pump lever enough. Why not give it a try? In the old days some of my friends would install electric pumps on their cars in series with the mechanical pump to make sure their engines were getting enough fuel on the way down the quarter mile drag strip.

Hey he got me on this one the other day, His truck is fuel injected and has a pump in the tank.... I thought it was an older truck also just shows how long Frito's truck kept the same design...

If the rig continues to wonder a bit after the wheel bearings are fixed. on the back side of the steering box. there is a big screw with a lock nut. back the nut out 1/4 turn or so and turn the screw inwards. you'll feel the cage "LOAD" up, don't over do it! your just taking the slop out of the cage around the sector shaft. usually a half turn takes care of it.

Hey he got me on this one the other day, His truck is fuel injected and has a pump in the tank.... I thought it was an older truck also just shows how long Frito's truck kept the same design...

You nailed it Snype,, got me on that one too.. For some reason my pea brain was stuck on Rodneys rig being carburated. Like a tattered ol hound dog I was chasing that rabbit,,, then it suddenly dawned I me - I was chasing a deer - not a rabbit!! :doh:

Hope ya got that puppy going again Rbig1 and are :big-grin-emoticon: away as you continue your great adventure!!:thumbsup:

PS - NO,, no no no,, you should not have stayed home = its still winter:cold: and even those pics of "almost summer again" have GOT to be refreshing brother!:guitarist 2: = they sure are for us has beens!!:backinmyday:

well its up and running. going to take off in the early am. So i think... Try to make odessa tx. That is around 430 miles there is rv park with laundry room. tank wasent to bad inside and pump was clean but sock was filthy so hope picked up all the bad with old pump. the place treated me real fare on repair cost. Going to take me a while to straighten up interior. Vat a mess..... and they didnt get grease and hand prints everywhere. now will see if it has fainting goat blood.

Edited by rbig1

WELL shoot wam bam one more time. im at elite cabins going to try to get into chevy garage its 7 mile away monday. ran perefect for 250 miles died just like fuel shut off. the park said i could fix fuel problem here. used washer and dryer tonight. will pull top and look for myself. and have another fuel filter. if tank bad will order and change out. with another pump. replaced relay. i know it the pump as it sounded like it sucked up a cork thump. at least im at big spring tx. made it through dallas:255:

well started it up headed to chevy dealer almost there semi jackknifed on road and blocked it had to back track to different route. Well made it to dealer check engine light was on. I was working at the wrong end of system. Took them a few hours to get it to mess up. Crank position sensor was acting up. I would never have gotten that without a diagnostic tool. Took them a while to pin the problem down to sensor. They tested the circuits for shorts. So im in a super 8 here which is ok as it has been raining most of the day and nite here. maybe just maybe i can get back to enjoying this trip, just wont get to do what i had planed. As all extra cash has been taken care of. The semi was knifed before i got there cops were in charge already. Looked like he missed the exit ramp and lost it. I was on a frontage road in case it layied down never drove over 40mph. :starz:

I had a crank sensor issue on my 96, the wire harness was not routed properly from the factory and the crank sensor wires were just barely touching the dampener. Once it wore thru the insulation then all kinds of weird things happened as it intermittently touched various wires. Took a while to figure that one out to. It just refused to mess up when connected to equipment. Although mine never completely killed the engine, just a quick cough spit and sputter then fine for another week.

I sure hope this is the end of your problems, I think you have used up your quota for this trip.

I had a crank sensor issue on my 96, the wire harness was not routed properly from the factory and the crank sensor wires were just barely touching the dampener. Once it wore thru the insulation then all kinds of weird things happened as it intermittently touched various wires. Took a while to figure that one out to. It just refused to mess up when connected to equipment. Although mine never completely killed the engine, just a quick cough spit and sputter then fine for another week.

I sure hope this is the end of your problems, I think you have used up your quota for this trip.

Crank sensors have been around since they got rid of points. Something has to tell the computer where the engine is so that it knows when to fire the plugs, even your 1st gen has a pair of crank sensors.

That don't make sense doesn't your rotor bug do that.... I know on our bikes the Tci box is basically your rotorbug

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Your first gen does not have a distributor so no rotor to put a bug on. The 1st gen crank sensors are triggered by the magnets in the flywheel which is on the crankshaft. The TCI has no clue where the engine is without the crank sensor. Yes there are some engines that have a distributor and still pick up the engine location from there, but it is not as accurate as the crank. The distributor has slop in the timing chain, then more slop in the gear mesh between the cam and the distributor. ALL engines that have a coil pack and no distributor have to have 1 or more crank sensors.

well they checked out the harness other than oil was good the sensor would go out of range after long use. would have been a hard one to find with out computer hook up. had them thinking. Would have been alot of parts replaced by me before got to that sensor. with out a meter your doomed mine is sitting in garage, good place for it. glad changed fuel pump and inner outer filter though they were filthy stained the cement black. ONE more brake down and every one will see the smoke from the truck not me. will try to be in chat tonight. dont know if i can stay logged in long keep getting knocked off server

well they checked out the harness other than oil was good the sensor would go out of range after long use. would have been a hard one to find with out computer hook up. had them thinking. Would have been alot of parts replaced by me before got to that sensor. with out a meter your doomed mine is sitting in garage, good place for it. glad changed fuel pump and inner outer filter though they were filthy stained the cement black. ONE more brake down and every one will see the smoke from the truck not me. will try to be in chat tonight. dont know if i can stay logged in long keep getting knocked off server

As Trump famously quoted “I would bomb the **** out of them. I’d just bomb those suckers. I’d blow up the pipes, I’d blow up the refineries, I’d blow up every single inch—there would be nothing left.” Sorry had to Rod I couldn't help but think of that when you said we would see smoke!!!

This is a shake down cruise for the truck. Grin and bear it is my recommendation. For those of us who can't afford new everything, we have to fix stuff occasionally. It's not all bad. Like someone else said, I couldn't afford two new cars, new truck, two new motorcycles, and a new boat. My wife has the bought new 2013 Infiniti. I have a 12 year old car, a 15 year old truck. two motorcycles that are 28 and 32 years old, and a boat that is 19 years old. I'm happy with my old stuff for the most part, certainly happy enough that I don't intend to replace it with new stuff no more than I use them.